So my friend is trying to set me up on a date with a woman who has a kid. I'm nowhere near that stage in my life should I give it a try anyway?

It would be just a cup of coffee. My main concern is the fact that I'm not in a place to get married or be a parent. From anyone with advise on this sort of situation, would I be required to become a husband and father type figure soon after getting into a relationship. Or can someone with a kid just date for a while and have a boyfriend outside of that.

Most Helpful Guy

• 1. You have the cart 17 miles ahead of the horse! You haven't even met her. Every encounter does not lead to dating and all dating does not lead to marriage. Go enjoy meeting someone who apparently wants to meet you!

2. Don't let her introduce you to her child unless you get into a committed relationship. There is no need to mess with the feelings of a little one. ("Can you be my daddy?" and then you're gone the next week. . . been there, done that; listen to the voice of experience.)

What Girls Said 1

• If you don't think you are near that stage, I'd suggest you not to try it.

What Guys Said 2

• Its just a cup of coffee.
    What if she's the perfect woman, but with a kid?
    If your answer is that the kid is a deal breaker, then dont waster either of your time. But if she's perfect, and you can get used to a kid, it just might be worth a cuppa to see.

• Some women will not introduce her kid until she is ready for that, which will be later on. BUT, there are some women that do want that instant family/father/husband figure, so you have to watch out. Personally, I would avoid this. Because she has a kid, you will never have 100% of her attention. The kid will always come before you. The father of the kid will always be in the picture to some degree, like it or not. A lot of your time together will also include this kid, and there will be lots of times you can't be alone together because of this kid. She won't have a babysitter every time. The only way it can really work is if you realize you are dating her and also entering a relationship with the kid too. It doesn't have to be father-like, but at least pal-like. If all you want is a girlfriend with no baggage or drama, you need to decline and steer clear!