So, who should pay the dinner bill?

• The guy should always pay
  • The girl should always pay
  • 50/50 is best
  • Whoever asks should pay
  • We should take turns paying
  • Other

Most Helpful Guy

• Personally I've gotten so exhausted by this whole debate that I just started doing whatever I felt like. Sometimes I'll buy her food just cause and if she objects fine. If I don't feel like paying I just won't. If she wants to pay for it all I'm not going to argue. I just don't care anymore. People gotta eat. The only rule I have is if a girl balls out and spends a crap ton by like buying the most expensive thing on the menu and some wine and a dessert and everything and I'm not already in a pretty deep relationship with her I have zero problem paying for myself and letting her sort out the rest. I feel like I was born into a generation where women can just as easily find a job and pay for their own lifestyles so I treat them like I would anyone else. I'll pay when I feel like being nice and if anyone has a problem with that and decides to judge me for not being "gentlemanly" enough that's fine. I'm not a fan of shallow gestures of love so I have no problem pretty much ignoring this weird socially conditioned behavior and any girl who's got a problem with that isn't going to have to great of a relationship with me anyways.

Most Helpful Girl

• In my experience prior to being exclusive:

We get the bill. The guy hands the bill. I ask if he needs me to pay my half, he says no and pays. I thank him and tell him how sweet he is and how much I appreciate it!

In an exclusive relationship, I think you should have each other's backs. Generally if my guy has the money he wants to buy and I enjoy being spoiled and get in a really good mood. I still always thank and say how much I enjoyed my time with him, etc. However, if I know some unexpected expenses came up or a lot came out of a pay check, or whatever the case may be, then I will pick up the tab. Or if we have a lot planned that weekend I will chip in for SOMETHING at least. In a relationship you have each other's back.

What Guys Said 55

• The restaurant should pay the bill. For having me and my hot date grace their presence.

• For first date kind of situations I believe the guy should pay but as a sign of courtesy, much like opening the door for someone. I find it to be gentlemanlike and classy to offer as a way of saying "thank you for the date." It doesn't mean anything more or less than that. She doesn't owe me anything-- I just would be trying to be nice.

I don't particularly care about the PC way of splitting the bill no matter what to show equality. I am making my own choice to pay because I WANT to.

However, a guy isn't obligated to pay. If the girl is obnoxious and rude, I would not pay the bill by myself. I wouldn't show courtesy to someone who refused to show me any.

Likewise, if the girl personally wants to split the bill and feels uncomfortable with me taking it, I'm alright with that. I would throw out the offer to pay, but I wouldn't force it. If she wants to pay, then so be it.

Also, if we started going on quite a bit of dates, I wouldn't want to be paying for each one all the time... Like if we were officially dating and not just testing the waters so-to-speak. I'd want to split the bill or take turns paying at that point.

So I guess I'd fall into choice F. The guy shouldn't "always" pay, but I do find it nice to offer to pay for a certain time period.

• Who ever asks should pay, you're the one inviting them out. If you are not willing to pick up the entire tab then doing ask. That's how I was brought up to see it.

• If i said to my friend we should go to the cinema to see a new film, and he agreed, would I be obliged to oay for his ticket, popcorn, drink. Etc... ? This just seems like an excuse for the guy to pay since normally its the guy that asks.

• @Reflexy Are you going on a date with your friend? Then no he pays for himself.

• @ShaeNielson by your logic if you invite someone on a date then they should also pay for themselves.

• The person who ask is the one who pays. Unless it's something of a 1st date and I like her enough then I would offer to pay because I'm old school. However, I wouldn't get too hung up on insisting it if the other party wants to split.

I don't really like having someone ask me out then she eats a huge steak with dessert and wine while I munch on pasta and expects me to split 50/50. Unless she's hot and I want to get into her pants, then I will probably treat her. Otherwise, I won't be having any meals with that person unless I really have to.

