How to reject a person who asks you to Prom?

The guy who asked me to Prom is almost 3 years younger than me; I'm a Freshman in College, and he's a Junior in High-School. We worked together over the summer, and there was some flirting going on, before I found out that he was a lot younger than me, at which point I stopped, but he continued. Not only is he 3 years younger than me, but he is also planning on joining the army. I've never been in a relationship before, and it would be hard on me if I got one then had to deal with him being away all the time. The problem becomes that this crossing a line, work-wise; we're supposed to be co-workers, but now it's really awkward. If I say no it's awkward, if I say yes, he thinks that there's something going on between us, which there isn't. I don't really like him more than a friend, so this puts me in a really awkward position. When I called my Mom, she told me that I needed to say yes, even though she knows I don't really like him like that. I'm really confused, don't know what to say to him, and just feel really bad. What do I do?

Most Helpful Guy

• It's just one date to the prom. Make it clear it'll lead nowhere and you're only going as a friend

Most Helpful Girl

• Dear friends Am here to let you that Friendship is not only because of feelings or what we have but because of understanding, sharing and caring. friendship does not think distance, age or even co-lour. friendship is not just playing or chatting with each other. but friendship is hearing each others voice from the heart. A friend is a gift from God. someone who will cares as much as i do. i have read your profile at this site and i became interested in you and i will like to know you more, please mail me on mine private e mail Address (lindacolly23@hotmail. com) or you send your email i write to you

What Guys Said 3

• Easy. Just say your to old to be going to prom and that your prom days have passed.

• just say you weren't planning on going

• Well you flirted back so can't say crosses a line cause you did to.
    You can tell him you don't want to date or a relationship but would go as friends.

What Girls Said 5

• First, just because you go to prom doesn't mean that you're going to end up in a relationship, so just strike that from your mind. I think you should accept, because why not? Proms are fun, BUT I think you need to make it very clear to him your feelings. So "hey, I'd love to go to prom with you as friends, sounds like a lot of fun. But I do just want to be clear that I'm not really interested in anything more."

• "Yeah, I'll go as long as we're just going as friends! Because you know we're coworkers and you're younger and you're going into the military and I just can't deal with those things in a romantic type relationship. Not sure if that's where you were going with this but just wanted to make sure we are on the same page." Honest. Casual. If you don't act like it's a big deal then he hopefully will not either.

• Just say no thank you. You don't want things to be awkward at work and you really don't like him that way. That's all you need to say. You just need to be direct.

• It's only prom. Just go as friends, I'm sure you both will have a great time! Doesn't mean you have to get into a serious relationship with him.

• Tell him that you want to go with him but as friends and nothing more.