"I like you" vs. "I do like you". What's the difference (if any)?

Per title...

Just wondering if there's any difference. Maybe there is... maybe not.
However, I do realize that "I like you" has more of a statement-like like kinda feel to it whereas inserting the word "do" in it makes it feel more like, "I like you BUT...".

That's just what I think about this and I'm curious what others think!

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• I personally interpret "I do like you" as more reassuring, as if you'd just told the person "you don't like me" and they respond with "I do like you".
    If they don't actually add the "but..." then I think it's kind of silly to assume that they're being insincere or something.

What Guys Said 7

• It's like saying "I do like you" is when you are trying to reassure that person that you truly like them. "I like you" is something you say when you a professing your feelings for them, without them asking.

• I do like you is more of a reassurance.

• "I do like you" has more emphasys.

• "I do like you" sounds like something a guy/girl would say when their significant other just asked if you still liked them.

• Difference = do

• why you gotta complicate things

• Huh?
      Was just wondering and being curious. I don't know how that has anything to do with complicating things.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 1

• There's not really a difference

I usually don't add the 'do', except when I'm explaining something...(although, however, though)

Read your question description 'However, I DO realize..." it's then that I use the 'Do' sometimes