Was I right to assume she rejected me?

About a few months ago, I approached a girl in my college class. I told her she was pretty and wanted to get to know her better. Her response was "Maybe when the semester ends maybe." Confused by her response, I assumed that was her nice way of rejecting me. I stopped talking to her but I still see her in class but my advance felt unwanted. Was this the correct thing to do?

What Girls Said 2

• It seems like a "gentle let down" if I ever saw one.

• She may of just wanted to focus on her semester. I don't know why you would just stop talking to someone because she didn't want to go out with you

• Well, would you talk to someone who isn't that receptive to you? I'm not offended about her turning me because that's her right. It just felt like she didn't want me being friendly towards her.

• Fine so you wanted to be more but if you wanted to be with her why is she not good enough to be friends with.

• It's not that. I would talk to her more but now she looks so closed off. It's like a lot of girls in college don't want to be bothered. So it's hard to talk to someone who acts like they don't want to be approached.

What Guys Said 1

• Seems like a nice way of rejecting you.