Why is catcalling so bad?

First off I don't catcall, but here is my argument.
I know its annoying sometimes
BUT
I've heard things like its sexist. Really? Of course guys don't catcall guys cause they aren't gay.

Its rude. There are other girls that are mad because some guys won't make a move on them. I bet if you crush catcalled you, you'll probably blush and try to show interest.

Catcalling is a way for a guy (or a girl) to try to get with the opposite sex. Someone had to make a first move in order to get something. I bet catcallers get laid (most are after that im guessing) more often or probably get into more relationships because they continue to do it. People continue behavior after it is REINFORCED! If they were always rejected they probably would stop.

A guy who is willing to face public rejection to go after a woman seems alpha and dominate, which leads to attracting women. What do you guys think?

Also i don't catcall as I said in the beginning.

How would you want a stranger to approach you since you don't like catcalling?

Most Helpful Girl

• It's considered demeaning and rude. It also tends to be rather inappropriate and low class. Rather than catcall at a woman from a distance like a coward, it may be best to approach her and pay her a sincere compliment - it's more respectful, no?

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 20

• Catcalling isn't a compliment or a way to let us know that you're interested. It's used as a way to show power over us. You're basically shouting "hey I have the power to make you feel unsafe and there's nothing you can do about it". Have you watched videos where girls do the same behaviors to guys? The guys get physically uncomfortable and tell her to stop and that she is being creepy. Then they still don't understand why we don't like it. Also for every guy who just leaves it at a catcall there's at least one that takes it to the point of killing the girl for rejecting him.

• I just think it's disrespectful, instead of cat calling go up to the female and introduce yourself.

• Maybe for some men who do catcall, that's the only way they can get a woman's attention. Some might have tried being decent when approaching girls, but they always got rejected. This may be another reason why nice guys turn into 'jerks,' 'creeps,' or 'bad boys.' Some women can be just as sexual as them, and it's true. There are women who are very sexual the way many men are. If they see attractive women, of course they want their attention in some way. I'm not the biggest fan of it, but it does happen, and it will happen. Some men don't mean any harm by it. Some think all women like it, even though that's not the case. Some guys will do ANYTHING to get an attractive woman's attention. It's true that some women like it because they like it when a man is dominant enough to show off what she considers 'his masculinity.' But, there are women who are disgusted by it, and rightfully so. Women are people with dignity and strong people, not sex objects.

• It's demeaning.
    And RUDE.

• To put it simply; it's disrespectful, rude, and creates extreme discomfort especially if the woman has been raped before. It's so simple: Have respect and be courteous with people's feelings. I don't know why some men want to argue against that or try to find loopholes around basic respect and regard for the feelings of others.

• None of my friends have ever shown interest on men who catcalled them. They were being at best disinterested and at worse trying to get away from those men as soon as possible.

• it's disrespectful. and catcalling isn't making a move. if anything those guys that do it are looking for attention from other guys around them. I've never seen a guy catcall women while no other guy was around.

• simply because I am not a cat.
    what happened with just saying hi?
    it is vulgar and I feel embarrassed not flattered at all does that to me in public. it is a form of disrespect.

• Apparently today, just a simple 'hello' from a man can turn into a huge catastrophe for a woman just as much as cat calling. She will STILL think he's trying to 'get in her pants.' I've read about women who flip out on guys just for saying 'hi' to them. Some women automatically think 'He said 'hi' to me because he finds me attractive and wants to have sex with me.' In a lot of cases, it's true that guys want to talk to girls they find attractive to get a chance to ask them out. But, that doesn't mean they are just looking for sex. Some girls don't care because they stick with their gut feelings in order to keep themselves safe. It's very common and understandable. It's not worth getting yourself into trouble over, though. If you don't want to talk to someone who approaches you, just excuse yourself. It doesn't have to be complicated.

• I understand what you mean. I'm just talking about women who dont want to deal with men approaching them at all.

• @candygirl54 yea I get what you mean too

• Catcalling is scary. You are walking in the street and someone isn't going to talk to you they are just commenting on your body like you are an object. It's creepy as hell.

• Just to let you know, if my crush catcalled me. I'd be disgusted and turned off completely. A respectable guy doesn't yell, "HEY SEXY MAMA WANNA COME PLAY WITH PAPA!!!" to a stranger as she's walking by. He's only in it to use you for sex.

• personally, when someone cat calls me I get the urge to punch them in the face. It is very annoying and, to me, it means that the person in question, whether man or woman, feels that their desire for sex is more important than my desire to be left alone. If the person catcalling was really interested, why not just come up and say hi instead of making me turn around and say "f*ck you?"

• It makes women feel uncomfortable.

Just because the comment presents something desired about the woman’s appearance doesn’t mean it’s appropriate or respectful.

• It's rude, the car horn is annoying and loud when used up close

Men only do it because they know they get away with it and because they can

I disagree my friend is a guy and he told me he gets catcalled by masculine guys

• I don't like to get catcalled, it feels a bit annoying and disrespectful, it's a way for guys to act douchebags and the society is okay with it. I like it way more when a guy comes in and introduce himself and say what he wants to say to me, because I know that takes a lot of confidence and courage.

