Do You Believe Anxiety Is a Crutch?

Similar to the way some fat people blame their bodies on genetics. Yes, anxiety makes doing some things more difficult than it does for the majority of people, but that doesn't mean it can't be done with maximum effort.

Observe that a lot of people with anxiety don't actually take medication for it. (That would erase their excuse)

They constantly try to improve everything EXCEPT their anxiety. (they try to excel in other areas which doesn't fix the problem.)

Whether they say it or not, they use it to justify problematic behavior. (I don't like people because they make me anxious therefore i will hide away in my room forever even though it leaves me unfulfilled ultimately.)

They constantly ask why they can't do or have or be what they want until you tell them YOUR FEAR and then they get all quiet and have nothing to say.

Not trying to be harsh just honestly asking if you think anxiety can be overcome and if you think people use it too often as a crutch not to change?

• Crutch
  • Not a Crutch
  • Other (explain)

Most Helpful Girl

• I would say more that they haven't figured out how to deal with it yet. I, for one, was a pretty tough cookie despite having some manageable mental issues that do seem to run in my family for most of my life. I got straight A's, lettered, had lots of friends and did ok dating, worked my tail off, etc. On the outside, a totally "together" chick.

Then anxiety started to spiral into panic disorder during a rough patch. That shit is bananas. It's like no routine fear I've ever felt, but closer to absolute hell. Your brain actually is wigging out and pushing too much adrenaline and cortisol into your body, which creates negative side effects including extreme heart rate, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, breathing difficulty, etc. So while anxiety disorders aren't life threatening like it feels, it's also not ONLY mental.

For a while, I had no idea what was even going on and it got worse and worse. It's like stumbling in the dark trying to find the right path. I had to try dozens of things to get back to "my" normal and what does help is a combination of different things from medication to diet/exercise/vitamin plan, to meditation and mindfulness to cognitive behavioral therapy.

Some people definitely need to push themselves harder, but on the flipside, it's much more intense and complicated than routine fear and nerves at the same time - so minimizing the effort and flat out trial and error it takes isn't helpful either.

Most Helpful Guy

• They don't take medication because they don't want to spend on something fake, they want to grow and learn how to get out of it.

Improving other things or learning new things can enhance a person's confidence, give them something to talk about if they ever get the chance to meet someone or talk to someone. Nothing wrong there. Once they improve something that isn't directly related to their anxiety, then they get closer to working on the anxiety.

Staying in their room isn't problematic behaviour. It's what they need right then. Socializing has become almost a competition, where people get spoken badly about if they aren't what, or if they haven't done what the majority of society would believe is normal, well fuck normal... it's boring. Maybe they will be unfulfilled, but that is exactly what is needed for them right now, not to be forced put and shoved into situations that social people believe will get them out of their comfort zone. I fucking hate those types of people that believe you can force change on people by putting them in a situation to 'help them out'.

They may say they can't do, have or be, but that's because they have either been told, 'No' in some way or form by somebody who has been a naysayer in their life, or hey feel embarrassed to go and do it, maybe they do t have the connections of people to go out and try whatever with, and maybe hey don't know how to let go for a second and be jovial.

I am very anxious around people, I have never dated or had many good friends. I have started to acquire friends but it's a very slow process and most people I keep at arms length or more and just touch on surface topics that don't include me.

I grew up getting made fun of for the way my voice sounded, when puberty hit my voice got really deep, and muffled due to allergies and stuff. But I wasade fun of a lot for it. When I was a kid getting made fun of, I kind of brushed it off saying shut up and all that. I was a pretty quiet person and a pushover, but I never knew anything else. But I never learned how to speak to my peers, I am sill very quiet.

I grew up with friends that seemed fine, then they all started smoking pot all the time, fucking hated it. I loved going skateboarding and, getting drunk at bars, but I never really had that except with one of them. But later on I realized they didn't like me anymore, or they became to weird fo me to be around, or they didn't call me anymore.

