Split The Cost Of An Engagement Ring? Yay or nay?

Would you be okay with it if your boyfriend wanted to split the cost of the ring he bought for you?

• Yes
  • Definitly not!!! Who does that?

Most Helpful Guy

• I dont care about how financially stable I am, when I propose I'm buying you a rock (with my money)

What Guys Said 2

• If it's practical, why not. Traditions are stupid.

• Women seem to have no limits when it's not their money... so if they were required to half the expensive shit they wanted I guarantee most women would be less high maintenance.

• It's not the norm to have expensive things constantly being bought for you. Besides, an engagement ring is a unique circumstance.

• Again, if you don't want to get married, don't get married. This is the 21st century. Nobody is forcing you to, and trust me, no girl wants you to marry her just because you feel like society is pressuring you to. It seems like you have a larger issue with the whole institution of marriage, and you're taking it out on the issue of engagement rings.

• @samhradh_leannan You are talking about the vast majority of males. It's not just me as an individual. Most men are pressured to get married, most men don't want to get married, we do so because if we don't comply the women we love become jaded and leave.

But yes, we were talking about wedding rings and the answer was that women should pay half.

What Girls Said 6

• No, to be honest, that would kind of ruin it for me. I'm happy to foot the bill for some other things to help offset the money he's spending on a ring (I already pay for way more dates because I'm more financially stable, so that wouldn't be new to us), but I don't want to formally split the cost of it. That's just not romantic to me, and it would eliminate the symbolism of the gift. There are a lot of traditional/romantic things that I don't expect and am okay going without, but an engagement ring is one situation where getting my magic moment is important to me. I want it to come from him, and I want it to be a surprise. That can't happen if I'm splitting the cost with him. If everything goes well, I will only get one proposal in my life. I hope my guy will understand that and have the same desire to go all out.

• I don't need a huge rock. In fact, I'd prefer something modest. But I want it to come from him, or there's not much point in getting a ring in the first place.

• Aren't engagement rings usually a surprise? Wouldn't that defeat the point of a surprise?
    Lmao I know nothing about this haha

• in my opinion, a ring is a present from a guy to you as the symbol of commitment, it should be his money. but I will happily split the ceremony cost with him, after all the ceremony's cost is much higher

• definately🙃

• No... I bought his, and he bought mine. Honestly, I'd rather just not have a ring or wait however long it takes him to get me a ring, than to pay for my own.

• Nay. An engagement ring is a symbolic gift, not something you buy (even partially) for yourself. I'd rather he get a cheaper ring than ask me to split the cost. I'd also never let him pay for his wedding band, that's for me to buy and give to him.