Would you date/marry a woman who wants to be a stay-at-home mom?

• Yes
  • No.

Most Helpful Girl

• I want to be one and i don't care what other guys say here

What Girls Said 33

• I would love to be a stay-at-home-mom someday if we can afford it. I currently work as a full-time nanny and I probably see more of the baby than his parents do (I'm with him from 7:30-5:30 every weekday, and he goes to bed at 7pm). I've seen a few of his firsts before his parents did, though I didn't tell them because that'd upset them.

I just don't like the idea of paying a stranger to raise my kids for me. I'd rather be with them myself if at all possible.

• You're a stranger being paid to take care of someones baby! How Ironic!!!

you need the money =)

• i am not a guy but i some might agree and others not!!! but personally i think a woman can stay at home (or even work at home/from home) until her kid goes to school... then go back to work once her kid is like 2 or something

• why not continue working from home even after the kids go to school?

personally, kids or not, working at home (for myself) is the ideal for me.

• @thewanderingme that sounds like a good idea!.. more time to spend with kids

• It's a real job. I would prefer it if she got a job after college before having the kids and got one when they were older but the latter isn't always possible. Honestly once they are all school aged being a teacher is a pretty good stay-at-home Mon job because the hours reflect those of their kids at school. But depending on the kids extra curricular a it might not be worth it or possible. If Dad is clearing six figures and the kids have extra curricular a than it really isn't worth Mom working 50 hours a week for 30k.

• You better be rich! I couldn't live my life that way but if someone man or woman is happy being a stay at home parent and they can afford to then good for them! I'd be bored as hell myself though!

• I don't want to be a stay at home mom and wouldn't want to be with a guy who wants to be a stay at home dad. Not that I don't think men aren't capable of being great stay at home parents, or that I don't want to be home with my kids all day. It's because that lifestyle just isn't financially feasible in today's world, especially where I live. Managing on one income here isn't impossible, but it is tight unless you make a really decent six figure salary (like $150K or more).

I like having my own job, my own money, and reaching my own career goals. I have always been taught by my parents that if I want money, I should make an effort to get it myself and not from anyone else. I don't want to be dependent on my husband to provide me with an allowance or something. What would happen if we broke up and now all of a sudden I have no money at my disposal and I have to find a job after 5 years, maybe even 10 years? That's not exactly something you want to have on your resume.

• I want to be a stay at home mom while my kids are young. But before I have kids, and once they are old enough to start school, I will definitely be working.

• Provided if I were male, sure! Nothing to do with societal standards either. My friend is married to a stay-at-home dad and man, does he dedicate his time to the kids and the house. It's nice! I don't see anything wrong with the label but I understand the stigmas too.

• You know I realized that being a stay at home mom isn't as easy as it seems.

Especially if all the kids are the same age or close to same age. (6 months baby, 2 year old toddler, and 8 year old)

• If there is the perspective of building a family then yes, well i'd prefer to work 1st and enjoy the relationship before and then when there are children you need to take responsibility and take care of them and when i say take care it's like a real mother not just put some walmart food in the microwave when i see how kids are raised nowadays it makes me cringe i admire my mum a lot for what she gave to me... making money yeah okay but i prefer to give a good education and share real values and all i learned, be here for them etc and it's also a way to take care of your man, cook for him take care of him and that doesn't mean you can do nothing else i think you can still have hobbies and so on... anyways this is just how i feel and as a daughter too i see how others are treated by their parents and so on... like i am not saying parents who both work cannot raise children but they can sometimes miss something etc... this is just how i feel tho

Conclusion : housewifes are awesome lol

• I'm actually in the middle of setting up a business. A stay at home business that will travel if needed and if I had children in there for them too.

Does that count?

• Ain't nobody got time for that.

How fucking boring of a life could you ask for? Not learning anything new every day, not challenging yourself.

Gross.

• So people who work are always learning something new everyday and challenging themselves. Do you know how many mundane, uninteresting and meaningless jobs are out there?

• and at the end of the day, they both rely on eachother.

• No, because I'm straight lol

• Stay at home dad if roles reversed? No, personally not the way I would like to live my life.

• If she wants and I'm confident in my ability to bring home enough money to support us.

• Sure if she wants!

• I want to work please. I want to earn by my own. It doesn't matter whether he's rich or no, I still wanna work.

• I don't usually get on well with hyper-traditional people.

• I wouldn't mind being a stay at home mom. Especially in the early years.

• No!. I think that both parents needs to work today to be able to provide.

• No I prefer people with ambitions and goals in life similar to mine.

