GUYS: what are the females you befriend like? (looks and personality) are they the same or different from your gf's, dates, hookups?

give reasons why they tend to be similar or different. I'm really curious. I've noticed most guys seem to date women who are very different from their female friends.

• same as gf's, dates, hookups
  • different than gf's, dates, hookups
  • I don't befriend females. that's what other guys are for
  • I don't have female friends... for any other reason
  • I am a woman/girl.
I was expecting a lot more responses. :(

Most Helpful Guy

• Appearance wise they are pretty close to the kind of people I date/court but their personalities differ.

• how are the personalities of your female friends different from your girlfriends?

• Well when it comes to partners I have standards and preferences when it comes to friends I'm more lenient when it comes to that kind of stuff.

What Guys Said 11

• I'd say the same. one friend is a prior girlfriend. another female friend is a male friends wife, we just get along and can communicate openly.

I think the difference is ability to have the romance, that is the different part and have the relationship be good within a romantic/close relationship.

Some people can be "friends' successfully but not lovers. When people get close, the junk starts to ooze out and find that it doesn't work or takes a lot of work.

• I absolutely agree, some people can only be friends. but sometimes they can't even really be friends either because of too much attraction/confused feelings

• Totally agree, lived both of these!

• I used to befriend date-able women.
    The best friends make the best girlfriends in my opinion.

Moreover, I'm not attracted to women exclusively based on looks. I need to get to know them before I feel any inkling to ask her out.

As you can imagine I get friendzoned more often then not.

• I agree with the best friend making best spouse.

based on you're admitting you intentionally start off wanting to be friends you actually don't get friendzoned. ;)

• yea. but I've dated different types of guys, soo

• Really you dont' have a 'type' that suits you best?

• I just pick female friends who I enjoy talking to and hanging out with. Personality is the most important thing. That's a little different than how I pick a girlfriend because I have to be attracted to her and like her personality

• The females who befriend me cover the whole spectrum of body types, personality types and even different races.
    Notice that I said they befriended me, not that I befriended them.
    Their motivations are usually that they want me to tutor them (English and history) or free, or they want to be more than friends.
    I will help anyone who asks for academic help.

• are you a teacher? and are they much younger than you?

• lol, maybe they use tutoring as an excuse

• For some time I have suspected that they used asking for help as way to spend some one-on-one time with me.
      Sometimes there are blatant displays of interest that have included being propositioned.
      I am a bit like a tired old dog that sits on the porch. I am interested in the postman when he goes by, but I cannot work up the motivation to chase him. :-)

• same as gf's, dates, hookups

• do you usually end up with one of your friends?

• Yeah i'm always friends 1st with ___ before ever making them my girlfriend or whatever ^_^

only 1 girl was an exception and that was due to my homie hooking us up.

• The only difference is that there is an attraction to the ones you want to date.

For me, that is some hard-to-pin down combination of facial features and aura, like, you know, she just makes you excited whenever she enters your vicinity.

Different guys are attracted to different facial features, and it's really quite subtle, and you can be attracted to multiple "types". I know I am. I could run through some celebs to say who I find more attractive and less so. Jennifer Lawrence: yes, Megan Fox: not so much. You see? It's really quite arbitrary. Both are considered sex symbols, but one just doesn't do it for me. But the thing is, you don't know what they would be like up close. They might have some inexplicable aura, which makes you fall for them if you meet them irl, even though you weren't that taken with their pictures.

• I didn't know jennifer lawerce was considered a sex symbol

• because she doesn't act or pose the way someone like megan fox does. I don't consider megan fox pretty, but she definitely wants people to see her in a sexual way. that's all that makes someone a sex symbol. not just being attractive.

• Okay. My bad. I should have not included her.

• dont really have any female friends my wife is the jealous type who would automatically think i was cheating

• I guess same, most good looking but can hold a good conversation. Some of them are a bit crazy, but in a good way.

• what about your female friends makes you think they're crazy?

• Partying with them is crazy, the place is usually left in shambles lol. They like spontaneous stuff that would make you question their sanity at the time so yeah... crazy XD

• I'd only befriend a chick I find hot... one day I might sleep wid her after all...

I'd not like a gal I find ugly personally as a friend... simply coz if we went out I'd definitely not like people assumin' I'm her boyfriend... it'd be really shitty and it'd annoy me... I don't wanna pass as a moron who has a bad taste in women...

• I think you misunderstood something, appearance is irrelevant when you are befriending someone. It's the biggest reason why people get friendzoned, it's because they have the personality but they don't have the look to be more than friends. Or FWBzoned, because you have the look but you don't have the personality. Rarely do you ever see someone get friendzoned and FWBzoned at the same time because when you combine the two, it's called being in a relationship.

• no. I've had guy friends who told me they are thought I was attractive, but never tried to date or hookup with me. and I myself have befriended guys I was attracted to and also really liked their personalities but would never have wanted to go beyond friendship. you're assuming all relationships are very black and white

• If that friend of yours were to ask you out, would you turn him down?
      If the answer is yes, then it's because something about him is simply not good enough. You can convince yourself that the reason you would turn him down is because you don't want to ruin your friendship. Just know that's a lie.

• actually, it's simply because I see them that way.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 1

• I assume they're different