Embarrassing date, did I blow it?

So I chatted up this girl online for a date. I felt a really good connection, so I said let's go skating and grab some food. There is this cool roller skating rink where they play 80s music, it's cheesy but loads of fun.

Anyway, we meet up before hand, and she shows up dressed in like a turtleneck under a fur lined hoodie, and this big coat, hat, scarf, some kind of warm pant. Bundled.

I'm confused, it's warm out, we're going to a warm roller skating arena. Then it hit me... can you guess? She thought ice skating lol...

Ok so whatever laugh it off, but she just felt and looked so awkward the whole time. I held her coat while we roller skated, but she was still way overdressed and her cheeks were pretty red. She didn't complain, and one point told me she was wearing long johns under, so I asked her if she wanted to change and she just said no.

I tried to play it cool, but even over dinner she looked like she was feeling awkward. Did I blow the date?

Most Helpful Girl

• When you asked her out did you just say "let's go skating" or did you mention the roller rink? If you didn't specifically mention roller rink why on earth would she assume anything other than ice skating? No one calls roller skating "skating" ... NO ONE.

Honestly if I was her I'd have beenough pretty annoyed and would have expected you to change plans and go ice skating once you saw how I was dressed but probably would have still just went with it like she did. If I liked the guy enough I'd give him another chance but I won't lie to ya - this is a pretty poor first impression.

• Actually my friend calls ot skating. For her birthfay she invited me and told me wed be skating. So i dressed warm showed up and turns out. Yeah, no. Not ice skating.

• I would assume skateboarding lmao.

• Who on earth calls it roller skating? Everyone I know calls it skating.

Most Helpful Guy

• No man you did nothing wrong (besides non specify it wasn't ice skating of course).

I think you should invite her again and take her to Ice skating that would be funny. It is normal she felt weird because of her mistake but you should invite her again so she will not believe that you think she is an idiot. :V

What Girls Said 20

• That definitely isn't your fault, but she may feel awkward about going on another date as she may think that she's the one who blew it. I would feel so dumb if that happened to me. Maybe you should call her and tell her you understood what she was thinking and apologize for not specifying, then ask her on a "make-up" date.

• It sounds like she just felt embarrassed, not like she was annoyed at you or anything. She's probably feeling dumb and super awkward. Granted you maybe should've specified and perhaps switched your plans to actually go ice skating but oh well its over... if she doesn't reach out to you you can try asking her out again and see how she responds

• Thanks for the vote of confidence. I tried to play it cool, but honestly it never occurred to me on the spot to just go ice skating instead, seems obvious now. Maybe she was embarrassed, but I suggested she just go take off her long johns in the washroom, but she was like "no, it's ok", which means she kept being overdressed even during dinner, maybe that's why the awkwardness kept up?

• Hahahah to me it just seems awkward but in a cute way :P
    U didn't blow it. If u get along good in future, you can just remember this as funny situation u had.

• Nah, I don't think you blew it. This story is super awkward but equally endearing. If it was I who had bundled up thinking we'd be ice skating, I'd feel embarrassed. I doubt she's thinking you're the one that screwed up. I think she'd probably feel like the awkward one. Just reach out to her and let her know you had a good time and you'd love to hang again. Put it behind you and start more goofy memories.

• haha thanks for the message, reading the story again I feel the same way. But if you bundled up, wouldn't you at least change clothes? Take off a layer? She literally wore her layers out to dinner. I tried to play it cool but she was even then visibly awkward lol...

• Just looks like there was just some miscommunication. Just saying skating could be interpreted two ways. Roller skating and ice skating. She probably felt extremely embarrassed and stupid. But hopefully y'all can still date and later on y'all will get to the point where u can laugh about it.

• She's probably really embarrassed. I'd say maybe apologize for being unclear and offering something else that probably can't get easily confused. Maybe relate a sorry of something similar when you talk about it. If a lot of time passed you probably dont need to mention it at all

• I feel like this is one of those things to tell the grandkids hahaha but seriously tell her if she would like to go out again, say she can pick the place this time :)

• She was probably embarrassed, you didn't do anything wrong.

• thanks, she looked awkward the whole time, I like her but I thought I blew it lol...

• No you didn't blow it. Sounds like you were a perfect gentleman. This is def something you two can laugh about in the future!

• No! Haha I think this is really cute and if the relationship developes more, can be a great joke between the two of you later on

• Lol why would you think you did? She's probably super embarrassed more than you! You guys should have a second to make up for the confusion, so you both can focus on each other instead of how embarrassed you each are lololol

• I think it is a cool story. i would apologies, and ask her out again, and be more specific this time around. If she had fun, she will definitely want to see you again

• I don't think you blowed the date, it was a little misunderstanding. I think she should have just changed into something cooler while she was there. But if she was still awkward during dinner, then I think maybe she's still embarrassed, or she's just shy. Either way, just keep hanging out, she'll loosen up.

• I know! Why didn't' she just take off the long johns, she had a whole layer on top? No clue, and she looked pretty awkward during dinner in all those clothes, I just hope she wasn't so embarrassed she won't want to see me again.

• She was embarrassed for herself , not you

• I would have offered to take her home and let her change though.

• I literally asked her if she wanted to go take off a layer in the washroom, but she said no she's fine, but she clearly was overdressed... not sure what do make of that...

