Uni student -should I charge my boyfriend to stay at my place?

Before people think this sounds harsh... my boyfriend and I have been together for over 2 years. He wants to stay at my uni flat just because he has work experience in the next door city. I'm a student and only get enough money to live off because I have a part time job, can just abut feed myself. He'll be at my place for 2 weeks. Is it wrong to ask for a bit of money from him for his food as I'll be doing all the cooking?

Most Helpful Guy

• Well he should be offering something. If he doesn't then I'd say something.

Most Helpful Girl

• No its perfectly fair

What Guys Said 15

• It's only two weeks. I would normally say to just let him volunteer helping with food or whatever. But if you are barely getting by, then I'd say something to him. You don't have to put it in terms of charging him, but just tell him you are hurting and ask if he can help with the food or something. After two years, I'd think he'd know you were not rich. But maybe he doesn't realize that you are barely scraping by.

In a two year relationship, you should be able to talk about this stuff openly. If there is any long term prospects, it's an absolute must to talk about it openly.

• Well... if you absolutely can't afford him staying over for those 2 weeks, then yeah just be honest with him about your financial situation.

• I would just be honest about needing a little help with the food costs. He should understand.

• Its not wrong... Its called standing up for yourself and not being a doormat

• I wouldn't ask for money. Tell him that you're struggling financially and would love to be able to take care of both of. However, you can't afford to. Since he is only staying for 2 weeks ask him if he's willing to cover groceries for a week.

• I believe that request to be reasonable.

• If it was me I'd pick up the tab for the whole two weeks as the guy.. Take the burden off you while I was there.

• Nope, split the food costs for sure.

• Just make sure you're kind about it and I don't think he'll have a problem. Don't make it sound like you're charging him to stay there. Just ask him if he can pitch in for some extra food, as you only have enough to feed yourself and he'll understand.

• that's really shallow. if anything, why don't y'all just move in together? split the bill

• i didn't read the last sentence... anyways, just ask him to help pay. but still, why not ask if he wants to move in with you or you to move in with him?

• Oh if only things were that easy (!)

• why not? seems straight forward enough. i mean if y'all are next to each other anyways, just pick up and move. it's not like y'all live like 5 hours away

• wait for 2 days. he will definitely pay his expence. if he doesn't, open up about your situation to him

• Yeaa you can charge

• Sure, if he is eating ask him to help pay for food

• Yes , keep your friends and business separate.

• Yes 50/50

What Girls Said 5

• At first I was on board with your statement -- if he's going to live there with you then nothing's wrong with splitting rent. However if he's a guest, it's usually innapropiate to charge them like a hotel lol. Although, I understand your position. You don't wanna go broke trying to feed him, obviously. So with that, maybe you can find a way to suggest him paying for his meals, or search around Pinterest, there's tonsss of easy, cheap meals for a college kid on a tight budget :)

• Thankyou :) and yes charging him will be a last resort

• I would be fine with asking my partner to contribute to buying food.

• You can always ask him to chip 50.00 for food and staying there. Ask him it's not a free stay cos your footing the bill. Tell him he can't be a freeloader and take adv of you like that.

• That sounds absolutely reasonable.

• no he should contribute for food as he knows you are financially streached