Do high school relationships last?

I've been dating this guy since I was 15, I'm turning 18 soon. I know people say things like "you think you're in love but at such a young age you can't be" or "you don't know what love is". I truthfully believe he's the only man I will ever love. Am I foolish to think this way? Do you know someone who's married their HS boyfriend/gf or are you someone who has?
Thanks :)

Most Helpful Guy

• I married my HS sweetheart. We were together for 19yrs.9 of them married. In 2007 she passed away at age 36. I m not going to find another to fill her shoes.. I don't want to.. So yes they can last... If u both give it your all it is beautiful

• Thank tou so much. I'm so sorry for your loss.

• I don't think of it as a loss. I was privileged to share a good part of her life. And I m proudly raising 3 boys that she lives through everyday.

• Awe that's very sweet. Glad you are living your life to the fullest.

What Guys Said 21

• I won't answer"yes", I won't answer "no", but I will answer this: very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, VERY rarely does it work out.

I'm not saying that your love isn't credible. I'm not saying you can't fall in love at your age - because the truth of the matter is that YES, you can.

But there are a lot of strains that will be put on your relationship. I've heard of couples who dated from the beginning of HS to the end of HS, but as soon as they went off to separate colleges, most of them either cheated or got cheated on (or both). Some were loyal and tried to keep it together, but drifted apart due to their lives being too busy. Or perhaps the distance was too much for them. A VERY tiny % of those couples made it through college still together and ended up getting married and starting a family. But most of those who were left ended up getting divorced later on in life anyway - as if it was all for nothing. My very own parents are an example.

What I'm trying to say is that it is possible, but you will surely face more hardships than the average couple, and I'd advise you not to get your hopes up.

• I know several couples who dated in high school or middle school and are still together after 40+ years. I know one couple who started dating when they were 13-14 and stayed together.

If you find the right person it shouldn't matter how old you are. Actually marrying at 15 isn't a good idea. But if you are still together into adulthood and everything seems right, it's stupid to break up just because of your age. The "right" one can just as easily be the first person you date as the tenth.

• No, they don't last very long

• They do but they are rare, my aunt and uncle were high school sweethearts they were together through high school and after they got out they got married. They've been married happily for well over 20+ years now.

• No lol incredibly rare in my opinion

• You're not foolish, you can be in love no matter your are. Come on, you're not a kid anymore and you were no longer a child when you started dating him. Ignore what people say, it's not their business. If you feel in love then you are in love.

• I have heard those are the best kind the high school sweatheart

• hun it's actually the opposite when your young
    you actually love

when you become an adult it's about what the other person can give you
    there's no love involved as an adult, cause at your age you require nothing of your boyfriend, you really don't you just want him too love you

• Meh. Its rare that such things last.
    I would recommend that you live with him for around four to five years before you marry or have a kid.

• From my experience most of them don't make it through the first year of college but I do know a couple of people who married their HS sweetheart

• I wish I had a relationship like that at your age, honestly I do. To hell what others say, they're not you. Do what you believe is right and/or true.

• Lmaoo it don't, currently senior and never was really serious in any of my "relationship" tbh.

• My friend married his hs girlfriend. They have been married for 25 years and together for 30.

Although it's rare, it does happen. People don't know you better than you know yourself. So what if people claim you're too young or don't know what love is. If he makes you happy and vice versa, then that's wonderful and I would keep on seeing him.

• Well I think they might be right because you're too young for take some seriously decisions like "boyfriend" but hey its your life you can hang out with boys.

• No, it's very rare.

• There are high school sweethearts, but most times nope. Anything is possible.

• My grandparents met in highschool and they were married for over 75 years

• I know of only one highschool relationship that has lasted and they're still going strong. They've been together since they were 14. Cute couple

• My parents they are togeather 26 years and my ex's granparents 55 years

• NOPE! Because neither of you know what true responsibility and hardship is. You don't know how the other reacts under stress. You don't know if the other really wants kids when they see how much money it takes to just support two people when both people are working. You don't know how far the other is willing to go to keep this relationship together and fight for it. Just no, high school relationships don't last. Most of them stay together because they got pregnant. Then there's the guys and girls who have a baby but don't stay together. You know how hard it is for a single mom to find a boyfriend? Most men want their wife to only have their child, not some other mans.

• 99% of them do not last.

What Girls Said 19

• Honestly no, but it did last after high school. Its not foolish to think that way its really a gamble, I do know some people that are still with that person though.

• hardly.

• Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't, I know someone who married their highschool sweethearts and I think it really depends on the both of you, if you can communicate, be honest with each other then I think it may work.

• I wouldn't say you don't know what love is but people change. Things change. Becoming an adult is not an easy transition. Of course it's possible you 2 will be together forever but the statistics probably show it's unlikely. Just enjoy what you have right now.

• Thank you for your input (:

• It's very rare but once in a while high school sweethearts do last. If you love him and you're happy, keep rolling with it. Don't let other people get to you.

• Thank you so much :)

• Good to know

• Are you both planning to go to college? Different schools? The odds are against it but I know a few people that have made it last. Good luck❤️😊

• I'm going to community college and he's going to the same one and we're both transferring to the same college.

• Odds just went up of you making it😊❤️☮

• :) yay

• I know of people that have married their high school sweethearts. I'm not guaranteeing it'll happen to you that way, but it's not impossible either. Just be focused on your relationship in the moment - you're too young to be thinking marriage anyway. Keep living your life and whatever happens with him is what happens.

• Nope not really. if it does treasure it cause as years go by or time nothing stays the same I mean nothing just go with the flow and b careful and don't get took much in love that u forget about your self in any relationship your heart and your wellbeing matters the most don't let no one play u. follow God he's very important

• Thank you so muc! God bless you.

• I know a few relationships that have lasted since HS. Its rare, but if you are one of those people I'm really happy for you.

I always wanted something like that. I think it's great that you guys have been together for 3 years. But you're only beginning the hard part and I wish the best of luck to you guys.

• Thank you. You're very sweet.

• Not from my experience, but for some people yes.

• High school sweethearts is a very real thing and you two fit the definition.

• Is he your first real boyfriend? Any way, i'm going to say Yes. it can last. Me and my boyfriend have been dating since we were 16 and we are 20 now. I know that it's not that long but as long as you both still have trust in each other and good communication.

• I am someone who has.

• How was the journey up until now?

• Married 15 years this month. Sadly separated since December 1, 2014. Hoping we can work things out.

• I see. Well good to know. Thanks for sharing.

• Sometimes. My aunt married her high school sweetheart.

• I've been with mine since fifteen I'm about to be 23 I'm just letting you know it's gunna get real tough break ups and make ups bumpy roads it just depends some last and some don't

• Yeah I feel ya. Thanks for your input! Helps to hear from someone who's been there.

• Yeah just be ready for the unexpected your both growing up together so it's hard when you want something and he wants another and you both can't compromise trust me it's hard

• Thank you so much! This helps so much.

• Sometimes, not always.

• Very rarely.

• No, they don't

• It really depends! my sister dated her boyfriend at age 14! And got married when she was 23 but of course the had their ups and downs