• She was just embarrassed probably and didn't wanna make a fuss out of anything. Next time be more specific with her , but usually " skating " means just regular rollar skating , not ice skating

• She probably felt dumb that she took it the opposite way, she may feel awkward going on another date but it's a funny first-date story!

• she might be trying to hide her figure

• She had a good body... I think lol... but yeah she was wearing a lot of layers so I'm not sure how that could have helped her figure?

• I don't know but lots of skinny girls think they're fat

• No it was just a miss understanding; )

• No you didn't blow it. She probably thinks she did. You didn't embarrass her and were kind and held her coat. Ask her out again on another date, she probably feels like she messed up.

• Here we say rollerblading... I guess for good reason. Anyway, I don't think you blew it at all. I think it'll seem like a nice date if you guys ever look back on it. I know I enjoyed reading about it.

• You didn't do anything wrong. She was probably feeling embarrassed because she thought you'd go ice-skating. Ask her out again.

• Thanks! I'll try a second date, I'm encouraged by these comments! The only thing is if she was embarrassed, why not take off a layer? She had a whole long johns thing going on, and just just said that she was fine, and so the awkwardness continued over dinner too... any ideas why she was like that?

• she was very embarrassed that she doesn't know what to do anymore or she is shy... and until dinner, it's a bad day for her so everything is not good (imo)... second date coming soon~!

What Guys Said 16

• Somewhere out there, there's a girl thinking to herself "Gosh!! I hope I didn't blow it. I can't believe I didn't ask him if he meant ice skating or roller skating!"

Don't worry bud. As long as you treated her well, and didn't make her feel awkward, you should be fine.

Here's a story that may make you feel better. One day, my ex asked me why I was always busy - it was a busy month for me. I told her that I was trying to balance our relationship, work, and hobbies. She laughed and said, "Okay, well I'm coming with you on the next activity that you do." I called her 2 mornings later and told her I was going to have a busy day. She said she was coming. I told her it wouldn't be a good idea. I could tell she was getting annoyed, so I told her I was going to be painting and that she wouldn't like it.
    She laughed and said that she loved painting. So, I texted her the address where I would be. She eventually shows up with art brushes and a tiny pallet of paint.
    ... I was helping a home owner paint his home.

• She may be feeling that she looked foolish by assuming what you meant without asking. You can prove what a gentleman you are by accepting all of the blame and apologizing for not being more explicit. You may get a second date with her.

• nah... you're good... next time though... be more specific.
    she was a champ for sticking it out though... good girl.. some would have just cancelled.

• Call her, tell her that you enjoyed spending time with her and apologize for not giving her the detail she needed for the date... explain that you failed to let her know that you planned for roller skating, not ice skating. Ask her if she was hoping for ice skating... if she was, obligate to take her for ice skating. Always compliment her on her beauty and how kind she was with you during the date. She'll open up and then ask for another date... let her name what she would like to do.

• I think it was just miscommunication I mean it wasn't necessarily your fault, you just should have been more clear is all, or maybe you were and she misunderstood who knows.

Just let her know that accept the blame and that your sorry if there was some miscommunication and that if she'd like to you'd like to try and go out again but this time be more clear lol.

• It makes for a cute first date story. If she's mature she'll understand the misunderstanding. Ask her out again, bring a bunch of winter clothes, show her them and say "I brought these just in case so we could match :-)"

• To be honest.. she's probably thinking this same thing... "It was really embarrassing; did I blow it?"

You didn't do anything wrong (and she didn't really either) :D

If anyone's gotta be more embarrassed, it'd be her. Don't worry about it :P

• Hmm.. well you asked her out for skating so obviously she assumed ice skating and wrote whatever according to that...
    But you should have mentioned that you actually wanted to go to warm roller skating arena...

Secondly after seeing what she dressed you should have improvised and gone for ice skating...
    Which you didn't do...
    Lol so yes it's a poor first date impression..
    I don't know if you really blew it or not but poor decisions I would say for sure

• This is why being very specific and descriptive about what you're doing matters!

Better to have too many details, than not enough details.

• who gets that dressed up for ice skating anyway? long johns, turtle neck, and a fur coat?

its not that cold in an ice skating rink lol. still, i dont tink you blew it, just phone her and say you had a good time and that you're sorry about the miscommunication. it may end up being something you can look back on and laugh.

at least you have broken the ice now, no pun intended haha.

• hahaha, I don't know, I didn't dress her. She didn't have a fur coat though, it was like a hoodie, but the inside was made of fur, I'm not sure if you have seen those before. But yeah, long johns? No clue.

• No, you didn't. The fact that you both laughed about it is a good sign I think. Just be more clear in the future and I think you will do fine.

• here's what i propably did in this situation...

take her out of there. go to a shop... buy her reasonable clothes then do whatever she want

... you may lose some money but gain score ;)

• By all means ask her out again.
    If you do so light-heartedly, turning it around, making an obvious mistake at YOUR expense, she will probably see the humorous side.

• she was there because she likes u. no u didn't blow it.

• Nah dude obviously she messed up but just laugh it off and go out again

• Nah. You should definetly ask her out again. She's probably sitting at home going "he probably thinks I'm so stupid. He's not going to call" which is why you definetly should.