Can you have a serious relationship with a sober person and a non sober person? can it actually work out?

so i have a coworker that is 22 and im 20 years old. he's nice, and we both like each other. He has asked me to be his girlfriend but i said i want to take things slow and get to know him better since I've had gotten cheated on in my past. so im more cautious. but he does drink and smoke. and i dont. i dont tell him not to do it or say anything about it. its his choice you know. He told me last night he did ecstasy and i feel speechless after that. not sure what my next move is going to be.

but the main question i ask myself and im asking here is do you think a person that does drugs can be in a serious relationship with a person that doesn't do drugs at all? like would it actually last or would it be like a couple of months and a heartache at the end? cause i dont do that few months shit.

Most Helpful Guy

• No you can't because you'll always be #2 after alcohol or drugs

What Guys Said 1

• No a person who does drugs, alcohol, smoking can never be in a serious relationship with a person compared to the person who never does these things.

What Girls Said 1

• Sounds like a risk. In the long run can you see yourself happily together with someone who does those things? Think objectively and be real. I personally think it's asking for trouble because even something as simple as a non smoker with a smoker can be a dealbreaker for many. That's not even adding the drugs and alcohol part. While I'm sure it could work, there's also a part of me that thinks it will get annoying for you.