Can you literally be addicted to a person?

I think that I'm literally addicted to my boyfriend, since I really can't think about anything else than him, I always worry about him when we are apart and he just never gets off my mind. Is it an addiction?

Most Helpful Girl

• This is normal! :) Just be careful to not let him be your entire life! Make sure to still focus on school/work/hobbies, and spend time with your friends!

• tbh i kind of have a problem with the "stay focused on school work" in most classes we sit together and for me its hard to focus on the work when he is right beside me.. what can i do?

• Just do your best! You might need to do a little extra studying at home if you can't focus in class, haha! But with a little bit of time, your feelings will calm down! You might still like him, but he won't be all you can think about! Don't worry, your feelings are totally normal :)

What Guys Said 15

• I think that's essentially how attraction/infatuation works, yeah. The marvels of oxytocin.

• OH, its your lust and your hormones that are doing it don't worry it will change soon.

• It's love I think. Infatuation. Something like that, not addiction. If he ever cheated on you or you no longer loved him you wouldn't be "addicted" anymore.

• Yes, it is called infatuation. This is when you are so enchanted you just cannot see any of their faults. Dangerous ground, get out now.

• I think so. I was literally addicted to this one woman. Not anymore.

• yh ocd, being so needy etc

• yeah iv'e heard of OCD

• @Zendrya nvm didn't rhyme

• sounds like your first love.

• indeed it is

• Hmm.. even I was addicted to a girl.
      I felt same as you, use to think about her every second everyday. I held my phone 24x7 for her messages. Everything seemed perfect, until I fuckwd up my studies. So just make sure the relation doesn't affect your studies.

• thats a problem for me too

• yea like im addicted to games

• without even trying lol

• It's called being an annoying little 14 year old.

• its because u too young for boyfriend..

• honeymoon phase

• Yeah sadly it is. The problem is eventually you won't be. When I was 16 I met a 14 year old freshman and we started dating. Now I'm 18 and we're still together. In the past 2 months we finally got out of that addiction phase. And when you stop being addicted to that person you wonder what's wrong and why your world feels like it's been turned upside down. Be very careful.

• No it's called hormones and perfectly normal at your age.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 9

• no, it's just love hun. i feel this way with my boyfriend too. when he is gone i feel so lonely and bored and i'll admit i can get a little clingy at times, haha. just try not to be too clingy or mention him too much to others and you'll be fine. congrats on being in love. <3

• In fresh love sure, other than that I dont think so. I have a list of additions and people usually aren't on there

• I think it's normal, most everyone I know is addicted to their partner somehow. I am too lol

• It's infatuation.

• No it isn't. You are just in lust

• Not really but just be careful you don't fall into being codependent on him for your happiness

• Oh man! I know exactly how you feeeeellllll!!! :)

• That's nice.

• I'm a licensed therapist and yes, the cortisol levels in your body change when you're near someone you like. So do other various brain chemicals. People do get chemically addicted to each other. That's why break ups hurt so much, you go through withdrawal like a drug addict. But it sounds like you're also going through the infatuation phase of your relationship. Don't lose yourself in this. Do some things for yourself and get some distance. Nobody likes dating a doormat, so you need to do some things for yourself in order to maintain a balance in the relationship. This will make it stronger, I promise.