• Well if I asked her out to dinner I would then pay the whole shot.. but even if she was the one that asked me out I would still offer to pay some of the bill or more.. this would not in any way mean I want something back in return.. it is just I consider myself a nice guy always.. and when with I am the ladies I just love their company and it would only be a friendly thing do do on my part and if it did lead to some fun after wards.. well that would be a bonus.. but like I stated I would not want or expect anything in return

• Honestly, 50/50, or whoever has more money. If you want to be extra-courteous then pay for the other half, but it shouldn't have anything to do with your genitals.

If you expect the other person to pay for you just because you have fallopian tubes instead of testicles, then [newsflash] that just means you're sexist! That was a public service announcement.

• Well I believe that the first date should be simply who ever can cover it without it taking up too much of their monthly budget. Cause paying the bill isn't a transaction that involves wether your male or female. Plus it shows that the female in the relationship is mature and not just leeching off of the guy in the relationship. I mean its kinda crucial that the guy doesn't get the sense he's getting played.

• The very first date I got it maybe even the second date as well. After that everything is a 50 50 split I am not a sugar daddy. I was in the past not anymore

• 50/50 in my opinion.

What's the point on going on a date?
    Talking, chatting, having a good time and exchanging opinions and experiences. enjoying the other person's company, not eating. You can pay for yourself, as I didn't take you out to pay for your food, I took you out to get a piece of your mind and get to know you.

• I don't mind taking a lady for dinner and paying. A man's supposed to look after a woman. There's nothing wrong with that. Your taking her under your wing not the other way around. These aren't gender roles, it's nature. It flatters a man's characteristics to take the lead and flatters a woman's to be led. It's how we're designed. If nature intended us to be equal we'd look the same. Why fight nature? I'm talking proper men and proper women here and before any idiot says it. There is such a thing

• Whoever asked out the other to dinner. It's incredibly rude to ask someone out to dinner and then expect them to pay. However if a girl did ask me out to dinner I'd be perfectly okay with paying my half. If they asked me out and then wanted me to foot the whole bill simply because they didn't want to pay that's probably going to be our last date...

• Both just have to decide on what's most convenient. Perhaps the guy earns more so he could offer to do it? Or perhaps the girl does. Either way, in my opinion there should not be any rules for this.

• I would like to say they should split it, Or take turns. Just to make it fair ofcourse, But, In reality, I utterly despise taking money from anyone, And wouldn't be happy unless i paid myself.

• But u wouldn't be taking the money, the restaurant would

• @Tequila25 aye, it's a bloody curse when it comes to birthdays / Mother's Day / Father's Day etc, haha

• Haha yes!

• i pay but very picky with who i ask out.

i asked, let me facilitate...

during a relationship, she can pay for me as well but i feel ill end up paying most times anyway.

having said all this i obviously do more and its obviously not fair in this place in history but,

if she doesn't know her place, she starts to experience what true equality feels like

• I would prefer to pay for the date, unless she asks me to go out and do something.

• I think that whoever asks should be the one to pay.

• Girls like dominant guys. Start by being dominant at the dinner table by paying. You pick the restaurant, you select the wine, you pay the bill without a flinch. Open her door to the car, smile, be nice and maybe you will get some, at least eventually.

• The one who asked out/invited the other person. Usually the guy.

After a handful of dates splitting or taking turns.

• Whenever I go on a date with a girl I offer to pay because I think it's the polite thing to do but I don't mind if she wants to split it or pay for me sometimes

• Whoever takes the other person out or you split the bill. That's the equality thing.

• 50-50 is the best route

• Pay your own way. If you share an appetizer, whoever invited who should pay for that appetizer.

• If I eat a $10 meal and she gets a $20 meal, makes sense I would pay $10 and tip if I invited her.

• I'd like to pay for the meals and dinners. But if she offers to pay, I'm not saying no. Lol. Free McDonald's is the best.

• 50/50 until either party feels they want to treat the other. If a guy is obligated to pay the first time, then we are as a society saying women's time is more valuable then man's. If I like a girl I will probably pay to show her I care. I guess it depends on the context of the date. If 2 best friends start dating I would pay because I love her already. If it is a first time meet off a dating site I think the above thing I said applies.

• I think anything less than splitting or offering to pay is selfish and unacceptable. If you're expecting your date to pay for you, whether you're a guy or a girl, and they don't make a fuck ton more money than you then you are an ASSHOLE.

