Would you date a person with a mental illness?

Just curious ^^

• I'd definitely help and support them.
    39%(17)42%(32)Vote45%(15)
  • Ew, fuck no. I haven't got time to deal with an emotional wreck.
    9%(4)8%(6)Vote6%(2)
  • I'm not sure, I would try to though.
    27%(12)30%(23)Vote33%(11)
  • I don't think I could date them but I would be their friend.
    14%(6)12%(9)Vote9%(3)
  • Nope.
    11%(5)8%(7)Vote7%(2)
It's nice to see a lot of feedback whether it's positive or not. The reason I ask is because I have a couple mental illnesses myself and the question came to my mind when I was thinking about my life. I can't reply to all the comments but I have read them and I realise I could of put so many other options down~ Thanks for answering the poll and commenting your own opinions below. All your answers really interested me and I'm looking forward to reading others if there are some. : )

Most Helpful Girl

• Definitely! And people say in their opinions that they draw the line at Schizophrenia, but I wouldn't. I don't find them harmful. In fact, I would love to get to know and understand someone who has it, because for a short time I thought I was able to relate to the illness (I get symptoms when I am REALLY stressed).
    If I had to put a limit on the illness at all, I'd say one that correlates with being psychotic. I am fine with dating someone who's Schizophrenia, Bipolar, Borderline, depressed, anxious, or OCD, but I will not be with somebody who suffers from psychotic episodes. If I feel threatened by them, that is definitely a problem. Since I understand the disorders I've mentioned, and I know what the symptoms are, I'm not afraid of being around anyone who has it. I mean, I'd be a hypocrite. I'm suffering from depression, anxiety, and a skin-picking disorder (I don't know the name). I'm probably weirder than any boyfriend of mine would be. And I'm not saying those things are weird... I just gross myself out with the skin picking.

The point is, I would be there and support them as much as possible. They're likely to get better faster if they have somebody there with them. I am taking a slower route to "freedom," so they'd be helping me too.

• This is the first comment that I completely agree with. No matter what the person I'm interested in has (unless they are psychotic or a harm) I will stick with them and support them to the end. : )

• Exactly. I like your views on it. Thanks for MHO.

• Same here. No problem, you deserved it.

Sponsored

What Guys Said 18

• There is really no good answer to this. Rather, the only answer is "it depends." What it depends on is the mental illness and how severe it is. For example, I have friends who have severe anxiety and they take medication and stuff for it, and I wouldn't really know (most days) that they had it unless they told me.

Mental illness by itself is not a turn off. For dating potential, I would judge a person with mental illness the same way that I would judge someone without a mental illness. I'm not going to brush off someone because they have a mental illness but I'm not going to give them benefit of the doubt or "extra handicap points" because they have a mental illness.
    I feel like that wouldn't be fair to me and it wouldn't be fair to them either -- it'd be like I would be looking down upon them.

It's a case by case situation. There is no blanket statement I can give on this. If I'm on the fence, I'd rather take a chance dating them than not. Nevertheless, even if things don't work out, they would still most likely be friend material.

• Some mental illnesses are actually thought disorders, and not chemical imbalances at all. Change the emotion change the thoughts change the illness. All illnesses in my mind are caused by rampant negative emotions.

• Depends on the illness, if it was something that impairs their ability to go on with their life on their own then no, if it was something they can live with by themselves such as OCD then sure.
    In general, I wouldn't want to be in a relationship with anybody who has a kind of disability that creates dependency on others to function properly.

• Yes i would and i already did, I (when in highschool) dated a beautiful girl, unfortunately she had a very common mental illness. Common as in many people in the world have it. It was rough during the 2 years of our relationship but at some point I just couldn't take it anymore

• For those who don't know she was diagnosed with terminal Religious Belief at a very young age and I thought i could see past that but in the end i couldn't

• sure i would, i know what its like to have a mental illness so i would date a girl like that and try my best to make her happy.

• Depends on the person, the illness, and how they are coping with the illness.

• Yeah, my girlfriend has depression I have depression, both of those are mental illnesses so I don't see why not

• Depends, if its anything like my neighbor, no because she's a nightmare and a half, but depending on the illness i may well date her, if its something im knowledgable on then yes and im knowledgable and many illnesses.

• I have my own problems as it is, but I don't judge if the women is good, i'll definitely give her a chance.

• no I wouldn't
    not that there bad but they make less sense than most women
    and women already make little to no sense at all

so it's just a worse deal

• ASD technically is a mental illness (at least I view it as one) so I have absolutely no issue dating a fellow mentally ill person, in theory. In practice, this would really depend on what mental illness we're talking about.

• I've got my own so yes

• What mental illness r we talkin here?

• I don't have any specific mental conditions, where would you draw the line?

• Like nothing that can be fixed happened to them.

• Sorry it's hard to explain, haha.

• definitely depends on what illness... cause i´m certainly not ready to deal with anything.

• Depends, what's the the illness?

• Anything really.. Where would you draw the line?

• If she represents a danger to our children, example.

• I see, that makes perfect sense.

• It really depends on what mental illness it is and how that could affect our relationship.

• Depends what the illness is exactly.

• Depends on the severity, and what it is.

What Girls Said 17

• I have a mental illness myself. Before dating someone with a mental illness, I'd need to figure out how they would affect me. I need to look after my own health, y'know? So if this relationship with this person is going to cause me a lot of stress and anxiety because I have to deal with theirs too, then I don't think I could be with them.

• Um I think this totally depends on the situation... If I have been friends with them for a while probably. If I am just meeting them and dating likely not. It also depends if they are already getting help for it or still not admitting to needing help.

• I have a mixed mental disorder, so getting with someone who has a mental illness would not work well. Since both wouldn't be sane at all. :D

• No because I am one.

• Both my boyfriend and I suffer from mental illnesses (I suffer from more), but he and I balance each other out.

• Love is love! If I love someone who happens to have a mental illness, then we'll deal with it together. :) I wouldn't go out of my way to find a relationship like that though. I wouldn't prefer it obviously, I don't want anyone to suffer - especially not someone I love - but I would 100% love on them and support them if I needed to. :)

• It depends on the mental illness and the severity of it, I can't picture myself ever dating a chronically depressed or schizophrenic person for instance but I'd be fine with someone who was just a little bipolar for instance.

• I would, do, and have done. 1/4 people suffer from some form of mental illness and it just means i can be close to my partner to help them.

• I am. And so does anyone who dates me.

• I could try depending on the mental illness and its severity.

• We all have mental issues.

• I have my own so yes I would

• Depends on the kind of mental illness, how serious it is and if they're on medication. I certainly wouldn't mind someone with OCD or ADHD but schizophrenia is where I draw the line.

• Yes! I have a mental illness myself.

• Yes :)

• Sure :)

• no, too troublesome but if I can sleep without him disturbing me, so maybe he have a chance but he better no bothering me