So, don't you think most G@Gers have unrealistic expectations?

Yesterday, G@G swapped sex/gender of the users for some fun and we appreciated it by putting a pic of our crush (probably)

Most girls had the pic of a tanned, ripped, strong jawline, no body hair man. Some had classy facial hair and some had tattoos too

Guys' expectations were obvious. Big boobs, big ass and a face of your average Instagram chick.

Now, the question is... aren't the beauty standards pretty much clear? Do YOU think your future SO will look like this? How happy are you with your current SO not looking like this? How strict are your preferences? Did the expectations of the opposite sex made you feel better or worse?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm in a relationship so I'll answer your questions from that perspective.

My boyfriend doesn't look like the description you put, and I've never been attracted to the "muscular type."

Are the beauty standards clear? I would say the general expectations of perfect "hot" person are clear, I've just never been attracted to it. I do consider that guy hot and guys I'm attracted to cute because of social norms.

Do I think my future s/o will look like this? I hope not.

Am I happy with my current so not looking like that? YES! I love how my so looks. And I love how he acts too!

How strict are my preferences? I'd say my preferences are generally pretty relaxed. I've dated a variety of "body types". I just have never dated the particular type of guy you described. I'm simply not attracted to alpha male types.

Did the expectations make me feel better or worse? If I'm being honest I was pretty oblivious. I spent most the evening with my daughter and boyfriend and we were having a great time so I didn't pay much attention to gag.

Most Helpful Guy

• What we ideally want and what we're okay with is totally different.
    Also, why should we settle for less?

• So, ultimately my statement made sense as you "ideally" want those, but you're actually "okay" with totally different and that's why most users are saying that it was not serious. Because they're okay with far less.

Never said you should settle for less. Personally, I have astonishing standards too.

• Well... at least the guys did

• Thanks dude

What Girls Said 18

• I don't really think that all of those pictures were about what people found attractive. Most people tended to be mocking the other sex so it was really just playing up to stereotypes, y'know? The Alpha/sloot stereotype or whatever :P

My SO deeeeeeeefinitely doesn't look like the Alpha stereotype. He's tall, sure, but he's also really slim without muscles, he's pale rather than tanned, he has super long hair (down to the small of his back) so he definitely doesn't look like them but that suits me 'cause they're not really my type anyway, y'know? I don't like muscles, for example. My preferences aren't that strict, I don't think. The only real one is no really defined musculature. Seeing the pictures the guys used when pretending to be girls didn't make me feel bad at all, it was just kinda hilarious.

• I mean, mine is what my significant other looks like, so... it's not unrealistic at all, haha. I see your point, though. I think that was part of the joke, too. All of us girls acted like douchebros and the guys acted slutty, just to show how silly those stereotypes are.

• Who says my SO doesn't look like my dream guy 💁🏽 It's kind of bad though because we're not exactly that serious and when we go our own ways, I will keep comparing all the guys to him and probably miss out on awesome people.

• It was exaggerated as a joke, because of the prank. I don't think those pictures 100% represented anyone's preferences.

• But the thing is... such (perfect) people exist. Don't they crave for them?

• I chose Chris Pine because if I was a guy I would want to look like him. My SO looks absolutely nothing like Chris Pine and I have no expectations for him to change the way he looks. I don't have strict expectations at all- I haven't dated many guys but it's a mixed bunch. I love my SO for who he is. I felt a spark but it wasn't his looks that initially drew me to him.

• nope. not at all.
    the standards are there, they always have been. we just saw them on show.

• So, if there wasn't any media or paparazzi, the whole scenario would be different?

• @thewanderingme what? I'm talking about the standards produced by the media.
      alright.

• *my comment, not ny

• I think they chose the most outlandish pictures they could, for the most part. Take the general misconceptions made about their gender by the opposite gender about their preferences and then times it by 10.

• All i gotta say to that is Vagisil, lol

• Thanks. Same to you as well for whatever you wanna do :)

• Ohh! lol (: I dunno! I am cool!

• Most of the pictures probably were as a joke. Since the only people that went all out for this prank are the ones that can understand a joke and be funny with it.

• So, basically it means that our preferences aren't rigid. But what about all of the G@Gers having a specific type? Don't you think deep down we all know what's appreciated or was that just plain mockery?

• I took it as plain mockery since the ones that I saw doing that. I've seen them around and know they are the kind to go all out in a joke.

