What would you do if your date is always on the phone?

You're going on a first date with this very attractive girl/guy. You take her/him to a restaurant, not too fancy, but perfect for a first date to get to know each other and have fun.
You sit down, start talking, trying to figure out what to order, and once your order is taken, s/he picks up their phone and starts typing... and keeps typing even after you tried to get the conversation going.

What do you do next?

This is what a dude did... I thought it was hilarious.
http://imgur.com/gallery/xcVfm

• Get up and leave
  • Keep trying to get her to talk
  • You've already ordered, so you eat your meal and then leave
  • You stay... s/he's hot, maybe you get lucky, who knows?
  • Make a scene calling them rude and then storm out of the restaurant
  • Cry cause you're getting no attention

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 25

• I'm patient and gradual when it comes to this so id do a number of things.

if he's texting say for a few seconds then puts it back down, ill be okay, but if he's on it for a long time, ill probably try to distract him at first. u know, maybe hold his hand, act as if he's got something in his hair, etc.

if he's STILL not getting it, then ill just say "I don't mean to sound clingy hun, but I was wondering if maybe you could keep your focus on me. We don't spend much time together and I wanna look into them pretty eyes" ;) or something.

if he STILL doesn't get it... i say this. "ok, i tried, but i can't really be with someone who doesn't really want much to do with me. I'm gonna go."

if he apologises and tells me to stay, ill give him a chance. if not, ill be putting my portion of the bill on the table and I'm out.

• Omg what that dude did is epic!

Well since it would be a dude I would take on a date. First i will pull this trick that I normally do with my boyfriend if he's falling asleep or not looking. The trick is to make it so your boobs show more without them knowing your fixing your shirt. Then you wait to see how long it takes them to even notice your tits are showing a good bit. Though that only works if he looks up at some point. Then through out the thing I probably would have a laser pointer on me. So I would constantly keep shinning it in the dudes eyes. Each time he keeps texting for a bit. The look once dudes finally notice your tits are showing a bit is priceless. :D

Of course I'm still going to eat something because I'll be starving. So I would tell them order what ever you want that it's not a problem. Though towards the end and convince them to have desert. I would get up and find the waiter we had. While he isn't looking would pay for my half of the meal and leave him stuck there for his half not paid.

Ugh I couldn't think of anything better. :(

• Get up and leave! lol

• I would definitely be offended that he would whip out his phone and text a whole lot on our first date. I'd be thinking, "why did you ask me out again?" And I would already plan to not see him again. I myself would get up and leave him there.

• none of the above.

I would be honest with them and tell them it's very rude to do that, I would take their phones and put it inside my purse.

yeah, on the first date, I don't give a damn, I need attention goddamn!

• I'll finish out the date and probably text them later and say something like "thanks for dinner, I think your phone really enjoyed it."

• I'd finish eating then leave. There would be no second date and I don't think I'd respond if they contacted me again haha

• I will order the most expensive thing on the menu, ask if I can get it to go, and then leave my date with the bill.

• I would try to continue the date but one thing is sure, there won't be a second one.

• Eat my meal, pay my own tab like I always do, and then leave.

• this is childish...
    plus posting her vids like that is a violation.
    I d just point out to him to put his phone away and if the date didn t go well I ll just not contact him again and move on.

• It's not a violation if he's not getting any money from those videos. I don't see anything childish, just a guy who made the best out of a bad situation from a rude person.

• Well, there's not much you can do, unless like I said, they're making money off of you, then you can tell them to pull them down.

• eh...:/

• Look here's what id do, I've already ordered and if he's on his phone I don't care I'm at least going to get a good meal out of this. Once I was finished eating I would get up and leave, letting him pay the bill, and then I'd sit in the vet and message his phone asking how his date is going.

• I would eat and ignore him

• First I would finish my meal, then I would finish the date.

• I call on the other line, & say thanks, & tell him to pay the tab, cause I've left & am en route home.

(Or I just say "what's w/ u? Get the fuck off the phone")
    - what's with you & the semi-lame questions anyhow? Are these for real, or dumb on purpose?

• The last part is addressed to the asker

• The one about the bathroom was dumb on purpose, I was having a stressful day with my final project, I needed a laugh xD
      This one was supposed to be funny but it's also serious. I see many couples out on dates that barely talk and always on the phone, so I was curious to see what other GAGers would do. And hey, GAG featured this question saying it was good, sooooo it's not a semi-lame question, ok? :P xD

• He might be an extremely busy professional male with a very demanding job or have a business meeting the next day. If it's work-related I wouldn't care and still go on a second date.

• Show boobs.
    Lol I'm just kidding, definitely get up and fucking leave. I don't even put my phone on the table out of respect to the person I'm having a date with and I have no interest in a person who is constantly on their phone...

• I'm not going to stay and be disrespected. I'm out.

• I would end the date.

