21 year old dating a 40 year old?

I recently started dating an older guy, he's 40 and I'm 21. We get along great and I really like him and he feels the same way, he's desperate to tell his friends and family about me but I've been keeping it quite because I'm not sure how my family will react. Does age really matter?

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm not gonna lie and say that it's not a big gap and that you won't face a lot of differences in experience matters because it's not true. However, I'm not saying that it's not gonna work either because it can work. It all depends on both of you. The reaction of your family is unpredictable, but you're a grown girl and they should accept your decision.

Most Helpful Girl

• Age does matter for some, not in regards usually of the younger person but people will most likely question why he has a great interest in you and why he can't find someone around the same age as him because 21 and 40 are a huge difference in the life course and where you're both at. HOWEVER if you're happy and can make it work by all means! People will always have their two cents

What Guys Said 10

• You are an adult and are entitled to live your life the way you intend to. If age doesn't matter to you, then age doesn't matter, PERIOD. NOBODY can tell you differently...

• If you're compatible emotionally and physically then it shouldn't matter. You're both legally adults.

• it won't matter when you're 25+ in my opinion. 21 is still kinda young to be dating a 40 year old, but it's not illegal, just my personal opinion.

• When I was 40 I wouldn't have touched a 21 yo. in my opinion relative age matters: 40 is the double of 20.

• you can not always choose who you fall in love with all you know is you love them.

• I am dating a girl Close to 30 years my junior... I see nothing wrong with older/younger...

• Age doesn't matter.

• People will always have something to say.
    If you love him and he loves you back, go for it.

• it matter to a certain extend... it can work but the risk of it not lasting too long is very high, think twice if he's worth it

• Yeah, age will matter. The 40 year old has a bit more of life experience than you do. Hell, this guy is old enough to be your dad. I won't say it won't work, because it could. But be warned. Your family may have mixed feelings about this.

What Girls Said 3

• I've said it before and I'll say it again: As long as there's chemistry and everything's (physical attraction, shared interests, matching maturity level etc.) aligned then I think age doesn't matter. Obviously a 5 year old and an 80 year old being together should absolutely be illegal because that's pedophilia but you get it.

• yes it does. Anyone who say otherwise is a liar!

• Age matters. Age is a taboo still in our society and there are obstacles, don't kid yourself about that. You are in completely different places in life and there will be conflict when one of you doesn't care for things the other wants to do, like things you'd want to do at age twenty he's already done that, been there, and will probably not want to do it again. Those are the kinds of things you need to consider.