How to tell a guy you want a second chance?

Me and this guy used to talk but stuff happened. We both messed up but i think he was really into me and i want a second chance. We tried being just friends but there's that tension there and i think its because we both still like each other. He recently told me he wanted a girlfriend and i want a boyfriend as well.
Its hard to talk to him because most of the time he changes the subject or gets mad. He thinks I want to talk to like attack him, i just want him to know who i really am. I came off as clingy. I have my reasons which i know if i tell him he'll understand. I think the problem here is he's afraid I'm really like that.
So how can i start up this conversation and tell him i want a second chance because i really do want to be his girlfriend without getting into an argument?

What Guys Said 1

• you are a kid. what the fuck. go study for your school you weirdo... .

What Girls Said 1

• "I apologize if I ever said anything that made you feel bad. I'd really want to leave the negative things in the past. Let's make a fresh start."