• It's disgusting and makes me very uncomfortable.
    There are other ways to "make a move" on someone.
    Even my guy friends don't like being catcalled.
    I don't see anything flattering about it.

• The problem for me is the things they say. Like really obscene and vulgar things that I feel uncomfortable repeating even on tinternet. I really don't think it works. It makes me feel embarrassed and humiliated and want to run away.

• it's usually creepy especially if i'm alone but if i'm not alone, i don't mind!

• I just find it rude and it can be quite creepy, I have never been attracted to a catcaller, and I find catcallers, at least where I'm from, they're either old creepy dudes that sometimes even whisper things in you ears when they walk pass you like "I'd love to eat you everything" or they're young guys that obviously are just doing it to show off infront of their friends, which I find very immature, they'll normally just catcall you and then they'll walk/run away, a lot of them will do it from their car/motorbikes, I just don't see why guys are still doing this, I don't think this type of guys are getting laid, they just seem so rude and they act so low class, do they really expect the girl they catcall to respond in a positive way?

• Because it's demeaning. It lowers us to a level of an sexual object in the eyes of some creepy horny strangers. But what would you know, you're just an another ignorant man. No, they don't get laid... They are despised.

Did you know it's punishable in some countries?
    Here's the video that was a mile stone in making catcalling a punishable offence in Peru.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FI2LY4dk-s

• Meanwhile in reality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75aX9mlipiY

Beacuse the reality is that disrespectful people will do disrespectful things. But for some reason this is made to be a "blame all guys"-thing

• @ikissedtheskyonce

So the reactions are real proving that women can very well also act like this. Thats the whole point for me posting that video.

• @FakeName123 no one said that women do not act like that

• Why is it so bad? Don't make me laugh...
    You're mixing up definitions. Hitting on somebody in a respectful manner or giving compliments and catcalling - in other words street harassing and being a fucking douche - is a different story. And it also comes along with an invasion of private space ie touching...

• Catcalling is disrespectful because it objectifies those who get catcalled. When it happens it's usually done by strangers too so it's uncalled for. Guys get catcalled too. Doesn't happen often but it definitely is possible.

• What do you mean by objectify?

• alright thanks for your opinion

• No problem

What Guys Said 14

• 1. I've never cat called a girl, I think it's disrespectful
    2. Yes girls I've been intimate with I regularly cat call <3 :D
    3. I've had situations where girls have cat called me - didn't make a difference to me lol
    4. Cat calling doesn't necessarily get someone laid. I've laid more girls than some of my friends that are cat callers can even imagine about and they know it
    5. I don't condone cat calling when you don't know the girl intimately

• yes, I also see it as disrespectful

And I love what you said on number 2 lol. It's endearing :) :D

• @HookingSwan thank you, young lady :) :) :) can't help it I am that way lol

• It's disrespectful to yell sexual phrases towards a person that is just going about their day. It degrades the woman into simply an object of sexual desire rather than an individual with thoughts and feelings.

The men that catcall them are simply horny men who think that saying obscene comments will get them laid. It's not something you can understand unless you experience it.

To simulate the experience I took part in an experiment on GAG and created a female account. I wrote an entire myTake about it.

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a26207-the-female-experience

• I don't know man... let me see @Mustachekitteh get over here right MEOW!!!

• Because it's
    1. Rude-shouting comments about someone's looks across the street isn't a polite or nice way to pay a compliment

2. Embarrassing-it makes a lot of (if not most) people feel self concious and uncomfortable. Why would a decent person do something that has a high chance off making someone feel uncomfortable?

3. It's not a good way to get laid (as far as I'm aware...). Have you ever seen or heard of someone just stopping what they're doing, going over to a catcaller and offering to go on a date or have sex? At most the catcaller will get a smile and a thank you.

• Uhm it's just bad etiquette really, it's creepy too putting girls in an awkward embarrassing position from a total stranger. No doubt some girls and guys like it too ofc. Wouldn't say Alpha at all xD more obnoxiousness. I've only ever catcalled in groups because of conformity and typical ladish behaviour so I'm a culprit. But instead when I'm on on my own I just glance at girls I find attractive with an assertive smile or wink.

• Only one of my friends cat calls girls and I yell out loud to him you're being an asshole right when he does it.

• Why? That's easy: lots of women don't have real problems to complain about, so they make up false issues like catcalling. That's not to say that it isn't rude, but it's certainly not a societal issue that deserves any attention.

• its disrespectful, but at the same time, its a first world problem... so its not something i too often concern myself with

• I have never done it and never will you like a girl go and tell her simple as

• It's bad because you are invading someone's space with no respect for the person at all.

• I agree I just a girl if I have compliment to her face and don't like catcalling

• People just like to overreact and act like everything is awful.

• Yeah another gager had a post about this yesterday since she gets annoyed at older guys catcalling her and she is young enough to be their daughters but seems to happen to both guys and girls if they look good and reveal more but I myself have never done this to anyone, I just look quick

• I got catcalled. Kept jogging and felt like a boss. No problem!