Should guys open the car door for a girl/girlfriend on a date?

My ex and I were together for a long time, and he was always doing romantic gestures but my favourite was that whenever he picked me up he'd open the car door.
Maybe some think it's old fashioned but I like that kind of thing 😊

Anyway, I'm seeing someone new and we've only been out a few times. He's really nice, and I don't want to compare but I'm just used to a few little things (like the door for instance). And because it's not what I'm used to its (a little bit) of a turnoff.

I dont want to bring it up and sound like a bitch, but I like a gentleman who knows how to treat a girl properly. If he doesn't do things like that is it a bad sign?

• Yes
  • No
  • Other

Most Helpful Guy

• Open the car door? Woman please... you can walk yourself to the date that i'm going to end up paying for!

In all seriousness, i don't think it's practical all the time, but if he's waiting outside her house for her to come out, its a nice little touch to have the door open for her.

Most Helpful Girl

• You're exactly right, you're used to a few things and because it's not what you're used to it's a bit of a turnoff. That's completely normal, and I think most of us subconsciously compare even if we don't mean to. From his side, maybe he's just never been told to do that before so it's never even crossed his mind. Think about it from another way though, are there things this guy does that your ex didn't that is romantic as well? Everyone shows love differently. Also if it really matters to you that much, it might be okay to bring it up. If he's that nice I don't think he'd mind.

• Well my ex cheated on me. So that's why it's only a little bit of a turn off in the scheme of things lol.
      Maybe I can super subtly bring it up in conversation and see what happens haha, it's only very new at the moment

• Makes sense. Sorry about your ex :/

Honestly though I don't know why you're getting such an large number of people telling you it's not okay that he doesn't open the door for you. I doubt half those people have doors opened or open doors for themselves.

• Thanks, I don't have any hard feelings I've moved on with my life.
      But yeah I jjust think it's a sweet gesture
      A lot of people seem to think that equality means no chivalry but I disagree
      Anyway, I'll see what happens 😊

What Guys Said 5

• i always did it.

but if she's like already on her side and reaching for the door im not gonna jump over the hood of my car to open it for her, I'll just let her open it lol.

• Well I voted.. other.. because although I will do it.. a lot of other guys would not.. but then again if she was to make a big fuss over this, and she is entitled to do this if she chooses.. I would respect her wishes on this and any other thing she was to say to me.. it is not carved in stone to open the door for your lady friend.. to me it is just a nice thought.. and if I did open it for her say every time.. I would not expect nothing in return.. take care now

• Every single time, maybe not. But pretty frequently though

• I always did that for my girlfriend great upskirt view

• Well most of the time they're already opening the door and getting out the same time as you are. Its hard almost impossible unless you say hey, waaiit.

What Girls Said 6

• bad sign like for what? That he is not into you or something?
    Nahh, not at all. He just either never learned those old fashioned Gentlemen rules or he doesn't care for it.

If you can see this going further than a couple of dates you can bring on the subject. I have always brought it up with my dates in the past.
    Some weren't even aware that they get like a trillion Brownie points for doing that stuff and it is a really nice thing to do. (Plus many many more chances to feel her up, sneak in a kiss and have a look at her behind)

My boyfriend is usually very "gentlemanly", sometimes he forgets and I make a joke out of it, like if we are entering a Restaurant I will just stand next to the door and look at him like "well?" in a fake upset brows up kind of way. his usual response is "oh, please excuse me dearest Madam" and then slaps me on the ass as I walk by. Win/Win lol

• if they want. This is why I don't date.

• yes. guys need to get over themselves and realise that manners are still cool.

• No, that's annoying as hell and shouldn't do it. Why the hell am I going to wait for a dude to walk all the way around a car to open my door? I'm not going to wait that long, plus again just seems weird.

• I mean it's nice & all but unnecessary. I am capable of opening it myself.

• There's nothing like good manners and common courtesy.