Guys, Guys would you ever date a woman with a mental illness?

Like even if she was taking her medicine and taking care of herself or is it out of the question?

35

Most Helpful Guy

• There are so many different types of mental illnesses that it really just depends. It also depends on how she handles it. A woman that sometimes gets sad and withdrawn is a lot easier to handle, than a women that throws things at me during mood swings.

In fact I would suggest that pretty much everyone has something wrong with them that could be called a mental illness if they went seeking a diagnoses. Finding a "perfect" brain with nothing wrong with it would be extremely rare.

What Guys Said 34

• I'd need to know the condition, and the severity. Just like with any physical illnesses she might have. I'm not exactly healthy as a horse, so I'm not gonna demand perfection from a woman. I just want to know that I can work with whatever I'd be getting.

There was one gal that used to work where I do. Big lady. I wouldn't date her, but I would have gladly been a friend of hers. Though... she quit, and I never got her contact info.

I would've stood up for her too, if she were ever in any kind of danger. This gal, however, was built like a tank, and could probably handle herself just fine without me. She seemed okay to me when I knew her, but rumors were flying that she'd been in a straight jacket. I didn't want to press her for details, but without further context, that little tidbit was not enough to scare me away.

I know how dark my own worries and fantasies can get. Unless her crazy fits can somehow exceed what I can daydream up, I'm not gonna freak out too much.

• My answer would be that it would depend upon the nature of her mental illness.
    If it was depression and/or anxiety, that would be okay. I have walked with the black dog since I was a small child. I understand it and I know that it can be managed.
    If she was bipolar, or had some other psychotic condition, the answer would be a huge no.
    There are two reasons.
    One is that even with the best medication such conditions cannot be controlled completely. One hazard is that, when the symptoms are controlled, it is not uncommon for such patients to decide that they have been 'cured', so stop taking the medication. They fail to understand that there is no cure for their condition, which means that they have it for life. It can be controlled, not cured.
    My biggest objection is that such conditions are hereditary. I would not want to produce children who were prone to that form of mental illness.
    Here in Australia, the statistic released by the government is that a quarter of the adult female population are on some form of prescription psychiatric medication. Imagine how many there are out there who have not been diagnosed and/or medicated. It might not be unreasonable to state that half the adult female population had some form of psychiatric condition.
    In the common vernacular: there are a lot of crazy bitches out there.

• Well I certainly do have empathy for those who have real mental health issues. But in reality I'd have a difficult time dating a woman with those issues. I've hung out with women with those issues and it can be fun. But sometimes I have trouble dealing with my own stress and I can't have the added stress of handling mental health issues at home. I'd probably have to be medicated also. LOL...

And I certainly agree with the hereditary aspect of it!! They could pass it on to their children, and also at the same time, not be able to be a good parent due to their illness.

• @ArrowheadSW Um thats not true at all I am a wonderful parent. I have schizoaffective disorder.

• That is great and I really have to hand it to you and anyone who is a good parent. But what I meant from my above comment (to give it more clarification), is that for a society as a whole, there are more difficulties raising a child or children for those with mental health issues. So being that the odds are stacked against us to an extent anyway, our issues can make it more difficult to cope with the stress of raising a child or a family. But I do have the utmost respect for ANYONE doing a good job of parenting. It is a tough job. As one friend told me, it can give you the BEST of times and also the worst of times, depending on the time... LOL...

• If I was in the dating world then yes I would but since I have given up because I am sick of being treated like shit for no good reason I don't date anymore. :(

• tried it before, it was a nightmare. I wouldn't do it again.

• I think this really depends on what kind of illness she has. If it's bearable then I don't see why not.

• Considering I have one myself yes

• omg two people in a relationship both with an illness is a VERY HARD relationship. I've been there done that... It traumatized me

• Education about each other's illness goes along way to make it possible

• Seems like a big responsibility.. and not sure if I'm that sane myself, I don't think I'd have the skills to deal with the situations that might arise from something like that.

• Probably not in the near future. My mum did not take meds or sought treat. There were many dark days in childhood. Both physical and mental scars haven't not faded. Ask again in 10 years

• Personally I would. I myself have anxiety/OCD so I know what they're going through (if they have something similar to that.
    I would love them for who they are. They can't control this illness and it's really hard to deal with. I would take care of them, never hurt them and be supportive to them. I know how hard it is and would do my best to help them through it.
    Her personality is what matters to me and if she's a match for me, I don't mind dating her if she has an illness. She's the girl I'm looking for and I can deal with it.
    If she's talking her medicine, it shows she wants to be better (I'm on medication) and is determined to do something about it.
    Hope this helps you?
    I'm 18M

• That's a tricky situation. I'd be sympathetic and understanding, given I have my own problems, but at the same time I've dealt with other women with mental illnesses, and I didn't have a great experience. So I'd be reluctant.

• Fuck yeah. Fucked up chicks are the best.

One, they usually like fucked up sex. Two, there's something exciting about talking them down when they threaten to stab you

• Bipolar, borderline and schizophrenia are a nope.

• It depends on the illness but it's not great when she gets extremely needy. Been there, can't recommend it.

• I don't know it would depend on what the illness was and how great she is at staying ahead of it.

• Depends on the mental illness, I don't want to date a person then" they're other personality " hunts me down and kills me.

• No that would be signing off m death warrant.

• Dated a girl with borderline/histrionic personality disorder. Never again.

• I wouldn't.

• I would have to discuss it with the other people in my head first. We may not agree.

• That depends on the girl, how much I love her, and if she'd talk to me about it.

• of course i would

• No I wouldn't. Why would I date someone who isn't mentally stable?

• Considering I have some myself yeah

• i did
    and my answer now is no no no , NOOOOOO
    they are emotional manipulators
    advice to the guy ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun
    dont invest your emotions, wish your causalities are not permanent
    however a guy in the situation won't listen

• Nope
    Sorry, but I need stability

• Yes, but it depends on the illness and on the severity of the symptoms.

• Not if I can help it.

• Sure. My best friend is crazy. :p As in literally.

• Depends if it's serious.

• Depends what it was and the severity...

Are we talking schizo, bipolar, something else?

• More from Guys
    4