If a guy from a class I took 1 year ago stops everything, buys me a drink, tells me he thought I was brilliant, was he into me when we were in class?

I get that I should just take the compliment and enjoy it, but I gotta ask.
I was attracted to this guy in my graduate school class. We were in a student group together and although we had really good rapport, we didn't get to know each other and there was 0 flirting. One full year later, I saddle up to a bar to order a drink and he's standing next to me about to close out his tab. I nudge him with a "hey" and after a beat his eyes open up in recognition. "Did you cut your hair? It looks so good!" Instead of closing his tab he buys me a drink and starts telling me how brilliant he thought I was every time I spoke in class. He even asserts how good I am at presenting. His buddies eventually get sick of waiting for him and press him to close up, so he asks me for my number. I kindly tell him I'll give it to him the next time I see him at the bar and he responds with a smile, "Well, I really enjoyed talking to you."

What do you think? Was he into me while we were in class or does this seem like a standard approach to getting laid? I'm totally fine with either, but I'm here because this behavior is mysterious to me.

What Guys Said 2

• He has had his eye on you since your class.

• seemed like he liked you.

What Girls Said 1

• He obviously likes you.