Is it "out of style" to be in a Non-interracial relationship?

I'm only asking this because it seems to be the 'norm' now to date out of ones race. My boyfriend and I are both the same race (different nationality), but we don't usually get the aw's and the Oh's like my friends who're in interracial relationships do. Everyday online I'm seeing an interracial couple and everyone is so intrigued by it like its something out of a storybook. Interracial couples walk down the street and everyone is smiling at them and their babies get called "cute" just for being rich. I personally have nothing against it AT ALL, I just want to know why people are so obsessed with it.

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• It's an interesting thing. I think we are wired to "ooh" and "ah" over seeing this because interracial marriage/dating was not widely accepted, socially speaking, until a couple of decades ago. I also think a lot of people in my generation (I'm 30) were pressured by their parents (or encouraged at the very least) to date/marry within their race; I believe it may still be common. So that's why I think so many people are so obsessed with the idea.

What Guys Said 9

• If you date someone because it is in "fashion" that is just stupid. If your attracted to the person, great, have at it.

• Its the new popular thing is to date some one other than ones own race. As its now considered to be like the ultimate thing you can do to I guess be a rebel against the norm. Its not that weird other than others may see it as weird as long as you and your partner are getting along and are enjoying the time together there isn't a reason you should not be together.

• No, who cares about what people think? I would love to get with a girl of my own race, but since I am mixed European, Irish and Italian, I could go whatever way I want... just like anybody else. And if somebody is getting into a relationship with somebody outside of their own race because it's the popular thing to do, then they are stupid. If you actually like somebody from another race, then good, you are fine

• vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/.../latest

Nope, the majority of couples are not interracial. Definitely still in style.

• Everyone's trying to show how accepting and enlightened they are. The truly enlightened just treat everyone the same way.

• No; most people still date within their race. And choosing what is "in-style" is a pretty stupid way to choose who to date.

• Not really, if shouldn't be "out of style" to prefer one's race. I personally only date within my race regardless of nationality or ethnicity.

• I agree it seems to be out of style in a PC liberal marxist society.

• Liberal Marxist society? Its the Right Wing of Trump and other party of Faux Noise who dont like multiculturalism

• It just shows how progressive they are. If you want that kind of bullshit admiration your best bet is to adopt some African kids.

What Girls Said 9

• "and their babies get called "cute" just for being rich." Huh?
    It's never out of style to find someone you love and who loves you back. Race (or wealth) has nothing to do with anything. Happiness has to do with everything.

• No its not. Case close. stop asking! Gosh! Its normal!

• I date interracially all the time, not because it's the "in" thing but because I'm very attracted to black guys. If you care about your guy, keep him. You shouldn't feel pressure to date black guys but you shouldn't deny the attentions of a black guy just because of his race. It should be about who you're attracted to, not race. Parents and grandparents saw race in everything. We should be above that.

• I think focusing on such trivial matters is stupid, just date whatever individual you find attractive. I happen to be into someone from another race atm, but I wasn't "programmed" or"influenced" into a non-interracial relationship.

• I'm in am interracial relationship not because it's the thing to do but because that's where my heart navigated. Previous relationships have been with someone of my own ethnicity. I still got the "cute couple" comments on the internet. I think it's normal for people to be curious when two people of the opposite ethnicity are together which causes attention... sometimes unwanted attention. As for the babies part, that's ignorant and there are lots of non mixed babies that are cute, just like there are mixes kids that aren't.

• What is the deal with all the interracial relationships questions today?

God, even Im sick of this!

• And I am in an "interracial" relationship as so many people call it

Im just sick of al the trend about it today

My ears are full 😑

• Because it was once taboo and now being more accepted, the pendulum is swinging towards interracial dating. It's like the in thing to do. That does not mean it's the in thing to do nor does it mean that non-interracial relationships are out of style. This does not equal the same superficiality as what colors are in. Right now black and white are the colors that are hot in female fashion so everybody is going out all their clothes to look in style. Don't throw out your boyfriend

• maybe you and your boyfriend just aren't as attractive as them. oh well, get over it!

• I never insinuated anything regarding looks...

• mhmm, either way, you sound jealous. why should you care that they get more attention than your relationship. maybe you should spend more time focusing on the issues you clearly have in your relationship that are making you crave approval/validation from outside people.

• I have nothing against interracial dating but I find it odd how if you do not have a SO who is a different race you are suddenly intolerant or closed minded just because your child is not mixed