Non Americans: What are some stereotypes about American guys that you have?

Please state your nationality as well just so I can get an idea of where you are from.

Just some examples:

Here in America Italian, French, and Spanish guys are viewed as hot; sexy; romantic, Russian guys are viewed as kind of harsh or tough, British guys are viewed as sophisticated. What are American guys viewed as from your perspective?

109

Most Helpful Girl

• We're really not that much different than you (I'm Canadian), and I've visited the US quite a few times, so my outlook isn't as dramatic as the rest of the world, who probably only knows about Americans from the media.

In my opinion, I think you guys have a bit of a weight problem. Your portion sizes are large and your food has more salt/sugar in it than Canadian food, so it takes some getting used to.

Your hospitality at hotels and stores is definitely superior to Canadian service.. people are so cheerful and friendly, which I found surprising my first time visiting. For the most part, it seems genuine unlike Canadian stores/restaurants/hotels I've been to (to be fair though I live in Toronto which is a city.. people tend to be more rushed).

I wasn't able to interact with the people a whole lot because I was only there to visit family. I thought everyone seemed normal and nice. I dropped something inside a grocery store and a few people ran up to help, which was extremely nice. I did encounter some rude people but for the most part Americans are very friendly.

Short answer: Americans are friendly, helpful, and have fattening foods so tend to be overweight.

• I am an American, what you say is basically true. Canadians and Americans are very similiar. Our portion sizes... yeah, I sometimes cannot finish the food that I order. I have been in Canada a few times and know many Canadians. Don't consider this offensive but many of us consider Canada to be the 51st state, and as far as I know, we say that with affection. We consider Canadians brothers and sisters to Americans, and you will always be welcome here. Just give us some dang poutine!

Most Helpful Guy

• There's a lot of negative stereotypes about americans but all the guys I've met were really nice. I live in Switzerland but there's americans who work for UBS or Credit Suisse who come over or one guy worked for google aswell.
    I used to play in a fun slowpitch team and play flag football aswell with these guys and it was a lot of fun. I've also been in the U. S. 3 times although 1 visit was only passing by in the airport and I haven't had any bad experiences. I don't like stereotypes anyway it's simple minded to generalise and it has never led to anything good.

What Girls Said 9

• I don't have much of an idea about American guys... Tbh at first I used to think they are racist and kind of ignorant BUT I completely changed the I have on them
    Now I would say, sociable, funny and masculine. Although my first stereotype still stands for some, I can say that my idea of them now is overall positive.
    I'm Tunisian.

• It's an Arab country in North Africa in case you never heard of it.

• Of course I have heard of it, anyone who knows anything about the Punic Wars, knows that the battle of Zama took place in Tunisia and the ancient city of Carthage was located near Tunis.

• Loud and obnoxious, not particularly smart, blindly patriotic, fat and/or ugly.

• Fun, happy go lucky guys who have a balance of everything, not a particular 'attribute' which you could assign to them. Kind who will party all night without a care in the world, so lack seriousness.

• Wow lots of love for us out there in the world. 😒

• I know right, I was expecting just a little more love then I'm seeing. Very interesting to say the least.

• Positive: friendly, funny, hard worker, self esteem
    Negative: Players who leave unwanted child behind

• fat, racist, stupid

• One word = Assholes.

But that's just me... so 😒

• Please elaborate, what has given you this perception of us?

• Everything of the above , I'm not mentioning. I live in the US so I think they're all aholes

• I'm English. I think you are big strong tough and powerful.

• I'm a latina.

Negative stereotypes: American men are shallow and full of themselves, cheaters (because of the hook up culture), they have yellow fever.

Positive stereotypes: I can't think of any.

• Yellow fever? Hahahaha thats actually pretty funny I haven't heard a non American say that about us before, is that referring to Asian women?

• @kstout6 Wrong. Latin America still abides by traditional values. I have not intention of telling you where I'm from, but I don't live in the US. The asker wanted to know about the stereotypes and I told him those I'm aware of. I don't care if you are offended by what I said. Someone asked a question, I answered.

• But if you go to Europe don't expect any of the things you experienced in America not to happen , European men love casual sex sooooooo

What Guys Said 8

• Idiots tbh. pretencious as hell too. everything americans hated about the English, the class system, the dandification, the obsessing over wealth and possessions to the total disregard of humanity, america has adopted all those flaws and practises them.

• 0|0
    • I bet there's a lot of negative views about us in Russia. There's propaganda from both countries. I have a hard time believing that pic isn't a set up though.

• @cavmanier OP asked for a stereotype.
      That's the most common stereotype in 1 picture.

• You're right. I realized that after my comment. There are tons of negative stereotypes here. I agree.

• Not really answering your question but as an Asian American I noticed when talking to foreigners that when I say I'm American they get confused. It's like if your race is Asian it doesn't matter what nationality you cause you're just Asian.

• Wow o. o interesting. I bet they would get confused in a multi cultural city like SF.

• @cavmanier Ahhh, so you live in the more expensive area :P Just across the bridge?
      It is nice up there but I'd imagine it to be boring living there long term.

• Not quite. I don't really want to say lol. It's all pretty expensive over here.

• this won't end too well :|

• Hates Indians.
    Owns BMW.
    Rich and fat.
    Have HOLLYWOOD. ( All the time its only America who saves the entire universe in movies)

From India.

• Gotta love BMW though

• Definitely don't hate Indians. I've literally never seen that attitude here. There only stereotype I've seen about Indians here is that they tend to own convenience stores, which is often true.

• @cavmanier
      Yeah thats true, about the convenience stores.
      Well I have never been to America and all those stereotypes I have is totally based on online experience ( whick I know is not true ) .

• always armed with weapons

• I think it is hard to stereotype the cultures and communities which contain so many type of citizens in it. By the way, I am Turkish.

• Canada.

Mostly we see you as retarded jock wannabes who are full of themselves but ignorant as shit.

Because of things like:
    "We should murder terrorists' family's."
    Met with chants of USA! USA! USA!.

That and "WE'RE THE GREATIST SHIT EVER!!!" To be repeated so as to convince yourselves. The rest of us don't buy it.

• You probably saw that from a very small minority that were shown on the news. I remember recently in a city I live near by there was a lot of rain. In a grocery stores parking lot a there was a huge puddle. There were kids playing in it with a raft. The local news put that on TV with a story about flooding. There wasn't a flood anywhere else near by though, but the camera focused on a small 10 by 10 meter area.

• @cavmanier undeveloped country? There ya go.
      Few political speeches? Maybe you have become numb to the incessant cries of American greatness.

• I didn't mean Canada is undeveloped.

No I've just noticed when statements like that have been said.