• i'd rather pursue my career until i get pregnant and have babies then i'd leave my job temporarily and come back when my kids are older

• well im a straight girl, but if i was a guy, i'd prefer her to work because unless im somehow going to become a millionaire, my average job won't pay all the bills.

• i wouldn't marry a stay at home dad :x

• Noes!! I don't marry girls! 🙅💁

• Nope :/

• Nah, I'd rather be with someone who is outgoing and doesn't want kids.

• i would like to be a housewife

• i am not going marry a woman, i am into boys...
    but i want to be sit at home mom when i am married and then turn my hobbies in job (photography and art)

• If I were to do this, I'd expect more to do than making Pinterest crafts and thinking up overly elaborate children's birthday parties like a lot of "modern" helicopter SAHMs I know. Traditionally, women who stayed home kept gardens, killed chickens, canned and preserved, sewed clothes, etc.

If I was going traditional route, I think picking up some of the other parts makes most sense. Esoecially growing and preserving food and herbs.

• I don't plan on ever having children, but I don't see anything wrong with being a stay-at-home parent, I actually think that it's really, really great for kids, and in an ideal world everyone would be financially capable of having one of the parents be home with the children. It's good when your main priority can be parenting, instead of being at a job from the early morning to early evening, with only enough time left in the day to eat, have a brief conversation, then pass out and repeat the whole thing 4 more days.

I don't really get how people can compare being a stay-at-home parent to having a job though. I guess the people who say that have never actually held a job before. How can you think that doing some laundry, running some errands, and cooking a couple times a day is equivalent to a job?

• More from Girls
    3

What Guys Said 80

• Too many people on here are complaining about how their standard of living would suffer with just having one income. If you have children, you should be thinking about their standard of living: having a mom who takes care of them so they don't get exposed to all the horribles that happen in day care, getting them ready and taking them to school, picking them up in the afternoons, helping them with after school activities. There are things in life far more important than having the latest and greatest video game system!

• What are the horrible things that happen in daycare and are they different then the horrible things that can happen to children in school?

• Completely agree with this.

• Upon rereading this whole comment thread, I realized it got out of hand. I apologize for that.

• A woman whose goal is to be a stay at home mom? No, probably not. Those kind of women tend to be the ones that believe being a stay at home mom is the hardest job in the world.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoJrMaFlxOk

But I won't say no if when we have a kid, she wants to stay at home with them until they go to school (I'd be willing to do that too, it's a discussion we need to have when we're about to have kids). But after that, get back to work.
    I live alone, go to school, and do all the chores myself, and I still have free time.

• I mean I like a girl I'm dating to be ambitious in whatever job or field she chooses, and works hard in something. But down the road I definitely see a traditional kind of setting for myself, where I'm the primary money maker and she's at home with the kids. Assuming I convince someone to marry me anyways lmao

• Yes, but ONLY if she is willing to sign a pre-nup. I don't want to be screwed over in case of a divorce.

• You would prefer for her to be screwed over?

• @sjoes006 I just read in Psychology that when there is money disparities, couples are more likely to cheat. Google it.

• @sjoes006kids are in school from 8am, til 2-3 o'clock so what is she doing for those 8 hours also. even when she picks them up she only has to deal with them for three hours til the father gets home.

Prenup sounds reasonable. No stay at home sounds studied stay home mom is like having a part time. job. about 28 hours a week

• What if I want to say at home and just play video games and have to work? She can work and pay all the bills so I can have the life I want! Why is ok for a woman to want to stay home and not work and have the life she wants and it is ok because she is raising kids in the process. I don't understand why having kids makes it ok to stay at home. If she gets her life, why I can't have mine?

• Have at it!

• Well, then the solution is gor you to find a woman willing to work and support your gaming habits while you stay home

• Fair enough. But good luck finding a partner who is willing to work all day and support you while you sit at home playing games. Raising kids benefits both you and your partner, but gaming only benefits you.

• With the conditional consignment of a limited-prenup and 50/50 split allocation of child custody should things go wrong, yes.

Otherwise, FUCK NO.

Stay-at-home mothers, in the case of a divorce, make out like fucking bandits.