• So later on after I told the last friend I didn't want to be his friend anymore, I became a complete loner, I was again a weirdo that couldn't relate to my peers. And I didn't knkw anyone else from school or anything so it was just me. I didn't have people to hang out with or Internet people to talk to, or peopel from work, that were exactly my age to talk to. I could barely talk to them when I worked with them, I had nothing to say. I have had people ask me why I so quiet, and I fucking hate that.

It's really weird being a loner hanging out in your basement, everybody thinks your weird, your family doesn't know who you are, and they will never understand you when they are the social types.

I realized after that I could try to do stuff on my own, there was a concert I really wanted to see and I went by myself. It's almost better than going with people, you go in, you sit, watch the concert and GTFO at the end. Sure you can't drink or party, but who cares. It's not a crutch

• It's a mental block to get over it get around, people need to do things that give them confidence
      Most things people do in schools doesn't enhance confidence. Being around other people can bring somebody deeper into themselves rather than bring them out. Peopel need to find ' that thing' that allows them to be who they are in their heart. If they are not allowed to grow, they never will

• Thanks for MHO!

What Girls Said 21

• Okay so me for example- I get anxious on a daily basis, mine is stimulated from people, the public, and social situations. Since my parents and most of the people around me think it's relatively nothing, and they don't seem o understand where I'm at (everybody struggles I'm just saying they aren't aware, I don't talk about it anyways) and because of this- I am forced to work THROUGH my anxiety. I HAVE to live in it. Maybe it will improve one day- but it IS possible. Maybe it's just me that can do it, maybe I really don't even HAVE social anxiety- but I also fear even more that if I let anyone know I am socially anxious- they will embarrass me further especially in public. I remember I had a panic attack before a party my parents literally DRAGGED me to. I was a mess and they told everybody at the party about my "stunt". Which made me even more anxious. So I am able to put up with it on a daily. In each class I get it, in every situation I get it- and I am able to "do" it. And again- I don't even know if I actually have a mental health issue or if it's just me growing up I don't know I'll never see a professional anyways- but to answer your question I can only speak from personal experience because I just don't know what other people go through anxiety wise. I believe for some it IS a crutch. But many, no. Since I combat my anxiety all the time- even though it hasn't gotten any better, only worse, I don't use it as an excuse for anything because I don't even tell anyone- they just think I'm kind of rude and anti social I guess, weird. Hope that helped AT ALL. Ha.

• Yes, anxiety can be overcome. Depending on how severe the individual's anxiety is, how 'strong' of a person they are, etc..

I don't think that people use anxiety as a crutch, though. Not very often, at least. They may say they're nervous or whatever, but I think that's pretty normal for 99% of the human population to feel once in a while.

• Are you a psychiatrist?

• @Anna85 nope.. why do you ask?

• Its just a very strong statement to be saying that anxiety can be overcome/cured. I have seen a psychologist who studied this area for 6years at university and says it can not be cured but it can be managed.

• There are many things that make people have anxieties. It really can't be summed up with a crutch or not crutch. Some anxiety can be overcome but it depends on the severity. Medication is hard to get for some. It's hard to dicuss certain anxieties with a doctor when a lot of time the person can't even explain what is happening in their head. I have yet to meet someone with anxiety that doesn't want to change though.

• Mental illness is just like any physical illness. Are you going to tell someone with a flu or bleeding out that if they just tried harder and thought positively that it will just go away?
    Also medication only helps with therapy too. It would be like having a shattered bone but only putting a bandage on without putting the bone back together first. It only masks the symptoms but doesn't fix anything. Also like healing a broken bone it takes a long time to heal and it might not ever heal just right.

• I don't know anyone who uses anxiety as a crutch. When you suffer from anxiety, it's not really something you can fix without professional guidance. You can try and overcome it on your own, but that's tough to do if you have severe anxiety.

