If you have to choose between an amazing career opportunity or a developing relationship with a person you really love, what would you choose?

Assuming that the relationship won't be possible after because you'll build a life on a different continent.

• Choose the relationship
  • Choose the job

Most Helpful Guy

• My girl because she's head of the company

Most Helpful Girl

• This question has a right answer and a wrong answer.

new4.fjcdn.com/.../...15b422914d27f22d103355a8.jpg

The right answer is, you go for the relationship.
    The wrong answer is, you go for the career.

The reason is that the "career opportunity" is VERY easily replaceable, if you have ANY shred of hustle.
    Like that pug says, SRSLY GUISE -- if you have a decent amount of tenacity, networking sense, and/or negotiating ability, then "career opportunities" are EVERYWHERE.

Good, compatible relationship partners, though? Hell no. When you meet one of those, you grab him/her and lock that down. Those are NOT everywhere.
    If you let THAT go for something as easily replaceable as a "career opportunity", you are an idiot.
    End of.

• Some people aren't destined to find successful relationships, though.

• The option doesn't say that it will be successful.

• @Anno_Domini Oh for fuck's sake.

If you wanna play THAT game, then, fine, it also doesn't say that you won't get laid off, or that yr precious life savings won't be wiped out by a 1923-Argentine-style hyper-inflation.

Look, dude, I can guarantee you one thing in life -- If you go out there trying to make life suck, you will definitely succeed.

What Guys Said 30

• I don't have any answers but I do have a few questions that may help you out here:

1) Where do you want to be with your life in ten years? What does your income look like? Are you a working mom or a stay at home mom?

2) How important is your career to you? Is that the yardstick by which you'll measure your progress in life?

Think about those two factors and the balance you want. You'll know what to do? If so, once you do it, no regrets, no looking back.

• I agree with AustinMan. It depends.

Now a woman can't financially depend on a man. Love is something and relationships are something else.

Also, can you keep a long-distance relationship? If not, you'd better discuss it.

• I mean love is something and career success is something else

• I chose relationship when I was younger. I can honestly say that career development never really happened with her and set our lives back a good 5-8 years financially. I would never do that again and pick career first next time. Sorry, love doesn't pay the bills!

• Career, first. Relationships, second.

One cannot sustain the other, while the other adds special satisfaction to the one.

• I'd choose the relationship if I'm being honest with you I mean there's nothing that says in this scenario that I don't already have a decent to good job anyway, and material happiness, money, promotions, possessions have always held really little value to me. Besides it can never feel the void or the regret left behind by such decisions and material happiness is fleeting and temporary, but a relationship, love if it turns out to be mutual can and will last your entire life just about if you get to that point.

• I'd take the right relationship over a specific position, but I wouldn't move to somewhere that would put me at a disadvantage career wise. In the industry I'm working in there are a handful of prime locations throughout the country, and a few more minor locations. It's not something you can do in every city... Even if I can find work doing something in any city... I'd say there has to be compromise in any relationship that's worth anything... So long as it's within reason I'd take it into consideration...

• Depends on the continent, the career, the person, etc.
    It's a tough question, I'll give you that. I'm leaning ever so slightly towards the job, but that's just me.

• Damn. I guess love is a one-sided priority for guys. A career and money is only worth so much. You don't get to take the money you made or your promotions with you at the end. I think I'd be sad and full of regret if I let one of the few things that make life worth living go for a paycheck and a bigger office

• That's a pretty narrow definition of a career. I work my ass off because I want to change the world, not for some scratch.

• @Buttface99 please tell me more.

• Both. It can be done. I did it.

You won't fly as high as your potential in the career though but you will fly very high. It is knowing which to choose in any given circumstance. Sometimes the job requires more time and the relationship has to be strong enough to flex that way, and then vice-versa. It can be done and your boss is likely trying to do it too and so understands.

• If the career was my passion, then my career. If I don't, then I wouldn't be the guy she fell in love to begin with. And I'd be doing my soul a disservice. I'd pick the career and move her to me if that was a possibility. I'm still young.

• Relationship all the way.

• Relationship, I feel like true love is harder to attain than a promising career nowadays.

• Career. Always career.

You can lose a lot of money chasing women, but you'll never lose women chasing money.

• I could go both ways on this. On one hand, you will eventually retire from a career and will then only have the bonds you've formed. On the other until then a career is important to save for that time. Depends on if you feel your SO is worth it. If you feel the relationship is stable. If you feel like you want to make a life with your SO. There is always the option of your SO moving with you.