• Stay at home mom/dad is a harder job then most jobs out there. Certainly a more important job then any job in the working sector. If I made enough, then I would love that. THe problem I had early in my marriage is that we bought a new home we really couldn't afford and my wife decided she wasn't going back to work full time. That caused me a lot of resentment. we made due but we could have been a lot more comfortable if she had worked. but once we decided to have our 2nd and 3rd child, the cost of daycare would have been more then her working anyway. Eventually she became a nurse. We decided we didn't want strangers raising our kids so I worked midnights/afternoons and she worked days. I did it for 12 years. It was a sacrifice since it was basically career suicide for me but it was for my family.
    of course once the kids started getting older and it was time for me to have my career, she threw me and our family out the window to be with one of the guys she was fucking at the end of our marriage. so now it is a struggle to make ends meet.
    sorry... got off topic lol
    I was out of work for 3 years, and it was very rewarding being able to spend that time with my 3 boys. But when she was home with them, I knew it was the best thing for them. So I was ok with it eventually...

• Would be a big no. Two income is almost 3 times the wealth you can get on a single I come family. I would like to retire in comfort before 50 so I don't want a domestic servant wanna-be as my wife. I would rather share the house work, clean out the house, do groceries and clean the toilets if she would get out of the house and help with the income.

You need about 2.5-5 mil in savings to retire in comfort. My plans involves me saving for myself at nearly 20 years. I can't make 10mil in 20 years to support 2 people with only one income.

• I said no simply because I like a girl with professional passions, preferably academic.

While I support women who are passionate about keeping a home and I realize it is a super tough task, it's just not what I want. I want to share in those responsabilites and be with my kids some too, and I want my wife to live a healthy life outside the house too, but that is just me.

• I prefer a traditional relationship. I don't mind working for her and the family. Kids need their mother there all the time. They can do without us though. If you ask me it's the most natural thing in the world. You even see it in the animal kingdom. The only reason people fight it is the crap that the media tells you may the elite are at war with the family model and everybody who's against the traditional family is supporting them. You sow the seeds of you own destruction. You country was built on the back of the traditional family. This craziness is destroying it

• Yes I sure do I would eat like a king

• If I love her, then yes.

Personally I am quite ambitious as far as my career goes and I believe it more likely I will get along with a woman with similar goals. Simply put I do not believe that I would be likely to fall for a girl who wants to be a stay-at-home mom. If I do, I won't mind it. Assuming my paycheck is enough to afford a comfortable living of course.

• Probably not, since I don't really want kids.

But I'd date someone who wanted to keep the house and either work part-time or run a home-based business...

• I would, but ideally she should have a career with some experience behind it before getting pregnant and leaving the workforce. Just in case anything happens, say the husband gets sick, laid off, etc. Marriage is about teamwork, and kids need supervision. Child care costs a fortune, and I would trust the mother of my children over some strange raising them any day of the week. There is nothing wrong with a woman who wants to stay at home and care for the family, if anything that shows she isn't selfish and is willing to work and sacrifice on behalf of the family. Children should always come first.

• Of course I would.

• I don't think so. Perhaps only when she's pregnant and later the kid needs to be taken care of in the first two or so years. But forever a housewife? No.

• I dont really want kids so probably not.

• I wanted my wife to work so we could have a BMW. She wanted to stay home with the kids and she did. I think it was for the best that she did.

• Yes, I would.

• I guess I could, considering I am a software developer. Many people cannot afford that privilege though.

• Hey, how's it going? I want to ask a off-topic question.
      I'm aspiring to be a professional software developer. Right now, I work help desk and my job gives me projects to do here and there, but not the pay.
      How do I break into that business?
      Thanks.

• @Reflexy depends on where you study. It also has math, but not as much math as pure math.

• Well either way Ill be applying to Warick which is a university in the uk.

• No get off your ass. and get a job being a stay at home mom is a part time job

kids are in school from 8am, til 2-3 o'clock so what is she doing for those 8 hours also. even when she picks them up she only has to deal with them for three hours til the father gets home.

• No. I don't particularly want kids and I need a woman to be able to stimulate my mind. It's hard for me to imagine a housewife being able to do that and the ones I've met have not done anything to expand my imagination on the matter.

• No. I've seen how this works out in relationships. A woman being a stay at home mom in today's relationship dynamics is a stupid idea

• yeah, but i'd like her to pick up a hobby and stuff. my parents were always working and it sucked that i would have to stay at after school until like 6pm or later while my friends' parents picked them up right after school :/

• A woman who wanted to be a woman and fulfill the natural female role would be my preferred choice of mate.

• A housewife forever? Nah. In today's world, that shit wouldn't fly with me. Like is this what women really want out of their lives? can't imagine how boring their lives would be.

• No, because I don't want kids, and I enjoy cooking and cleaning myself.

• Sure, it's a legitimate line of work.

• I already am.

• Hell yes. I would in a heartbeat.

• More from Guys
    50