Is it a red flag that a guy has a so so relationship with his mother?

Is it? Question says it all

Most Helpful Guy

• i think it's something to consider but obviously there is a lot mroe to a person than one relationship in their life.

if a guy is honest, loyal, kind, thoughtful, and has a bad relationship with his mother maybe you just chalk it up to two different conflicting personalities

if a guy is crass, rude, promiscuous, disrespectful, etc, then maybe you take his relationship with his mother into account as a data point in his personality

Most Helpful Girl

• Mommy issues and daddy issues are real. While they don't always have negative effects on how the person is in a relationship, it is possible. I've seen it first hand.

What Guys Said 12

• No. Mothers are crazy so its not really much of an indicator. Its not like all mothers are saints, why can't he have a so so relationship with his mother (personally my mother was emotionally abusive so my relationship is much less then so so)? His actions are the red flags not his relationship to his mother.

• It shouldn't. Just because his relationship with his mother isn't the best, doesn't mean anything. Many people say it'll reflect how he treats women, but that's wrong, there's no correlation.

• From experience, I disagree a bit.

• @CHARismatic110 I can understand why you disagree, I can't argue with other people's experiences, but from MY personal experience (my relationship with my mother), I think there's no correlation, at least not enough to automatically be seen as a red flag.
      My mother wasn't a bitch, or abused me, not at all, but we argued all the time, and I don't treat women in a bad way, quite the opposite.

• Well yeah, I guess everyone's experience is different. It doesn't effect some people. Others it does. I don't necessarily see that as an automatic red flag tho.

• Not always, you have NO IDEA what his mother is like as a person, or what she did or didn't do to/for him.

• no idea. sometimes i think my relationship with her is good. othertimes i just think she's a weird angry b*tch lol
    should it raise any red flags? not in my opinion xD
    not my faullt that my mom is a psycho b*tch! :P (joke lol she isn't a b*tch lol)

• If its his fault then yea maybe. If his mother makes scat porn and his friend know about it, then No.

• Not really. She could be fucking insane. You don't want to be with a limp wristed guy that worships his mother and everything she does, simply because she's his mother.

• It depends on what his mother is like.

• I don't talk to my mom...

• you think all mothers are angels?

• dont they say you judge a man on his relationship with his mother?

• It depends on why the relationship is so-so of course.

As an example my mother left us when I was young. I went to try and fix things and all she did was laugh.
    Now do not get me wrong, I actually love my mother and she's a great woman in her own right. But she treated that incredibly poorly and had I been a more easily influenced person I would probably not have forgiven her.

Our relation today is good. We talk about a little more often than I do with my father, which isn't much but certainly something. I have no qualms against women or any scars or emotional baggage because of it.

However if I had not repaired that relation, I would like to think that would not be seen as my fault. I was a kid, she was a grown woman. In all honesty forcing me to be the mature one between us was a poor move on her part. No matter how difficult the meeting must have been.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 5

• It depends. If he doesn't like his mother because she was super strict or she mistreated him, then that's kinda to be expected. But if he absolutely hates his mother for no goddamn reason, then it could be... :)

• Not always. Children dont always have a wonderful relationship with their parents for whatever reason. It could be something as little as they dont agree on much/have a lot in common. If it was a terrible relationship like they fight all the time and he is rude to her for no reason it could be something deeper emotionaly. I wouldn't worry about it unless he treated women badly or had low opinions on women.

• I'd rather that than have him be a momma's boy.

• No? Maybe his mother is an ass or maybe they just didn't match personality wise.

• No but I did find it a merit that my ex respected his parents. Shoot... Maybe part of the reason he dumped me was me talking sh*t about my family.

• lol me and my ex both talked shit about our families to each other it was hilarious.

• @frozenhorizon Haha, yeah we could love our families but they still tick us off

• Exactly, it doesn't mean I don't care about them but sometimes you need to vent about stupid things they say/do hahaha.