• Stupid ass question. Always choose a career over a woman. A career means you have control over you happiness a woman cannot be trusted with your happiness and all I truly need from them is sex therefore I don't need love From girl because family and freinds provide love.

• money means very little too me even at my age when its suppose too be super important don't care about it honestly

• Relationships are tedious, careers set you up for life.

• I voted relationship.
    In my opinion what good is money if you don't have a girl to spend it on anyway?

• Amazing career opportunity = NFL = I'd choose that over anything

• Job. I haven't found a person I really love yet.

• I won't hesitate to choose the job
    If you lose the job, you'll lose the girl

• Career.

• hhhhh it's funny how the world changed ! the most votes for career are from girls !! ))))

• Relationship... no competition

• Career!

• Money doesn't buy happiness, going with relationship.

• What if i want to become batman.

• If you love someone don't hesitate jus go for it love is the answer to anything

• The job because that is the way to get women crawling to u

• I'd choose the job. She would probably dump me after we got intimate and saw what I was packing.

The job would allow me to pursue my hobbies.

• Depends on what you seek most out of life. For me the choice is easy. I'd just flip a coin then cope with either decision. Which may sound cold hearted to some but hey that's how I feel. I value relationships immensely but I have a large close knit family who can usually fill the need for emotional consistency in my life and I've passed through enough wonderful relationships to feel satisfied enough with my love life that I don't feel the need to cling too hard to any one possibility. (If we were married or on the verge of marriage that would be different but that's more about me making a decision and living with integrity rather than following a desire) On the other hand I'm not that enamored with the working world although the experience of traveling kind of tilts the scale a little. Deep down I'm not too pushed in either direction which is why I'd use the coin.

What Girls Said 16

• Love never comes with a guarantee, so there's a high price pay if it doesn't work out. A career will set you up for the rest of your life, and it'll help build a solid foundation for your future , which you can rely and depend upon. Love is a gamble, a career is not, in most cases.

Considering your age , you may never have this career opportunity again. So many people have put love before their career , and regretted it at a later date. They become resentful towards their partner , as well bitter and angry.

• Career opportunities doesn't come always perfectly where everything is according to what you want like money, location, the environment or better et your dream job OR it comes with a variation so opportunities doesn't happen twice.

Same goes for love, either you meet the right person at the wrong time or you meet the wrong person at the right time. Its not easy to find your perfect partner so you gotta hold onto that relationship as much as you can when you do.

(If this is your situation right now and not just curiosity) Which are you willing to sacrifice? which will you prioritize? You can have both why not, but there has to be compromise. Love gives you happiness while career provides you to sustain happiness and needs, like @farscryer0 said, since you have to work hard to have a good life.

• It would depend on what options each of us would have for mobility in our respective careers. If I'm able to find a satisfactory job where he is and could afford the relocation expense at that time, then I'd happily move. If not, I wouldn't expect him to move just for me either. Moving BECAUSE of a partner is okay, but moving solely FOR them is a bad idea. There should be other reasons you have to justify moving to a new place, even if the guy/girl is the factor that tips the scale.

• I don't believe that there is only one right person out there for me and if that person isn't willing to make a sacrifice for something in my career that I HAVE to do, then I'll find someone else. I rely on myself for happiness and if I don't love what I'm doing I'm not going to be happy. Another person is just a bonus.

• For me it's not even close my profession lies over everything. There are guys galore you don't run after one because is always another one coming they are like buses

• And here I thought girls would choose the relationship (as I would). Guess not, this is surprising...

• I need a job right now so hope he doesn't have hard feelings.

• poll results are opposite of what I expected, wow

• It is surprising isn't it? I felt the same. I wonder what prompted women to choose the career?

• @JuicyBrain I feel like most of those votes were from people who thought "meh I could find another guy easily enough".

Which really should be the issue here, too.

They're wrong about that -- "career opportunities" are absolutely everywhere, while truly compatible relationship partners are so rare that you're lucky to meet one or two in a lifetime -- but, at least they're not _thinking_ about it all wrong.

• Both. But ultimately the Guy you love.

• I'm more worried about jobs than relationships atm. So I would go for a successful job first and than love later.

• I think you can find a way to get both

• This is very tough to choose from. But, i think love is really what makes the world go round :

• Relationship.

• At the moment, career is more important to me

• relationship all the way

• Career
    People will always be here but a good opportunity only comes once in a lifetime