Do you think this is immature?

I broke up with my boyfriend and I deleted his facebook and blocked his number. Actually i am pretending that i never met him and is working but my friend told me that is immature and that i am just avoiding all the problem.
I feel that maybe it will be better if i act like i never met him but now i feel bad.

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think it's automatically immature. It depends on a lot of things: why you broke up with him, how long you were together, whether you have mutual friends/how often you might see him unintentionally, etc. Breakups are hard, especially if you've been with the person for a while. Even if there was a really good reason for breaking up, and even if the relationship was unhealthy, it can be natural to see an ex as a source of comfort and familiarity. That can lead to mixed signals and lingering feelings, both of which just draw out a problematic relationship. I don't think there's anything wrong with ripping off the bandage, so to speak, and removing someone from your life entirely, at least for as long as it takes for the wounded relationship to heal.

That all being said, if your boyfriend is someone you'll have to interact with in the future, it would be immature to act like you never met him. A big part of maturity is learning how to be civil with people you don't want to see.

Most Helpful Girl

• Don't play games if it's a ploy to hurt him or even to get him back but blocking him out isn't immature in itself. But what you need. To do in addition is go on and live your life, fill your mind with other things and activities and just keep moving forward. What was the reason you broke up w/him?

• I moved to other country and he didn't want a long distance relationship (me neither i think) so i guess i don't have to worry about seeing him daily.

• Block him out and move forward. You weren't immature at all.

What Guys Said 14

• Avoiding what problem? There is no problem, you don't have to stay friends with him. There's nothing wrong with doing what you're doing, especially if it was a bad break up. I'll never understand people who stay in touch and stay friends with exes, it's almost as if they do it because they think they're "supposed" to, which is stupid.

• Acting like you never met him is immature indeed. My ex did the same, and she was as childish as it gets. Went into my work and talked to me as if she just were another client. Like, why do you get so angry just because you two broke up? Deleting him on facebook and blocking his number is OK, but if you see him sometime, you should just say "hi" like you would do with any acquaintance, in my opinion.

• I don't think that we will see each other again because I moved to another country and that is why we broke up and i am sorry about your experience, I think that was too extreme.

• thank you!

• You're welcome

• To much its like you want to teach him a hard lesson

• I don't, i am just trying to move on.

• Yeah but what if he needs something back or wants. To ask you one last question?

• No, it's NOT immature. The last thing you want is constant reminders of what was, and what might have been. You're doing the right thing by moving on and ignoring him. Maybe in the future, when you're settled with another guy, quietly remove the blocks if you feel you can. If not, it doesn't matter.

• Well, if you've decided that it is final and you don't want him in your life anymore that's that. It's nice if some closure can occur between two people, but that's rarely the case in break ups...

• I don't think it's necessarily immature, but normally I'd just recommend not messaging him on facebook (you can delete him if you want, it's not a must), and don't block his number unless he's harassing you.

Just realize that the past is the past and hiding the past from yourself doesn't make it go away.

• Without knowing the problem (s) it's kind of hard to comment on this. You could have very good reasons to not want to have anything to do with him in which case this isn't immature. If you truly want nothing more to do with him this is fine. If you're only doing to get to him though, then it might be a bit immature.

• Seems okay to me... he's ancient history, so it's fine to get rid of all traces of him

• What you're doing is probably the quickest way to get over him. I don't see a problem with it.

• If the breakup was painful for you then it makes sense to get rid of any reminders of him.

• yeah this is too much immature of you.

• Immature baby

• yes it is

• Its a way of healing don't listen to your friend

What Girls Said 11

• Who cares if it is or isn't! If this helps you get over someone then do what you need to do that! Breaking up sucks and if you are adamant in your decision to break up with him you do not want to have that "soft" moment where you take him back if he asks or are tempted to call him or check his Facebook. I totally get it and might do the same. If people think it is immature, good for them, I gotta do what I gotta do to get over him that is all that matters to me.

• Depends on your reasoning.

• You can try making peace, that's what some people would do but some say exes are exes for a reason buh bye

• You are not immature. A clean break heals faster.

• Went through the same situation, and no it's not immature, sometimes it's better just to stay away from your ex and not talk to him until you feel your over the situation and can move on. Seeing and talking to your ex only makes the situation worse in my opinion.

• it's not immature, you're just trying to get over him. I do the same thing but it doesn't always work out that way. you get pulled back in.

• Yup. Its pretty immature.

• well, it depends on why it happened. if he cheated on you, that's proper behavior, I would do the same thing. But, if it's not that bad he might need closure in order to move on.

• It is kinda immature that you are doibg that to him.

• If you two are broken up I don't see why there would be any more contact between you both? I don't think that's immature of you. If it's your way of moving forward, than whatever works best for you!

• I think you are doing what you need too not what your friends need you to do. This break up is about you getting over it