18 dating 14? Weird, right?

Okay so pretty sure I already know the answer to this but.. There's a senior who likes me (he's 18, I'm 14 and a freshman). As great as he is, and as much as I would love to date him, the age gap scares me. If he was younger, I would totally date him. But he's 18 soooo... I haven't talked to my mom yet, but I'm pretty sure she'd freak out about it and yaa.. I just wanted others' opinions on age gaps and stuff. He says that's not a big age gap, there are people with much bigger gaps but I think a 14 year old dating an 18 year old is just plain wrong. He's not the really sexual kind of guy, and even if he was I would dump him in a heart beat if he ever tried anything. He has a lot of respect for me, and he's a good guy. What do you guys think?

• Totally weird and not right.. Don't date him
  • If it's okay with your parents and if you feel comfortable, sure
  • No that's not weird, the age gap really isn't that big and doesn't matter so go for it
I ended up telling him that I really wouldn't have felt comfortable with the situation, and that my mom felt the same... He didn't take it very well and was very immature, but hopefully he'll come around. Thanks for the help everyone!

Most Helpful Guy

• Not weird at all. Its 4 years. Its illegal for sex yes. I know in high school it's an eternity. You are really not that far spart but if you known him forever and grew up together I'd see nothing wrong with it. If you are the small few that actually last through high school and college. You'll look back and say how dumb was I to ask this. Of he's a senior and wants to date you through the summer and after I'd say he really likes you. Most kids are like screw those younger kids we are adults now lol. And he's probably getting a job or going to college so maybe he sees a furture with you I don't know. If it's ok with your parents what the hell go with it. If it where a 31 year old thats a different story

Most Helpful Girl

• I would date him, but in a normal mindset I don't think you should. There are a lot of risks with him being more physically developed (maybe stronger?), and he's around that age where guys do think about sex a lot.
    It won't be weird in a few years when you're an adult, because by then such an age gap doesn't matter at all. I chose the third option of this poll. If you want to date him, go for it, but be safe. You can date him while you're both still in high school, but once he graduates then it will become weird.

I'd seriously be a hypocrite if I told you not to date him, because I'm dating someone far older than that.

What Guys Said 10

• Extremely weird.

I'm from Germany and in this country, you can only get access to certain night clubs if you are at least 18 and I have heard of 14 year old girls trading sex for access...

that's extremely retarded of the boys and the girls...

DO NOT DO IT !!!

• at your age it is a huge difference. consider yourself dating a 10 yr old... gross right?

as you get older, that gap no longer makes much difference. it is a maturity difference at that age.

• "Totally weird and not right.. Don't date him".

• Not just wrong, its illegal.. Unless there is literally no sex involved. Thing is people will always suspect.

• There's actually laws placed so that these type of relationships are legal, and capable of having sex with it being legal.

• @YoungJuice not in the usa.. Most states legal age is 16 if you're below that the person you're with must be no older than 2 years older. In some states they require parental consent. In some states it's not legal at all. Like my state.

• Fam, no way absolutely not! You shouldn't even be dating at this age.

Then again, if you wait till you're 20, he'll be 24 and that's OK.

• the age gape isn't the problem. the problem is you are underage

• Not right. He's an adult.

• It's not that big of a deal, age doesn't matter

• just wait until you're older to try. focus on skl for now

• Personally, I think that dude is insane. Since he is eighteen, he is considered an adult and you are a minor. If you were to cry rape... his life would be completely fucked. That is dangerous as shit from a male's perspective.

What Girls Said 11

• No. Please don't. If he's 18, then technically, he's an adult.
    Depending where you live, that could be ILLEGAL.
    Stay friends with this one, girl. He sounds like a great guy, but the age gap is way too large.

• ask yourself this, what does an 18 year old want with a 14 year old? Seriously you're still developing, hardly matured and just starting out your teens and he's at the end of his. Whether he is sexual or not, and if he respects you he would wait until you are at the legal age. The fact that he wants to be with a minor should be a BRIGHT RED FLAG!

Kinda of gross! My brother that same age!

• I'd say that is weird. He is 18 which is considered a legal adult you are 14 so you are a minor. he shouldn't be interested in a 14 year old young girl. If you were 18 and he was 18 that's fine, but I 14 year old dating an 18 year old just doesn't sound right. That's is really dangerous and you could end up getting something you don't want. I'd say wait until you are 17 to date or even 18.

• When I was a senior in hs, I had a friend who turned 18 and there was a freshman girl who started flirting with him. He straight up told her that she was cute but that she needed to find someone her own age. He was looking out for himself because, okay yes he was quite promiscuous back then, and being 18 you can get in trouble for dating a minor.
    I think it's up to you though.

• I wouldn't recommend it. At 18 he's about to go to college... he's an adult. At age 14, you're just staring high school, you have 3 more years left, you're both at different stages in your life. Also, It's not legal for a 18 year old adult to date a 14 year old. If you were 17 or maybe 16 turning 17, I'd be ok but you're only 14 soo it's not legal. Ik it sucks but you'd probably be better off finding someone that's in the same stage of life as you and closer to your age. Good luck.

• Initially the age is gross. But then I think about the age group environment in high schools it's the same. It's not that bad or morally wrong, he's not 25. But YES I would definitely get parent's permission first because it is weird for a senior to date a freshman.

But really, you should tell your parents about any potential guy no matter the age.

• I'dwait till you're a little older.. if your parent find out they may press chargers on him happened to one of my friends he was 18 and she was 15 we were in high school we were seniors and her parents told him to stay away from there daughter and they would press chargers if they were together

• I think it's ok as long as u don't do sex stuff.

• It's fine. I'm dating a 20 year old college student, a much bigger age gap.

• I think it's ok. I know people will disagree here