Guys, Am I too old for him?

I'm 36, he is 22 almost 23.

We just start to getting to know each other...

Do you think, I'm too old for him? , He is too young for me?

Just would like to know what others might see us, thanks!

Most Helpful Guy

• If you are just looking for a sexual relationship then it is fine. If you want a long term relationship, then it will likely be a problem. Most women can't respect a younger guy as an equal in a long term relationship. Every difference that comes up, eventually serves as a reminder that he isn't on the same level as yourself, and you will most likely contribute that problem to the age gap, even if that difference doesn't actually have anything to do with age.

Female sexuality tends to be different from male sexuality, in that if you don't respect the guy, women have a much harder time remaining attracted to him. This isn't as hard for most guys, that date a younger woman, even though it can happen as well. This makes older women, younger guy relationships very unstable in the long term.

Older women also tend to be more insecure, worrying about the guy going after a woman his own age. Which the fact you are even asking this shows you are insecure about it. Meanwhile I have never seen an older guy ask if a relationship with a younger woman could work. This is because men in general gain confidence over time, as oppose to losing confidence.

As long as you can respect him as an equal, and not let the insecurities get to you, the relationship shouldn't have anymore issues than a relationship with a man your age. So in answer to your question it depends on if you think you can handle the emotional hurdles of dating a younger man. Experience has shown me very few women can do it long term, but some women can.

Most Helpful Girl

• I personally don't understand most of the people in their early 20s but I didn't understand them when I was in my early 20s either... So I don't know.
    Is he emotionally mature enough for you if you are looking for something long term? If it's only a fling then it probably doesn't matter...

• If you were in your late 30s would you date someone much younger like in early 20s? :D

What Guys Said 21

• For dating and having fun, not at all. Age is just a number. But, for getting married and having a family together depends. He may not want kids until he is a bit older, like near 30. That would put you near your mid 40's! Do you want kids that late in life?

• Yes, the age gap is there, it's a little too much but if you both don't mind that then it shouldn't be a problem.

However it's a little weird.

• Ya, a bunch of people would see you and think it's gross or even somehow wrong.

For me personally, it's a little odd. But not "gross" and CERTAINLY not "wrong"

At 23, he can make his own mind up about these things, he could choose to be with you if he wanted. Beyond that its no one else's business. If you guys were together and you made each other happy, that's all that should really matter. And that's exactly what I'd think if I saw you two together.

• My moms friend was nearing 50 when she married a mid 30 year old guy I believe, she looks young and they are happy together, if there's attraction physically and mentally and it's real and not just some game from either one, there's nothing wrong with it. Hell my dream girl is Lindsey Stirling and she's 10 years older than me about and I promise you, I'd ride off into the sunset with her in a heartbeat. Haha I hope it works out for you guys.

• Honestly, yeah it probably is too big of a gap, the maturity level and life experience is way different. If it's something casual / not serious then maybe, for a long term relationship I think it would be problematic because you would be at different places in life. Even when I imagine myself dating someone in the 30-35 age range that seems to be pushing it...

• He is too young for you. Move on to someone else.
    There are a lot of fish in the sea. You are obviously worried about it. Have a relationship without worry...
    It's good for your young boyfriend too.

I would say the same if you were a guy. Just incase you were thinking that...

• Nope Have Fun!

• Yes that's too much of a gap... I am not sure if it will work out..

• Marriage might not work... Ya.

• If you two don't think so, you're not

• Does he want kids and can you provide them if so?

• of course he's too young for you.

• i think its so hard for man to handle it
    be the dominant and play the man role and respecting your age at the same time

• if u guys can keep balance then age is just a number

• it depends. do you see a future with him? if not than no. if you do, go for it.

• is it just for hookup?

• i think the most important thing is what both of you want.

• Why does your age range say 18-24 then?

• Well I'm younger than you and my rule is if they are still young enough to be able to list their age as "almost something" throw 'em back 'cos they are just too young :P

But seriously, it shouldn't matter what we think - it's whether the age gap is an issue for you both and/or in your relationship - surely you must be at very different places in your lives?

2 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 2

• You're both adults so I don't care.

• Yeah but it is not easy to make a long term relationship which can lead to a possible marriage since they have big age diference, right?

• @Dexamethasone they're both adults. They can figure their shit out in their own. I don't care.

• for relationship its a big age gap... for fun its just right..