Is it common for girls to reject a guy based on height eventough he's taller?

Something that happened to me back in highschool was that my crush, who is 5'7, rejected me (I am 5'9), and the reason being I was too short for her.
I was 17 then, I am 21 now and almost done with college but it still bothers the hell out of me to this day. I still cannot grasp why I wasent tall enough for her when I was in fact taller. And I wasent even a scrawny guy so that she would feel big next to me, I was pretty buff and athletic, so I dont get it.

My question is should I keep expecting this? That is if I ask out a girl that is close to my height, in the 5'7,5'8 range, should I expect to be turned down?
Am I to most girls in that height range too short, eventough I am taller?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm 5'7 and I think 5'9 is alright. Especially if he's a bit bulky. I do find it hard to be attracted to guys who are shorter or just as tall. Some girls prefer even taller. It might be superficial, but it's pretty much something we can't really control. Like people not being attracted to a certain body type, nose or stretch marks etc.
    So you might get rejected by some girls because of your height, but so can guys be rejected because they're too tall or girls being too short or tall. That's life and it's not fair.

• I get that its not fair but its still very unpleaseant. Just imagine you as a girls have a crush on someone for several years and when you finally build up enough courage to make a move he tells you he doesn't want to date because he think your breasts and butt is too small for him and that you are not a real woman or something stupid like that. Now that would be rude and extremly superficial of him to say and he would perhaps deserve a big slap on the face. But to a girl it can be a real confidence killer.
      Which is what happened to me, my confidence, was utterly destroyed, I've spent the next years thinking I wasent tall enough for girls therefore I am not a real man.

• Did she tell ypu you weren't a real man because then she really deserves a slap in the face.
      Ofcourse it's rude and superficial from her, but aren't we all a little bit superficial? We can't be liked by everyone for the stupidest reasons.
      We all have something that makes us less attractive for some people. I'm sorry it destroyed your confidence, but you shouldn't give up hope. There are a lot of girls who will like your height.

Most Helpful Guy

• I see a lot of couples around where the guy and girl are similar in height or the girl is taller.

What Girls Said 11

• She could have used the height thing as an excuse, or maybe for her personally it is a big deal. That's an individual preference, and definitely not good to harp on. Her rejection isn't a reflection on you, but her narrow minded preferences.

No you shouldn't keep expecting this with every girl. I know girls who are dating guys their exact height or a bit shorter than them even. I know a few girls who are 5'7 who either a) don't care, b) has a preference but is dating a guy also 5'7, and c) who only is really attracted to extremely tall guys (like 6'5).

• Your height is fine. That girl wasn't worth your time anyways since she obviously wanted someone taller. That is HER preference, not a universal one. It's been like 4 or 5 years since she turned you down. Time to move on from it and stop expecting that you're going to be rejected for your height every single time. At least she was honest with you.

• Some girls just like really tall guys. You might be taller than her but she still likes guys to be even taller. It is just one persons preference, I would not let it bother you years later. Also, if she liked you enough she would look past that I think. I am really tall so it I can't be too picky about height, to find someone much taller than me is absolutely awesome! But, I would settle for an inch or two above my height if I really liked him.

• She told me, she prefers really tall guys because she likes to feel protected in a big guys arms. Now for her it didn't seem like a big deal but it was one of the most emasculating moments for me. She's effectively saying she needs a real man who can make her feel safe and since I am not super tall I cannot provide that.

Imagine now a girl has a huge crush on a guy and he tells her that she has a small butt and small boobs therefore she's not a real woman or something like that. My guess is, for most girls aged 17(my age at the time), it would completely and utterly obliterate their self esteem, which was probably fragile to begin with.

• You do realize if you place a height requirement that a guy needs to be at least 6'4 or something around that range, you're limiting youself to only 4% of men. Thats assuming height is your only standard and you dont care about qualities like good looks, great body, intelligence, education, humour to filter based on.

And also assuming that tall guys in general like tall girls, like you said your tall guy friends dont look for tall girls. And I've noticed that too, since there was a guy in my class, about 6'5, which means he can literally pick and choose from girls, and somehow he dated a 5'2 girl.

So maybe if you lowered your height standards you could end up with a handsome, highly educated, hard working guy who happens to not be 6'5, instead of a super tall but fat, ugly, slob who has no ambitions in life. Because like I said, most guys aren't as tall as you'd like, height is normally distributed.

