Boyfriend lost his job... is this permanent?

We were good friends for about 1.5 years before we started dating. 3 weeks after we officialy started dating, he lost his job. It has been almost 6 months and he has not even tried to look for a job. I love him, but I don't know what to do. We wanted to move in together, but I decided not to because his sleeping schedule interfers with mine (you will see in just a moment.)
I am a senior in college, I work, and I am an active member of our church. This is our daily schedue: He stays up till 4 or 5am playing video games with his friends, and wakes up at 4 or 5 in the day. I'll come over, we will eat something, then maybe for an hour play video games together, and by 7pm his friends are online again and they play while I go home. I have tried to take him with me to fun things in the day... but he sleeps till 4 or 5 and "forgets" to go to sleep early enough to come with me. It's come to the point where I am hanging out with male friends because I do not feel any companionship with my boyfriend. All we talk about is his new score in a video game, or his dreams during the 'night'.
I love him a lot, and I THOUGHT he would make a wonderful husband, but not like this.
Is this something permanent, or is this just a stage of unemployment?

I do try to take him somewhere fun, but he makes no effort to fix his sleeping schedule. It's hard to do things with him, when I see him at 5.30, and his friends come online at 7.00 and I play with them for a bit, before I have to go to sleep.

We don't cuddle... if we watch movies we sit on opposite sides. We are both in our late 20's and I am starting to think about my future.

Most Helpful Guy

• 6 months? if it was a couple weeks or even a month or two without a job i could see it being a stage but 6 months is a trend.

clearly he's not really motivated. there could be a bunch of reasons but it's obvious he needs to get his stuff together and get a job.

Most Helpful Girl

• Break up with him. It won't last. You will end up being miserable with him.

What Guys Said 2

• 6 months of not trying to get a job is not temporary. Find someone who is smart enough to know what he needs to do.

• Yea you need to break up, he's not even trying to get a job wtf

• Could it just be depression? I am in my late 20's and I want a serious relationship. I don't want this in my future, but I need to know if just because he lost a great job, or if its who he is as a person?

What Girls Said 0