Why would anyone date someone they could not see themselves marrying?

If people are looking for a long term relationship, why would they ever date someone they can not see that working in?
Just for the convienience of close, available sex?

I hear people say things like "I could date a person who X, but never marry them."
Why not? Don't you fall in love with the person you are dating? Don't they matter to you, as an individual? What do you do if, after a few years of a good relationship, they want to get married and so you end things because they aren't the type you were looking to marry?

Why would anyone devote time and effort to a relationship that they don't want to last? And if it is just about sex, why not just find a friends with benefits situation, or hook ups, rather than commit to someone that you have no long term plans to actually commit to?

Most Helpful Girl

• Thank you! I've been saying this since I was like 13! This is why I refused to date when I was a teen, because I knew it most likely wouldn't go anywhere.

I HATE when people tell me something like "give him a chance! It's not like you're gonna marry him".
    And then I say "if won't lead to marriage, or a lifelong commitment, it's a waste of my time and his. No thanks".
    Then I'm labeled conceited, bitchy, picky etc.

I date forever or for never. I've always been this way and I can't fathom how people date "just to date".

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 4

• I actually don't see the point either.

• from the get go... no clue

if it's a situation where they thought they could marry the person then something happened to change their mind, but still dating them... emotional attachment perhaps

• I have no idea. Seems like a waste of both people's time.

• I wonder the same thing, partly why i myself have only been in 2 relationships. If i can't see myself marrying you, we are better off just being friends.

What Guys Said 3

• I am not sure it doesn't sound logical, doesn't make sense. You're right. However I think one reason people do that could be to just test the waters and to see how far it goes ( but the already know the end result)

• Great question. I was gonna post this exact question because I've been thinking about it.

• i totally agree and a good post