How important is common interest to you in a relationship?

The guy I was dating had doubts about me because he thought we had different interests.. He likes topics like science, politics, and technology so he thought we couldn't connect in that way. In the end I left him because those doubts seemed to have always bothered him but i always felt like he never really tried to get to know me. I like science and technology too but he just assumed I wasn't interested.. We could have shared other common interests but he never put in the effort. i understand that common interest can be important in a relationship but I don't think it should define it.. Do most guys think that common interest should define a relationship or was this guy just particular in what he wanted?

What Guys Said 2

• I strongly believe " LIKES" attract.

Common interests and high compatibility is very very important in a relationship. It ensures that there is a common ground and more likes between the two people so in that way you can ensure that are less fights, less disagreements and so you will ensure a more peaceful relationship, a happier relationship.

Hence higher the compatibility the better it is

• We didn't have that many common interest but our personalities were very compatible.. We dated for 4 months but never even once had a disagreement or problem

• He is being particular. I think opposites attracts. And yes he did not give it a chance to know what u like.

What Girls Said 1

• To me? It's one of the most important things.