The problem is, anxiety makes you react to things differently. Most people when they make a mistake, they feel stupid for a bit, but they eventually get over it. Someone with anxiety may just blame themselves and think they can never do anything right. Then when a similar situation comes up, it makes them feel intensely nervous about that situation and makes them feel they will make the same mistake again. Even years later they can still blame themselves for something that happened, even if it was a small, unimportant event.

I can say that being someone with anxiety, my brain definitely works differently than most. I don't see problems the same way as other people. But I recognize this and am actively working on trying to change my thought process.

The thing is, whether someone is working on their anxiety or not, it shouldn't' be the basis for determining whether or not they are a worthwhile human being. People with mental health issues are just as deserving of love and respect, and don't need to be actively working to fix the problem to be deemed a worthwhile person.

It's very dangerous that our society feels we have to constantly work on our problems to be deemed worthwhile.

There are many reasons a person isn't able to deal with their anxiety or other mental health issues. Maybe they cannot afford to seek out therapy? Or perhaps their family shames them for seeking help and denies that they even have a problem? There is a lot of shame out there for people suffering from mental health disorders.

• A lot of people use it as a crutch, but it DOES impact your life a lot so it's a legitimate excuse in some cases. However, I agree that people will use it as an excuse yet make no effort to work on it. I work on my social anxiety constantly, I make myself talk to people and go out of my comfort zone daily. However, despite working very hard to overcome it, sometimes I have to accept that my anxiety does hinder my life and keep me from a lot of things. A lot of people just make excuses and don't work hard to get over it, which is irritating, but I don't think that anxiety can be completely overcome... you can learn to cope with it and function normally if you work at it but nothing can get rid of it.

• anxiety alone may be a crutch, if that is what you are referring too.
    anxiety disorders on the other hand, are certainly not.
    i speak from experience. in my life, I've struggled with illnesses caused by a shitty immune system. I had periodic fever syndrome for 6 years, and then from there on out continued to develop illnesses that really knocked me down. from these experiences, I learned how to overcome really difficult situations. I never used my illnesses as a crutch.
    I was recently diagnosed with an anxiety disorder that I developed because of all these doctor and hospital visits. my anxiety disorder is not just a slight problem in my day to day life- it is dibilitating.
    I had to be placed on home instruction for 4 months because I could not go to school. i see my friends on a biweekly basis- only when they can come to my house. I very rarely leave my home. I'm on different medications, am working with a therapist, and trying to figure out what to do to get on with my life. this is a very large obstacle in my life right now, but I know I will eventually overcome it.

• Medication isn't always the answer for every person and every case. I know three people with bad anxiety plus myself. Two of them medicate and the other works out to try to manage it. I do both and go to counseling. It isn't a crutch, it's suffocating. When I work up the nerve to ask for help on something my worst fear is not being believed and told that they think it's just a crutch.

• i have really bad anxiety, i have had panic attacks and everything. i am on medication and i go to therapy, but it's hard to get over quickly. eventually i will overcome it i hope, but until then it really is still a legitimate REASON that i can't do things or react in certain ways, it isn't a crutch. i try very hard not to use it as an excuse for things though for this exact reason. people who don't have anxiety don't understand that sometimes it really can be completely entirely crippling. i know i shouldn't be anxious about X but it doesn't mean my nervous system and my body also know that. despite what some people seem to believe, anxiety is extremely difficult to just deal with and sometimes unfortunately it does prevent those of us who have it from doing things that are just normal to everyone else.

• It's not a crutch, imagine trying to go about your day normally and all of a sudden not bring able to breath and feeling dizzy and just not normal and the only thing that fixes it is getting out of the situation, it sucks.

But yeah it can be overcome it's just HARD and It can come back when you least expect it

• Possibly anxiety can be overcome with therapy and exposure to things they are afraid of.
    I have anxiety and I'm ashamed because I have reverted into my room and am doing nothing with my life.
    I don't want to take medication for it because I don't trust it. It's not a crutch because I don't blame it on the anxiety. I acknowledge that I am in the state I am willingly

• I have anxiety and I don't believe it's just a crutch. And I'm not saying this to be defensive, I'm saying this because I have managed to "suck it up" and go through unfavorable situations before despite the disorder. Did it suck? Oh my god yes, I've almost cried doing the simplest of shit because I was so upset but it had to be done. I've had anxiety attacks at work but I hid that shit and kept going because I had crap to do. I'm under a lot of pressure to perform though, being active duty military, so I do have the strength and motivation to save it for later and pull through.

