How to have a long term relationship with someone who is incarcerated or just basically having legal issues?

Been friends with this boy since middle school, after middle school we went separate ways... ocasionally talked on facebook... after college became consistently in contact and started dating.. but he has a record that he is still serving a sentence on but he recently was at the wrong place at the wrong time and has gotten arrested on suspicion... well things have been hard and i bet he thinks he is a fuck up to be with me, finally, i mean since we were preteens, and then shit keeps getting in the way with his past. i still like him though. he's really nice and sweet, makes me laugh and we have good times.. its just i want something stable.. and i dont wanna end things because of his recent incarceration i still think we can be. but i keep throwing my frustration at him and thats not good for us and he has been a bit distant which is understandable because he cannot be around and is unsure of us now. well... its my choice to stay with him and work things out. i wanna keep this going forthe time being... what cn i do to keep things going while he is going through this hard time? i write him, send him things, and visit him at least once weekly. but i wanna keep the love and feelings to where they were before the iincarceration. any suggestions? i know im not or have not been the only one going through this. appreciate the help in advance.

What Guys Said 2

• My girlfriend is in prison but unlike you I met her on a prison pen pal site. We've been together a year. She is in a neighboring state and I try to visit monthly. I do put money on her books monthly also. I keep it going because I genuinely like her and think we'll have a bright future when she gets out next year

• May I ask how long she has been in?

• And thats great that you see more to her than her past

• She's been in 6 years

• Look at the positives and negatives which outweighs the other

What Girls Said 1

• If you want something stable, why would you want to be with him in the first place? I think before deciding what to do, you should be honest with yourself.