Would you date/mary someone with a mental illness?

Or is something like this impossible? I know it might be difficult sometimes. And I know it kinda depends on which mental illness he/she has too.

• yes I would
  • no I would not

Most Helpful Guy

• Pretty much anyone can be found to have some type of mental illness. it seems that all personality traits, can be linked to something in their biology or their past, that supposedly prove some type of mental illness. By making behavior they don't like a mental illness it gives them the right to treat it as a public health issue, stomping all over peoples rights, even though in many cases that is the way their brain is suppose to work. It is what makes each person unique and special. As such I am not afraid of someone diagnosed with a "mental illness".

In the case of a legitimate mental illness where it is out of control and makes life hard on them, like you said it depends on the mental illness, as well as how bad it effects them. I would have to look at each case separately.

Most Helpful Girl

• I have a mental illness too. Before dating someone, or going any further, I'd obviously need to see whether their illness would affect mine. If they're going to make me decline again then I can't be with them seeing as I have to put my own health first.

• If you don't mind me asking which do you have?

• Generalised anxiety disorder, I've had it for roughly 7 years :P It's manageable and my partner and I have worked out ways to stop me freaking out constantly so things are okay in my relationship now. But I know that if my partner had something like depression or anxiety, it could make my own illness start to get worse and I would reaaaaaaally not want that, obviously.

What Guys Said 14

• this question is difficult for me because i grew up with someone whohas a mental illness and all the problems that come with it. there so many what if's with your question that i guess the only thing i can say is it depends on the person. there are some people with mental illness that like going around causing problems where ever they go. well others know they have a problems and work hard to over overcome there problems. the first person no there is no way i would give them the time of day, but the second person i would possibly give a relationship a try

• You are right. It depends not only on the condition, but also the severity. In general, I don't have a problem with minor issues. Each case judged on its own merits, as they say.

• Been there, done that, don[t recommend it.

• It would take a lot to convince me honestly. Most people already have trouble maintaining their own lives WITHOUT mental illnesses. Doubly so when you throw someone ELSE'S life into the mix and you two have to work through problems TOGETHER.

• Been there, done it, dumped her. She suffered from depression. I told her that depression was a self inflicted illness and I would not let her suffer again. I lost the battle because she slipped into depression so deeply, when I talked to her, I could not break through. I never break my word BUT, this time it was beyond my control.

• Depends on type and severity. Bipolar and borderline is a no-no.

• If I knew beforehand I rpobably would not. If I were to find out once I really like that person then I would probably try to make it work.

• Depends on what is the illness and how bad is it

• Umm nope I don't think so

• Nahhhhh

• I have some,
    Chances are I will end up marrying someone with their own

• It depends, what type of mental illness do you have?

• Of course i wouldn't! what are you crazy? lol

• Yea.. but depends on the illness

What Girls Said 13

• It's certainly not impossible, and actually not everyone knows they have a mental illness/disorder, it's more common than people think.

I have depression (genetic) which comes and goes all the time in my life and I suspect I might have borderline personality disorder, not severe though that's for sure. I haven't necessarily had any problems with it when it comes to relationships so far, apart from the fact that I have big problems leaving people no matter how toxic I realise they are, I just can't do it.

Anyhow yeah I could marry someone with a mental illness as long as it does not cause too many problems with my own problems.
    I do know for a fact that I could probably not deal with someone with bipolar disorder though. I've seen how it has broken up great friendships and even Christian marriages (happened to family friends). And I myself have quite a hard time dealing with those people because it clashes with my own problems.

• As someone with multiple diagnosed mental disorders it would be kinda hypocritical of me not to but then, as you said, it highly depends on what mental disorder and which level of severely we're talking here. I couldn't imagine a relationship with a chronic depressed or a schizophrenic at all, for instance..

• No, I have and it honestly was so hard, you can't help someone who doesn't want to help themselves.

• My boyfriend has depression and I'm quite happy with him. So I don't see why not.

• Depends on how serious that mental illness is obviously. I'm open to it as long as he doesn't put me, himself or other people in any danger because of it.

• Depends what kind

• maybe

• I have a few and I would definitely marry someone with one.

• I have aspergers syndrome, which is a firm of autism, but the causes my anxiety, depression, and OCD.

• My fiance has depression so yeah.

• Yes! I have a mental illness too.

• Adhd and Ocd.

• Yes because I have Aspergers :)

• no too much problem

• no, he ll give me a headache and i don't want a boyfriend with issue and all too boring