• I say 50/50 is always best , but for the first who ever asked the other out should pay.

• For the FIRST date, I say go 50/50 so there is no pressure. :-D

• Whoever asks, or me for the first couple dates, after I don't mind splitting it and going 50/50.

• Whoever asks should indeed pay! It would be BS if it were otherwise!

• 50-50 it's the easiest, no need to make it hard on eachother

• More from Guys
    25

What Girls Said 40

• Everybody should pay for what they're having. I'm not gonna pay for my dinner date's steak with a jacket potato & chicken skewer side aka $40 if I only have a salad myself aka $8 lmao Not. Happening. 💁🏻

• I've never felt comfortable about letting someone else pay. I like to either pay it all myself or split it.

When I was with my ex, if he insisted on paying, I'd make sure I paid the next time.

• Split it 50/50... takes all the awkwardness out of the whole deal. If my date absolutely insisted on paying for dinner, I would make it a point to pay for something else in the evening (movie tickets, first round at the bar, or something...).

• 50/50 is always best. People get to pay for their own damn meal and there's no extra pressure for getting money involved.
    I went on a date with a guy a few days ago, he paid for my movie ticket because we weren't able to pay separately. Made me feel bad so today I'm going to buy him a bracelet and give it to him the next time I see him, as thanks.

• either split or whoever asks.

• I would prefer to go 50/50.

• 50-50! That way I don't owe him anything!

• I don't mind splitting the bill. Some places don't split bills so I wouldn't mind him paying and me giving him half of the total amount in cash.

• First date whoever asks should pay. After that should take turns. However if one person makes significantly more money and wants to go out somewhere expensive they should foot the bill as it would be unfair for them to expect the other person to.

• 50/50 is the most fair option.

My boyfriend and I usually take turns because it's a lot easier, though. Other times it's not a "turn", but rather just a my treat sort of thing.

• the person with more money at the time, i just got my paycheck so
    1.bp.blogspot.com/.../Make%2Bit%2Brain%2Bemoji.JPG
    who wants to take me on a date?

• 50/50

• Depends on the people involved.
    I always pay for my own stuff.
    If it's someone's birthday or if I ask them out on a date when they're feeling like shit then I'll pay for both.
    If people want to split it 50/50 or have the guy or female pay then it's up to them.
    Whatever works for the individuals.
    There's no absolute rule.

• I think 50/50 is best, but my guy always pays. He doesn't want me to pay because that's "his job".

• And I mean 50/50 as in he pays half the time and I pay half the time, not that we should split the check.

• We can both take turns

• Whoever asks unless it's the first date. Then the guy should.

• 50/50

Other wise if you can't pay for yourself. Tell them you can't go because of that.

• the person who asked the other out or take turns
    since feminists killed chivalry the man is no longer obligated to pay. but even with chivalry I prefer taking turns with the bill.

• The owner of the restaurant pays it, of course.

• So you're saying your ditching after you eat so they cover the costs? Lol

• @ihatethiswebsite lmfao nah. It's just a dumb question that's asked on here all the time. Never gonna give a serious answer

• Splitting the bill seems to be the smartest thing

• It depends on the people really. My guy always wants to pay. In the beginning when we were dating he wouldn't let me pay at all.

• I've always believed in splitting. It makes me uncomfortable for anyone to pay for me.

• My boyfriend doesn't mind paying for evertyhing. He goes up and pays without me asking or anything. I think the person who did the inviting should pay unless the other person says otherwise. I sometimes like to pay for somethings when I have money (im broke 90% of the time lol) so that he won't feel like he is being taken advantage of or so that I don't feel like I owe him in any way.

• C or F is good.

• I don't do dates so I don't worry about this matter. But yea I like paying for myself

• 50/50 girl! i always opt for 50/50

• doesn't matter but taking turns sounds ideal. whoever initiates first date can start, makes it easier. i think too much thought put into this isn't good

• I feel more comfortable going Dutch.

• I'd say first date whoever asks pays, but after that 50/50. It's not fair for one person to pay every date.

• I personally love paying half the money. It feels better and guilt free

• More from Girls
    10