Taking a break, what did you experience?

my boyfriend and I of one year, have had a pretty rocky relationship but we've just been pushing through no matter what. tonight we agreed to take a break because neither of us want to just end things. we've set our boundaries -- no talking/texting, or seeing each other for two weeks. we've also agreed we aren't going to see other people. I'm trying to see this as a positive thing -- I really think it could be. anyways have you taken a break in a relationship? did you have a positive experience from it? can it be bennificial?

Most Helpful Guy

• Taking a break pretty much always leads to a break up, whether it happens now or it happens later. Sorry.

• so should I wait the two weeks or call him up now and tell him to go to he'll?

• **hell

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it's a good thing. This way you'll see if you really miss each other and have time to think about it all.

• That's what I'm really hoping for. However he did say that he was unhappy but didn't want to just end things like that. That's when I suggested we take a break. I'm just worried this will be a waste of time. Two weeks isn't that long, but still.

What Guys Said 1

• Yup it usually leads to a break up... which I think is a good thing. You need a break for someone when you are actually tired of them and that is exactly what I was with her

What Girls Said 3

• I've never taken a break. It came up once with my current boyfriend around the time we were around the 6-month mark, when we would fight on an almost daily basis for a few weeks or so. We didn't end up going through with it though, because I realized that simply taking time away from each other wouldn't resolve anything. Plus, a couple that has potential to stay together and be happy should be able to stick it out in good times as well as bad, not needing a 'breather' or anything.

I don't see how breaks can be beneficial. If there's an issue, time apart from each other won't fix it. If anything, it'll only prolong it. It doesn't sound like you and your boyfriend had an issue, per se. More like a lack of chemistry or anything? Sounds like you guys never really had much of a spark and didn't break up more out of convenience.

• Eh, I'm not the type of person a break would work for. If there are problems we can't fix by talking through them, then I doubt a break would fix them. Sure, it's good to give each other some space to cool off after an argument or something, but that would be 1-2 days max. Not 2 weeks.
    But different things work for different people. I know that for me, it wouldn't work, so if we needed a "break" from each other then we might as well just break up.

• My advice to you would be, if you love each other and really want to make things work then talk things through, don't go on a break. I'm talking from personal experience here. You'll be tormenting yourself for 2 weeks thinking what's going to happen after. Neither of you should put your life on hold for no particular reason.
    Either talk things through and try to work things out or go your separate ways.
    Either way, I wish you the best of luck and I hope you find happiness in whichever direction you choose x