Why do some people get mad at you for having high standards?

I personally have high standards if you could say that. If I date or is in a relationship with someone I don't tolerate any shady stuff such as commenting flirty things on other girls pictures for example. If someone hurts me or wrong me I will not forgive unless it is very sincere. I am resentful but I just don't tolerate any trying-to-make-you-jealous-on-purpose or whatever. I often get that I seem cold or people get mad because they think I'm a bitch but really it's not like that. I'm the most loving person but have high standards and don't tolerate anything disrespectful. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Most Helpful Guy

• These examples aren't high standards in my opinion. They should be expected in any relationship. But if there are other things to then I kind of agree with Yanoa, they feel they can't live up to them or a lot of people feel that love should be unconditional. But as I say, your expectations are completely normal and everyone should have them.

Most Helpful Girl

• There are two ways to go about these "high standards" situations... I think
    1. If you are looking for something real and serious, then keep your standards:DO NOT EVER CHANGE THEM COMPLETELY JUST BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE DOES: You can, however, alter them. Let this person know that you are in it for the long haul, and you will not play games!!!
    2. If you are simply looking for a fling, your standards don't matter AS MUCH... They are still important, but since you have no intention of being in a serious real relationship, you won't need to rely on them. It would be strictly a life experience. If you choose this route, you MUST communicate it to your partner. Let them know that you are not in a place right now where you want, need, or are looking for anything serious.

Try to figure out what you want with this person and then talk to them about it. If they are in the 2nd category right now, it would be bad if you were in the first and vice versa. The 1st category lovers will either get their hearts broken or find the love of their life. The 2nd category lovers will either break hearts, or simply have a great learning experience. There is nothing wrong with either of these but the key is communication to make sure each party I on the same wavelength

What Guys Said 3

• Because they can't meet the expactations or have the feeling that they can't do it right for you, no matter what they do

• You police disrespectfulness with controlling behavior that feels like constant surveillance. I'd say that can be a problem.

• Omg what? I think you got me wrong. I mean that when someone does something towards you that feels wrong, something disrespectful or try to hurt you on purpose, I don't put up with that. I leave. I don't see that as controlling though more like having high standards.

• I can mostly relate. My standards aren't that high, but I'm not going to be someone I don't want to

What Girls Said 0