Do you think once a cheater always a cheater or do you have faith that that person will change?

• once a cheater always a cheater
  • I believe in the good of humanity
  • other (please comment)

Most Helpful Guy

• Do I think that they are garanteed to cheat on me just because they cheated in the past?

-No

Do I believe they are more likely to cheat on me compared to someone who has never cheated before?

-Yes, I think the first time doing something is usually the hardest but once you cross that initial line/barrier for the first time, it becomes increasingly easier to cross each additional time you do it. So someone who has cheated before will probably find it easier to cheat and cross that line again compared to someone who has never crossed it before.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it depends. If you are in a committed relationship and you go out and have too many drinks and go home with someone you just met, wake up realizing what you did and feel horrible, you can change. People make mistakes. However, if you are seeing this person, hanging out with them, and connecting with them before you 'cheat' then no you most likely will not change. It's very hard to distinguish between these two. Sometimes, a cheater IS born by going to a bar and sleeping with a random person. I have never cheated, and I do not think I will. I have control of myself, and if I find myself taking a liking to someone other than my boyfriend, I push myself away as fast as possible. I have told this to my boyfriend: If you make a mistake, you tell me right away. It will be so much easier for me than to hear about it from friends, or find out months later. Will I stay with you? I don't know. But admitting you are in the wrong and asking for forgiveness shows courage and trust, and that earns you a tiny amount of brownie points.

What Guys Said 8

• Well statisticly those who cheat have a much higher probability of cheating again. So while it is entirely possible for a person to change, generally people don't. So if they are to change it would depend on both the person and the circumstances of the cheating. Either way it would be a risk.

• People CAN change, but it has to come from the inside, and because THEY want to.

9/10, this does NOT happen. But there are some exceptions.

I'll tell you this much though. Those people? You know, the kind that like to believe everyone can change ALL the time? They're the ones who constantly get FUCKED over by people and always wonder WHY.

That's fine though, they're free to bang their head against a wall all they want. I guess they like to be gluttons for punishment or something.

• Yes, I always believe that once a cheater is always a cheater. There is every chance they will keep doing it again and again.

• I think they can learn from their mistakes but it depends. If someone is older than like 24, and/or they have done it several times, then yeah it's probably not going to change. If they've just done it once or they're very young then sure it could change.

• B. Definitely.

• The best solution for a cheater is to find another one. Lol. But I voted B.

• One a person cheats they will always cheat.

• Whoever believes once and always generally... they're just idiots... people change...

What Girls Said 11

• Other: if I guy is late 20'summer and cheated once in high school, more recent behavior would indicate he changed. If a guy has cheated recently, or has a history of regularly cheating, then I wouldn't give him the chance. The best indicator of future behavior is past behavior. The only way someone can change is if he or she has decided on their own to change and is working on the changes, actively, on their own.

I will make the exception though for the guy who cheated once, but doesn't have a PATTERN of cheating. Especially if he seems very remorseful of it (but it has to be sincere remorse. Not just saying something like karma is a bitch and I eventually got cheated on back or something).

• Yes they can change. Once they meet that specific person it can actually allow them to change their life around and renew themselves to start fresh. I've seen it before and it is possible. Because some people encounter someone that makes them want to change their wrong ways in order to please their significant other and if they see a future with that person and a relationship. My dad used to be a cheater and slept around, disrespected women etc. But he met my mom and seen there was something different about her.. He eventually turned his life to christ and turned his life around just to live a complete life with his wife for eternity. Till this day they're still together and i love both of my parents.. So people can change "big time".

• People can change if they want to. But if a guy confesses to me that he has cheated in the past, I'm not going to take the risk and find out for myself if he's ever going to do it again.

• I have zero faith in humanity. That said, people don't change overnight. So definitely once a cheater always a cheater.

• Personally I think thats crap. Every time you give into an impulse (which most guys will have at some point) you're making a choice. You can easily do it once and never again.

• There is no faith that they will change, once they cheat they will do it again no matter what.

• OHHH yea once a cheater always a cheater. They never change.

• Mmm, I have no faith tbh.

• This depends on the situation. People cheat for a number of reasons. If someone cheated on another girl, that doesn't mean they will cheat on me exactly. However if they had cheated on ME the first time, then yes I believe they would do it again.

• I cheated once but I never did again... People can change especially depending on what age they are the younger the more likely to change.

• I don't believe in absolutes like that. I would judge it on a case by case basis. Why did the person cheat? Was it a one time thing or an ongoing affair? Are there any other issues in the relationship? How valuable is this relationship to me, or to us? Is there a way to reconcile, is it even worth it, or no? etc.