How can I become the best version of me (as a girlfriend)?

A guy, that I have known for a long time, and I have recently connected again. We liked each other a few years back, lost touch, and regained it again. We started hanging out a lot, and he has just recently asked me to be his girlfriend. Of course I said yes! Not long after that happened, he dropped a huge bomb on me; he wants to join the Marines. Although I am, and will continue to be super supportive of his wants/future plans, it worries me. Of course, no girlfriend wants to see her boyfriend join the army. Especially if it means that your close relationship will eventually become a long distance relationship. My best friend has told me that I need to talk to him about how I feel, but I don't want to come off as "unsupportive"... I really like him, and I want to be there for him. The last relationship I was in (which was also my first serious relationship), ended horribly. It left me emotionally scarred. I just... I want this to be different. I want us to work. He is a really amazing guy, and I don't want to ruin what we have, and what we could potentially have, over the way I feel. I want to be the best girlfriend that I can be, but I honestly have no idea how to be. I deal with anxiety and depression, and he helps me through it. He sits with me and calms me down during my anxiety attacks, but sometimes I feel like I made a mistake in saying yes, because I feel like he deserves better. Every time I'm with him, I hide how I feel as much as I can. Of course I am happy that we're together, but I have to hide the sadness I feel on a daily basis because of my depression. It's draining, and it's annoying to have to do, but I don't want to mess this up.

What Guys Said 2

• I don't think hiding the truth is part of being the best girlfriend you can be. Working with you depression with his help makes more sense than covering it over. That is also difficult but more honest. Allowing him to help you through it might actually bring you closer. That is not the case with hiding it, which can cause stress and make it harder to deal with when it finally does surface.

• Communicate with each other is key and start to love yourself

What Girls Said 1

• You should discuss things with him. You should be able to open up to him in regards to how you feel, otherwise it will be unbearable to keep it all inside.