How much of an age gap is still normal?

Im 18 and met a guy who is 27 last night. He was kinda nice, although I lost my interest when he got too handsy.

It got me wondering though, what kind of age gap would you still consider normal? Of course I know there are happy exceptions to any rule, but I mean in general.

Most Helpful Guy

• You are at different points in your life. I wouldn't consider an age gap unless we are at the same point in our lives. Because if he wants to start a family and you are still studying, it isen't ideal or fair on both of you.

• That's exactly what I meant.

Most Helpful Girl

• I know hundreds and hundreds of married couples, mb even a thousand.

In the VAST majority of the best-functioning couples -- where "best-functioning" includes sexuality, logistics, emotional compatibility, finances, and just big life decisions in general -- the husband is 5 to 12 years older than the wife.
    Like, at least 97 percent of the best-functioning couples.

A 9-year age difference seems big now, but it will seem smaller and smaller as time goes on.

Honestly, if you get together with someone that age, and the two of you are still together just 1-2 years from now, you'll probably have forgotten all about the age difference -- unless some conversation comes up in which it's specifically a relevant issue (e. g. timing of having children).
    Otherwise, literally, you will just forget that the difference even exists.

(Until he asks whether you remember something that happened years before you were born, and then you can have a good laugh together.)

What Guys Said 25

• There is no general rule. If you're comfortable with them, it's good. Now there are some things to consider:
    - Is he in a different place in his life so there's built in conflict possibly. An example is a 40s man dating a 20s woman. He's probably already had children and may not want any more whereas she does eventually. He's focused on his career and building retirement savings and she's ready to party. You see what I mean?
    - If he's getting into his senior years where he may start to lose sexual function while her libido is on the way up. Not all men lose it but to do that they have to use it.

• The half age plus seven rule still applies.

27 ÷ 2 = 13.5 → 13

13 + 7 = 20

As a 27 year old, he should not date younger than a 20 year old. You're too young I'm afraid.

• 4 year old guy: 4 ÷ 2 = 2
      2 + 7 = 9
      So the girl you at least be 9, right?
      I don't really believe in that kind of rule, althogh I agree he was probably too old.

• lol dude... 7 minutes is enough time for me to read about 10,000 words. mb i'll check that out when i have a mo'

• 5 year age difference acceptable in - USA
    30 year age difference acceptable in - Mideastern countries

Question successfully answered, moving on to next question

• I am closer to 50 than to 40 and my girlfriend is 20. Her mom is 2 years older than I am, and she is the baby of the family.

I know a happily married couple of 10 years with a 30 years difference.

Age matters only to the extent that the couple want it too. There are practical matters when you talk about kids, but those can be worked out.

• Once you hit 18 it no longer matters. If you like an old timer and your happy then go for it

• If it's a great match, who cares! It's not easy always to find a great match so if age is like the only thing standing in your way no worries

• 10% difference in age is no problem. 15 % is stretching it a bit. 20% difference starts being much in my opinion.

• So 3,6 years older is already a problem at 18?

• It starts being a possible problem in my opinion.

• The older (and more mature ) the youngest gets, the less problem, of course.

• psychology today says the average women matures and becomes mentally stable around 26. i also read men are more mature after adolescence marginally.

id say when both are past mid 20s it matters much less...

i personally felt these nubers are accurate dating anything under 25 as a 30 yr old man

• That's funny I just read that you should be in a range not more then half your age plus seven... so if that is accurate you are with in the acceptable range but like you said there are exceptions to every rule and what is important is that you are comfortable with the other person.

• It's not accurate, only accidentally accurate for some ages.

• I agree, there are a lot of things to consider if you are considering a relationship with someone older or younger..

• Quite simply, what ever YOU feel comfortable with. It's no one else's business.

• If you were 20 and the guy 30, it would feel alright for me (see this is always a personal view, not a science)

For -20 i think it's better younger guys like max 25, but again... depends on peoeple's head.

• In general 1/2 the guys age plus 7. Or the girl's age -7 times 2.

