Trying to take advantage of his affectionate moods?

My guy goes to uni a few hours away from me and I work an 8-6 job in the City.
We have amazing weekends together but won't talk too much during the week.
He goes out a lot and sometime when drunk he will message me late at night. Usually cute, affectionate things like "i love you", "I miss you" etc. or telling me how he feels e. g. when he is sad.
He doesn't share these usually, he isn't very affectionate or a sharer of feelings.

I will reply in the early morning, way before he is up and then never get a response.
It frustrates me because i want him to be affectionate sometimes and grasp onto those moments but because of our schedules, by the time i run with it the moment is gone :(

What Guys Said 2

• Plot twist he is not actually drunk he just uses that as an excuse to say he feels that way.

• Reply to him in time or stop whining.

What Girls Said 1

• Men are taught from a really young age that it is weak to show emotion. I disagree that showing emotion is a sign of weakness, but that's an entirely different subject.
    Maybe he's using the excuse of "being drunk", in order to express his feelings about you. Have you ever mentioned to him that you really love it when he does that?