I had a misunderstanding with my boyfriend, I would like to give him silent treatment but his mother is sick and going for surgery what should I do?

Most Helpful Guy

• The silent treatment is childish passive-aggression, and something you should be well beyond by now, especially since you recognize it is a misunderstanding.
    So, whether you misunderstood him (in which case you have no right to give him the business, it was YOU who misunderstood), or he who misunderstood you (in which case, by seeing it as a misunderstanding, you should be able to recognize, and forgive, his misunderstanding), it should not matter. You should be more mature about this. You should TALK, because COMMUNICATION prevents misunderstandings, and the silent treatment, by definition, is NOT COMMUNICATING.

And you should put his mother's health, and his emotional stress due to her medical condition, at least in this moment, as more important than your hurt feelings over what you admittedly recognize as a misunderstanding, and you should be there for him and sympathetic, not angsty and selfish.

Most Helpful Girl

• Don't give him the silent treatment, he obviously needs you right now. Show love and support, if he can't depend on you during this time he will probably realize that and leave you and then your silent treatment would have been a waste of time anyway. I'm sure you two can talk about it like adults.

What Guys Said 23

• people still do the "silent" treatment? seriously? that childish thing still exists?
    if you are ignoring him, why give a crap about his mom?

• Yeah still happens

• @Moose2coolvargas thats just sad smh... i usually solve all my problems over a bottle... she's mad for the first 30 mins... then really cooperative... lol

• So you think not talking to him about the issue and by extention actively trying to resolve it, is going to fix the problem instead of make it worse and piss him off in the process making him want to ignore you thus perpetuating the issue? Seems like you didn't think this out. Being passive aggressive does nothing but create division so if you want to damage your relationship then use it but otherwise try communicating, it usually works a lot better.

• silent treatment is immature. it is not an effect method of communication and only serves to try and manipulate people to get attention. i think you should ditch the silent treatment in general

• What should you do? You should act like a mature and responsible adult, practice humility, and tell him that you hope his mother does well in her surgery and has a speedy recovery. Then, after a few days, you talk to him about the "misunderstanding" like, again, a mature and responsible adult.

Problem solved *claps dust off hands*

• Grow up.

lh3.googleusercontent.com/.../trix_thumb.jpg

Seriously, consciously acting angry and disrespectful towards him is never a good solution. Use that energy to try to overcome obstacles, not create new ones.

• What are you 12? Silent treatment? What does that solve? Seriously? Why play these stupid games. So you had a fight, everyone does. It is how you handle this that defines who you are and if this will last. You want to be a child and ruin your relationship, continue to act like a child. Grow up and just communicate, get over it and move on.

Silent treatment…. so stupid….

• Silent treatment is for 16 year old drama queens, especially if you're turning the other person away even if they seek to resolve the conflict in a peaceful manner.

• As others have mentioned, the silent treatment is pathetic and I personally don't hesitate to break up with any girl who tries to play that childish game with me.

• I'm not sure the silent treatment solves anything but create distance and mistrust. Have a conversation about your grievance and support him through this time.

• You tell him, "I'm angry with you and we *will* discuss it, but right now your mother is more important. You need my help and you'll get it."

It's called being an adult.

• Just talk it out. I used to do the silent treatment but nothing good comes from it. The only outcome is frustration and an unsolved problem.

• I agree with AHellaNo 100% The silent treatment is not going to do you any good at all, probably only make things worse. Talk it out with him when you guys aren't upset and can think rationally.

• For the sake of the mum, step in and show love.

• If he's anything like me, he might not even be aware that the "silent treatment" is going on. I would just assume she lost her phone, got tuberculosis, is being weird, or all three.

• Hey... go ahead and be a worthless fuck of an asshole. Give him the silent treatment. It just says your more worthless than him because you can't handle stress or being proven differently. People who do the silent treatment need to die a slow painful horrible death. This world would be a better place

• Dont be a dick.
    Let him kn0w yoi are still angry and that you are there for him

• Silent treatment is one of the most childish things a person can do.

It is a form of emotional abuse.

• Well... You do realize he probably needs the support right? If choose to still ignore em you can probably count on being single afterwards :s

• Now's not the time to be childish!

• Stop acting like a child.

• A misunderstanding? A misunderstanding is a bloody misunderstanding. Regardless of other things that is something you should just drop anyhow, figure out how to communicate better in the future and done.

I'd call my 10 year old little brother immature for doing that, you doing it at 30-35? Geesh. Meaning no offense but, geesh.

2 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 11

• ... what do you hope to accomplish via giving him the silent treatment? Do you think you'll actually communicate anything, like being clear with which of his actions specifically didn't sit right with you, via telepathic measures?

• Get over your misunderstanding and be a supportive girlfriend.

• Put this argument aside, His moms sick and this is the time you need to be supportive, not kick him in the balls further when he is already down.

• The silent treatment is pathetic. Don't do it. Talk to him about why you're upset but maybe save it until after his mother's surgery. Support him during this difficult time, if it's not something you can just let go, wait until the timing is better.

• You should never be that childish

• Grow up.

• Don't be a horrible person.

• im sure u already know whats the right choice
    its hard to let go of things especially when you're upset, but there are more important things going on here so

• Swallow your pride and be supportive if you want to continue the relationship. For the sake of his mom.

• Be there for him and his mother and you can talk things out later.

• There are better, more grown up methods to make him pay for whatever he did to you. If you feel like he needs you, set aside your quarrel and be the girlfriend he needs.