Most other people with anxiety don't have that pressure or motivation though. And unless it's of extreme importance they really shouldn't be forced to act normal while their brain keeps sending danger signals. People with anxiety should be allowed to be in their comfort zones without judgement. Just because someone thinks a person with anxiety should do this or go there, that doesn't mean they need to in order to be happy or have a good life. And yes, anxiety is occasionally used as a crutch, but so what? If someone doesn't want to do something but is too insecure to say so without an excuse, just let 'em. There's not much you can do for that.

And as far as the medication thing goes, do you even know what that crap does to you? Majorly screws with your noggin. After having a little of both, I'd rather have anxiety than depression, thank you. And for me personally, seeking medical attention for a mental disorder is pretty much the equivalent of shoving my career down a garbage disposal. Again, no thank you.

• that doesn't sound very scientific or medically sound... "And as far as the medication thing goes, do you even know what that crap does to you? Majorly screws with your noggin. " it's literally you making stuff up because you are apparently some hick redneck who thinks medication is satans work or something since clearly you have no regard for fact or logic.

• If I'm to go by your impolite reply, I'm not sure you'll take the time to read any of what I have to say to you. But here it is anyway, if not to educate you, to educate someone who WILL take the time.

This "hick redneck", as you call me, happens to know a few things about psychology and drugs. And how does a hick redneck like me come upon that knowledge? College my friend! Oh, the beauty that is education! And If you combine a college education with personal experience (like meeting and talking to other people who have some manageable mental disorders, like anxiety), beautiful things happen.
      BUT, what am I even saying right now, we've already established that you think I'm dumb so it's not like I can convince you otherwise. Nope, you want hard proof. So here you go. A complete list of side effects and their frequency of occurrence provided by drugs. com, partnered with the FDA:
      http://www.drugs.com/sfx/xanax-side-effects.html

Also, to assume makes an ass out of u and me.

• Of course, this is only one form of medication. But it is the one that would be most likely prescribed to me if I found it to be worth destroying my career over.

• It really depends on how that anxiety is expressed. For example I have really bad drivers anxiety so I don't own a car and license. But now taking the bus is an unreliable mode of transportation where I live. My anger for the bus system is stronger than My anxiety so I'm saving up for a car and trying to get my license so I can be more independent.

• Not taking medication for anxiety doesn't mean anything. A pill can't fix everything if thats what you're trying to say. You seem very ignorant & uneducated about the topic and I suggest you not open your mouth again until you've actually done your research or have had to deal with it yourself.

• All emotions in general are crutches. Just depends how u use them

• Not unless you use it as one, most people with anxiety just mention it like "Just to let you know I have anxiety so bear with me I will be trying my best!" it's not like they used it as an excuse to not try but they realise it could make things a bit harder and they are willing to fight through that anyway.

• but aren't they kind of letting themselves off the hook by blaming their inability to socialize on anxiety? if a fat person told you they have a glandular problem and then ate a cupcake would you be like oh well he's trying his best

• Ok try thinking of it this way, I have severe asthma and years and years ago before we had the science to understand asthma people thought it was a mental illness and it had the same kind of stigma as anxiety disorders and depression. People with asthma were thrown in insane asylums and thought to be feeble-minded and using "I can't breathe!" as an excuse. What they couldn't see was that the person's airways were literally closing up, it wasn't outwardly visible so they denied that people were actually suffering from it. Anxiety disorders and depression are actual physical conditions which damage the human brain, when you compare a healthy brain to a brain of someone with depression or anxiety they look physically different some parts of the ill person's brain are shrunken. Sure it doesn't turn up as a visible injury but Anxiety disorders are physical conditions just like asthma, with hard work they can be improved and the brain can heal but it's not just an "excuse".