• I'd call them out on it. That's just rude :/

• I would leave tbh

• Finish eating then ditch them with the bill

• I'd assume im boring them , so i'd take out my phone and do the same :p

• I would leave but before then ask them to stop and if they don't just leave

• Nothing

What Guys Said 22

• If it is just a short check of the phone every once in awhile, meh, whatever. I can get over that.

If the girl is constantly on her phone and it feels like I'm being ignored, first I'll mention something about it. If she still doesn't get the hint/doesn't care, I'll just eat my meal for what it is worth, and then pay for my stuff. (Definitely wouldn't be paying for her side considering I wouldn't exactly be wanting to give courtesy to someone who was rude like that). I'd leave and count that as a strike, move on, and accept it has a failed date.

So I guess a mixture of B and C. I'm not going to spend the night constantly trying to get her to talk, but I'll try at least a little.

• While I do have a good dose of patience and am just overall very patient in general this kind of stuff kind of annoys me. Call me old fashion but when your on a date with someone whether it be a first date or the hundredth date put your phone away and put your attention on your girl or guy it's rude to be doing that when your with someone and it makes the other person feel neglected or like she or he doesn't care about you or what you think or want at all.

Now if you are expecting an important call or text relating a family or job issue or something like that then I can understand having your phone out and checking it now and then. This goes for friends and strangers to, keep your phone away while talking to people, eye contact and put your attention on them and hope they do the same.

As for what I'd do on the date I'd see the date through to the end because I'm a stand up guy and I don't want to make a scene but unless she put her away her phone and actually gave me some attention there won't be a second date.

• None of the above. She's obviously not into the guy, just there for a free meal because she didn't have any better offers for the evening, so I would get up, ask the waiter to have my order packaged to go, pay for my order, leave, then text her and say, "Sorry, but I just wasn't into it and had to leave, Went home to paint my spare bedroom. Hope you have money for your meal and a ride home."

• I would point out it being rude, look over her shoulder see what she is so engrossed with (just to hammer home how rude it is). If she continues eat my meal pay my half of the bill and leave (probably wouldn't even say anything, not like she would pay attention any way). Honestly why would I do anything else, if she was this disinterested the probability of a second date is slim and even then why would I even want a second one?

• I find it very disrespectful. When om on dates, I make sure to put my txts on vibrate and phone calls on loud (incase of an emergency).

I don't even look at my phone while on a date. If she is constantly looking at her phone and not paying attention to me, then I quickly loose intrest.
    The date last what 45-90 mins if she can't put the phone down for that long I will probably not be intrested in the long run.

• I was friends with a girl who was like this , she'd be at the pub or bar and her phone would never be far away , I'm not sure who she'd be texting or talking to as she'd never be texting me even though she'd talk to me there , it was very annoying and rude , I think its like a bad habit

• Bad, and rude habit.

• yeah its like she had decided this phone was more important than anything else , I wanted to get it and throw it in the lake sometimes but never had the urge , I really should of done that though I regret not doing so

• Make her buy me dessert and then go no contact lol

• Lmaoo i saw this yesterday, good question that guy was fricken hilarious... guess he didn't go to bang town :(

• Yeah, I think he deserved to go out with a bang, he had the balls to do all that xD

• I feel like she was just using him for a free meal :/

• That was my initial thought too. And when she left I was like "... yeah, she didn't pay, she was clearly using him".

• Yeah, I dont think Id want to do dinner for a first date.

• I voted C. I've had this happen, except she was taking pictures of everything! Especially the food!

• I'd compete with the phone, if that doesn't work I'll just text her and make her look dumb before leaving 8)

• I'd be annoyed and probably would try to make it show with a little bit of sarcasm. That, or rush the date blatantly so we can both end soon and leave our ways.

• If I already ordered then I would eat my meal then kick that bitch to the curb.

• I just wanna say good for that guy lol. I'd probably tell them to get off their phone and if they didn't I would saw this is our last date.

• I take this as a sign of lack of interest. I politely endure it, eat my meal, GTFO.

• Would you pay for her meal?

• Unfortunately, I probably would. I have struggled with excessive gallantry above and beyond the call of duty. It's a problem. I would admire any man who refused to pay, though.

• Contemplating this and your follow-up question about paying, I am increasingly conflicted and wonder what any women who might happen upon this thread might think?

Am I right to presume lack of interest? Or should I say something? Maybe I am giving up too easily. Maybe she's just an idiot who _is_ interested, and I just need to make it known she's being rude. If I say something, maybe she'll stop and engage herself in the moment.

Or maybe she's lost interest in me and using her phone as a means of escape.

• Get up and leave.
    She can pay for my meal since she wasted my time.

• I'd leave her ass right then and there. PUT THE FUCKING PHONE DOWN !!

• Take the phone and throw it against the wall

• Grab my fries lemonade and spicy chick fil a sandwich and gtfo AND leave her there

• Delicious food is what I came for. The girl is just decoration.

• That's great

• Lol this is every date I've had.