• A 27 year old hitting on an 18 year old to me means he is a loser and girls his age know it so he goes for the very young.

• I'd say a 3 year age gap max, probably even less though. I would date a younger girl but I could not see myself dating a girl older than me, unless she was really into me and I liked her a lot.

• I usually stick close to my own age, too. But I know a 28 and a 29 y/o girl dating girls aged 20&19. They seem happy.

• It can definitely work, all depends on the people involved.

• my parent's have 10 years difference... so that's okay for me too.

• If chick isn't hot

• There's no problem in age as long as you're gonna stay together. I'm coming from India and can found 10 or 15 years differences between ages are not so big issue

• My grandfather remarried a woman back in the 1980's that was almost 20 years his younger. My other grandparents where 17 years apart. My ex-wife was 4 years older than I am. I think it depends on the individuals.

• In my opinion both gender relative equally reaches maturity , both are different and it is fine

• +/- 2 years I say otherwise it's gross.

• that's not a big age gap tbh

• Once you hit 18, then age is just a number. It depends on the maturity of both people involved in the relationship.

Honestly 18 and 27 is not a big age gap to me.

• The Ideal age gap is about 5 years in my opinion well if its more than then its fine as long as he's not old enough to be your dad

• to be honest 10 years is the limit i think. but as long as i find horny and curious 18-22 year olds willing to fuck me, i'll happily succumb... .

• I dates a girl 17 years younger

What Girls Said 16

• Sometimes I think "age is just a number". When I was a freshman in highschool I was dating a senior. That gap seems small, but it was big back then. 😂
    I don't think it should really matter. As long as you both truly care for each other. Or are both interested in each other.
    But even as I say that. And truly stand by what I say, I can't help but cringe when I see a 50 year old with someone younger than their children. Man or woman.
    Maybe society has just trained me that way.
    But age really shouldn't matter as long as the relationship works.

• I don't think +3 years is your max rn. After that you start running into issues with drinking and post college.

• When I was 18 I met a guy who was 27. He turned out to be a jerk. But to be honest, age is really just a number. As long as it's legal, it's okay.

• When you're still a teen, every year counts and makes a big difference. But once you hit your 20s I think it starts to matter less and less.

• My parents have a 9 year age gap and I think they are fine. There is nothing wrong with this gap. I know it seems like a large gap at your age but it really isn't. My parents were married with their first child when the youngest of the two was 21.

I also am friends with a 17 year old who has a 28 year old boy friend I don't think there is anything wrong with age gaps as long as both partners are happy in the relationship and feel equals.

• To me it really just depends! To me 18 and 27 is a huge gap and a difference as opposed to being 21 and dating a 28 year old, you two have a totally different mind set and maturity level. And another thing, it's also very common that a 27 year old guy would play or use an 18 year old girl for sex, and not be interested in any real relationship.

• 5 to 9 years.. I guess.. for me at least..

• For me I wouldn't go more 10 years older and 2 years younger. So accirding to MY rang

• --> according to my range yeah it's normal. Although I'm pushing it here, ideally it would be no more than 7 years older and a few months younger.

• If both parties are of age and you have common interests and all that... who cares what the age difference is. Its just a number. My boyfriend now is 9 Yeats older than me. My previous one 14 years. No big.

• That's too huge of an age gap at your age. Bring it down to at least 24. If he can't find a girl his age he's probably immature.

• I have actually conversed with a man that was almost 20 years older than me. I believe its all about the maturity level that both of you have. I think that love has no age unless its illegal.

• depends on the age, really. for me, personally, I go from one year younger to 5 years older. So, if i was single my options would be limited to men 21-27 years old.

• Normal? four years at the maximum

• I think 4-7 years is no problem

• I wouldn't mind a 20 y gap, but then again I'm all about 'em older men.

• It depends on the person. I used to date a guy who was 10 years younger and never felt the age difference mainly because I like younger guys. With that in mind, I would never date a guy who's 10 years older but that's just me.