• Right. JUST like I said in my original comment, I am not too picky with height because I cannot limit myself to guys that are that much taller than me because there aren't many. ^ See my original comment again? I was just saying that in my last comment that I can still FEEL bigger even if they are only an inch or two taller, I did not say I don't date them though. This is my last response since you seem to just be skimming my response. I am sorry that a girl you met had a PREFERENCE for taller guys, not all do, don't beat yourself up over it.

• I never rejected someone for their height but I've been rejected because of my height before so I know the feels, sucks hellz ballz :/

• How tall are you?

• But if you met a shorter guy who made it clear that he has no problem with you being taller and it doesn't bother him one bit, would it still bother you?

• No, unless I would notice anything in his behaviour that screams 'height complex'- That's just the ultimate turn off, if he's confident with his height and me being a bit taller, I'm perfectly fine.

• The only time I'd reject a guy is if he was shorter than me. Girls do prefer a taller guy in general but how tall they mean depends on how tall they are themselves. Some girls wear heels all the time too so they would want a guy at least 3" taller than them.

• Thats beyond stupid, because when a girl wears heels she doesn't actually become taller. She only LOOKS taller, there is a difference between looking like something and actually being it. If I put on a superman costume I'd look buff, but no one in the right mind would look at me and think, wow that guy is really muscular.
      If you stand on the the top of a building, you're not 100ft taller than everyone else on the ground.
      If the guy is taller he's taller, period. When you are saying you won't date him because when you wear heels and your FAKE not REAL height exceeds his, you are effectively saying you won't date the guy because of shoes. Yes you are literally rejecting a guy based on shoes.

If you dont want to date a shorter guy fine, but why on earth use shoes as a screening device to filter out guys you would otherwise date, its just shoes.
      Conclusion, its stupid and lacks any shred of logic.

• For the record I don't wear heels often. They kill my feet. What can I say? Some girls enjoy heels but don't want to be looking down at a guy because it makes them feel awkward.

• I'm 5'7 and I would date a guy 5'9. That girl was obviously trying to find a reason to reject you. She isn't worth it, move on.

• Nope, I am 5'8 and I've dated shorter guys so no

• Thanks, you're awesome. Hope most girls that are 5'8 think like you

• I like to wear heels sooooo a guy only 2 inches taller than me won't really sibside

• What if the guy wore shoe lifts or something :D

• I'd consider it

• Depends on the girl, I am like 5'8" and would like for him to be at least 5'11" - 6'

• But what happens if if he's 5'9 is it a no no.

• Also if I don't look big next to him, and I like his personality, then why not...

• Thanks for the input
      I just to like to know my chances with girls of your physical stature.

• I would never reject a guy because of height unless they were shorter than me (I'm already a bit of a midget xD) Though I prefer guys that are taller than me even when I wear really high heels, that's ideal for me, I'm around 1.60, so my ideal guy should be 1.75 or taller, my ex was 1,78, and that was perfect (sorry I can only do the metric system lol)

• I am 1.75m myself, I prefer the metric system too since I use it mostly in my college studies.

As for your statement that you would never reject a guy cuz of height unless he's shorter
      imagine a guy saying I would never reject a girl because of boob size unless she was an A cup or unless her booty and waist were not x inches. I can imagine there being lots of girls who wouldn't appreciate blantantly superficial statements like that.

• I meant to say I would never reject a guy if he was taller than me, but anyway it's a bit difficult to find guys shorter than me, and it is just my preference, i like guys taller than me

• It's common for girls to reject guys who they do not find attractive and have no romantic interest in

• Oh wow what a fucking revelation. You added literally nothing to the question what are you trying to say, girls don't reject guys for height well then why don't you say that instead of trying to be sarcastic.

• @Josht11 thank you for proving my point that you are not worth shit. Threatening me online is the lamest response ever. I bet you never even lifted a weight before.

Also I never insulted or made antagonistic comments to the asker.

Wow you are a loser and you have issues.

Grow up.

• @Josht11 I'm not going to argue with you online forever because I have a life. So bye little boy

What Guys Said 5

• Damn that's unlucky I'm only 5'4 but I also have no game so there's probably lots a reasons that girls reject me.

• Not sure sounds shallow though, better off without her :) I say keep trying you won't know until you try

• Depends on the woman. I am 5'8, and I have been rejected, because of my height a couple of times. Also dated a women that was an inch taller than me.

• Depends. Some women are okay with the man being a little taller. Some women want a man to be at least 4-5 inches taller.

• It depends on girl and your look. If Brad Pitt had been 5'9 women still would want to suck his dick.