• Lmfao I literally typed "instagram guy selfie" and thats what I got.
    You're putting too much thought into this.

• Why on earth anyone isn't getting offended by my question :P I tried too hard 😓

• I don't even find that attractive but I would have done the same out of fun if I had some free time to troll. 😛

• I would never want a boyfriend who was as pretty as the guy I posted. He's an ideal. I don't want an ideal. Those are for fantasies only. In reality, I want the little flaws that give the guy depth

• Why would anyone want flaws? 😮

• @truthhammer is that a truth hammer? lol

• yes it is. i worked at a club before and met a lot of hot bottle service chicks... well chicks in general.

two same pieces of the puzzle dont work too well meaning if there were both the prize, theyd be wired more to recieved and to be treated a certain way...

one girl told me if the guy is prettier than her she doesn't date them for the reason i mentioned. she is smarter and is doing way better than a lot of the bimbos that work there... a lot of hot chicks are skeptical of hot guys... takes one to know one=)

• lmfao! I just put up what i thought was funny!! I wasn't even thinking about anything when i chose it :)

• Some people changing their profile pictures to models for a day does not make me feel anything. They're probably not expectations as much as just for fun.

• it was pree much just a joke I guess. I was too lazy to changed mine cause I couldn't find anything nice (based on my opinion) so stuck with this, its nice both way anyways, just another day where people could joke and not get into trouble lol

• Yeah I saw the obvious pictures guys and girls would want in their partner, I'm not surprised. Some people have very high standards...

• it doesn't take that little stunt to realise most people sound like they have unrealistic expectations when asked about what they idealize which is what websites like this do very often.

• I think most just did that to have fun with it

What Guys Said 14

• My expectation is anime, why can't I just be transferred into one? I know a lot of people who'd want that

I want to be a schoolgirl 'nuff said

33.media.tumblr.com/.../...02zJfR1sxcftfo1_400.gif

• Schoolgirl? Are you into lolitas? :P

• Do you think they did that to you because it was your idea?

• mmm. . . that might of helped them along

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1952255-gag-doing-april-fools-prank

^ my answer to this question will explain everything

• I have spent years on GAG, and my observation has been that the girls here have much more unrealistic expectations than the guys. It's like they want practically everything under the sun in a guy, to even give him a chance.
    Outside of GAG though, girls' expectations are much more realistic.

• I was wondering about the same thing. Girls irl don't even demand anything.

Or maybe girls tend to be more open about their preferences online?

• Omg lol this is so true 😂
      I think if there's really a man like this, he'd not be wasting his time there reading these BS

• Exactly! These females usually waste many years waiting for someone who satisfies these requirements, rejecting all proposals they get. When they're approaching 30, they settle for someone much worse than the men they rejected for years!
      I forgot to add, a couple more requirements of modern Indian girls:
      1) he should have a masters degree
      2) he shouldn't ask me to work after having kids.

• Mine was a meme brah, talking about standards. Lol. I wanted to get the overly attached girlfriend, couldn't find a decent one. But I found a slick gif tho.
    45.media.tumblr.com/.../...ly4ZsI1sa8164o1_400.gif

• I think most people were just putting up negative stereotypes on purpose as that was part of their joke.

• um, i only date instagram hottie-tier women tbh

• yes i do think my next girlfriend will be hot as the one before.

i also take care of myself and consider myself above average in many respects.

even the chick on my pic was my date at one point.

ill stay single for years if the girl i want doesn't come around. tis always been like that

• I think you read too deeply into this lol. Not a big deal. I didn't change anything. Just made light of it with a joke.

• 0|1
  • Starting from "Do YOU think your..."
    - Maybe... maybe not.
    - 404
    - On scale of 1-100; 23.57.
    - *yawn* Indifferent *scratching back*

• Haha answering all of the questions. Rare people like me do that ;)

• I always answer in this format whenever there are multiple questions or answer is too long or I'm just having a lazy day. I change bullet points/numbering style.

• I'm sure those pictures aren't actually people's expectations and they just used exaggerated pictures as part of the joke

• Nah huge tits and bubbly ass is achievable... i can believe

• I just assumed they were all joking. They were joking, weren't they? D:

• Most people don't "expect" those they idolize. It's why humanity hasn't died out.

• hmmm... why does it bother you what people want?