• www.psychologytoday.com/.../depression-and-anxiety-disorders-damage-your-brain-especially-when
      If a person with Anxiety or depression just ignores their condition and never gets treated because people encourage them to just "suck it up" and ignore it they cause further injury to the internal structures of their brain. If we had to do a job together that forced me to do physical activity which aggravated my asthma and I asked you to bear with me you would right? If someone is aware of their anxiety and they let people know it's just like saying "I know my limitations and I don't want to worsen my condition so please keep that in mind" very rarely are people saying this to shrug off responsibility the last thing someone with anxiety wants is to be viewed as lazy or irresponsible because then their condition will make them feel 10x more guilty about that than a healthy person so usually they try even harder than most to avoid that guilt and panic of not being good enough.

• A lot of people do use it like that but that's true with most mental and learning issues.

• I don't usually think as it as genetics tbh if I am having. Issues then I blame it on me

• anxiety is not a crutch it has real mental side effects and effects the body to a degree you are very stressed

• Anxiety is what you feel when you don't have a crotch. I read a few of this guys opinions and he's way out with the psychologic understanding of a frog. And pushing antianxiety medications on people is the height of stupidity

• Anxiety can't be cured. If you have it you have it for life. It's all about how you choose to manage it.

What Guys Said 12

• Anxiety is an emotion, not a crutch. We all make decisions based on our emotions. People with anxiety are no different in that regard. Ultimately ever decision you have ever made was because you felt like making that decision.

Just because someone doesn't take medication for a problem they have, doesn't erase their excuse.

They don't know how to overcome their anxiety so try to improve other areas hoping that something will help. The fact they constantly try to improve everything else is proof they are trying to move on with their lives, and deal with their situation the best they can.

Of course they use it to justify their behavior. Our emotions effect they types of choices people want to make, and anxiety effects peoples emotions. Just like people that have a phobia might use their fear as an excuse not to do something. It doesn't mean their phobia is a crutch, that is just how something makes them feel, so they want to avoid it.

I have no idea what you are talking about when you say you tell them about "your fear". That could be that they simply have no idea how to respond, or that the way you say it is showing how dismissive you are about their fears.

"Yes, anxiety makes doing some things more difficult than it does for the majority of people, but that doesn't mean it can't be done with maximum effort." That may be true for your levels of anxiety, but people don't feel exactly the same way about things, or feel the same levels of emotions. There are also people with deep emotional scars from abuse or other factors that sometimes they just don't have the strength to overcome.

What it comes down to is you don't understand how people with a different set of emotions can function so differently from yourself Whether we like it or not, different levels of. anxiety plays a huge role in shaping people to be individuals. just like any other emotion. If we were all able to put in "maximum effort" and overcome the same things, the world would be a far more boring place, and would also completely lack any sympathy at all.

• You've obviously never taken a psychology course or met someone with a real anxiety disorder. It's a serious illness which many times results in suicide. And that suicide number is waaaaay larger than you might think. It's the third biggest cause of death in the US.

Seeing these types of questions about asking if people with mental disorders are faking, or making excuses or that they just need to handle their lives better is extremely offensive and ignorant.

You can't make these kinds of claims when you know ZERO about what an anxiety disorder actually is. Also, for the record I don't have anxiety, but I do have a mental disorder and I can feel the pain of people who have to read your judgmental shit.

• The word is constantly, inappropriately misused by people who have no idea what the condition of suffering from anxiety is. It's sort of becoming a buzz word for worried.

And, usually people suffering from anxiety don't even know it. They experience a tightness in their chest, or their experiencing fatigue, malaise, they feel like they can't get anything done or whatever to such a point it drives them to see a Doctor.

It's very unlikely that a person truly suffering from and being treated for Anxiety would even admit it let alone us it as a crutch. They're ashamed of it, it's an embarrassment to them; they feel "not normal" or that something's wrong with them.

It's not a phobia, a form of depression, an autism spectrum disorder, OCD, ADD or ADHD. It's a debilitating mental health disorder.

Anxiety is a medical condition that seriously impacts the lives of people who suffer from it.

It's a shame that people who truly don't have an anxiety disorder purport to have it, and use it as an excuse for their behavior.

• I'm not sure if there are clinical cases of anxiety or if its always something set off by a phobia, trauma, or consternation. But some people just don't like big crowds and that's perfectly fine as long as they're happy. And some people just over analyze a situation and their body goes into overdrive when they engage in social activity. And some people just don't fit in or don't get noticed amongst their peers. Anxiety might just be an excuse. Meds might help them just enough to get by. But you can't force or pressure someone to change if they don't want to. And you're frustrated because they don't want to, not because of any specific excuse they gave.

• Anxiety CAN be a crutch for someone feeling insecure and an excuse for hate.
    IF I hated Christians, I'd say it's Christianophobia an that would be a good excuse.

• No I don't believe so, I believe that you don't have much experience with crippling anxiety if you honestly believe it's that simple. Anxiety can make it next to impossible to do something. When my anxiety is at its worst, I can barely speak or move. It's like an almost complete loss of control over your body.

It's not a persistent, recurring issue for me so I'm not medicated or anything but when it does hit me, trying to fight it is futile.

• other: it can be a crutch but not necessarily.

you can't really tell somebody with such severe anxiety that they have panic attacks every time they walk into a crowd that they should just take medication for it. it's not always that simple.

on the other hand, some people do use it to rationalise away all their faults and not make an effort to improve themselves.

for me, a bigger problem was just a simple lack of social skills. I was not afraid of talking to people per se but I was very bad at carrying on a conversation. if I tried to blag my way through then people would treat me as that weirdo, even at university (e. g. in my accomodation and stuff), so I stopped trying such a direct route because it is not my thing. instead I immersed myself in my work, took up more hobbies.

now I have quite a dynamic and active life but I still feel that my interactions are quite shallow (I generally prefer not to say much but that is also because I feel most people are not worth talking to anyway based on how they treated me before I was a cooler and more interesting person). it's not like I'm not trying to get out of the house or anything - I am - and I don't feel it's as simple as anxiety either (I have been told many things, e. g. that I am obsessive, I have anger management, depression, passive-agressiveness, mood swings, apathetic, etc., etc.). for this reason I really do feel from my experience that 'anxiety' is a simplification (along with most popular psychology internet diagnoses and even much of cognitive behavioural therapy) but then I have never been fully immersed in such a condition.

• I embrace anxiety. Helps motivate me out of fear.

• People who don't have anxiety fake it to use it as a crutch. But when you do actually have anxiety, it's like walking against a hurricane, a struggle to push yourself to stop hiding back into your shell.

• No, it's just an excuse that people use when they're unhappy about something.

• these trivial fears exist in just about every person unless they've been trained by a career to do otherwise. most people can deal w/ it, i feel sorry for those who can't.

raised into a buncha hermit ass pussies scared to talk to anyone outside of the internet. everyday people are training themselves to be less familiar w/ in person social communication by texting each other.

pitiful.

• I agree with you very much.
      But on the other hand, me personally- I have had anxiety, socially from about age 10- now but I've always been anti social. And I'm one more for reading and drawing and one sport- don't spend majority of my free time on the Internet. I don't even have a phone haha so I'm never on it outside of my house anyways. And on the sunny side- I CAN put up with it, it doesn't rule my life too much so that's good.

• @Mickey712 you sound like you can self manage and overcome. I've noticed people tend to exxagerate (well all humans do), especially when self assessing. you'd think by everyones description of their anxiety that they were plagued with severe clinical anxiety... but on your bright side, sounds non clinical.

and good for you for staying off the internet. keep that up and the reading as well.😊

• Thank you!

• It's the opposite of a crutch. It's a hindrance.
    Also medication doesn't do shit.