How to reject someone nicely and still remain friends?

There's this guy I've liked for the past 3 years but his best friend is into me. I'm friends with both of them and they are both really nice guys but the thing is, my best friend is into my crush's best friend who happens to like me.

So it's like
my best friend (who likes) my crush's best friend (who likes) me (who likes) crush

How do I explain this situation to him without hurting his feelings? I don't want to lead him on and eventually crush his heart. :(

What Guys Said 1

• He is NOT your friend. ok? if you don't like him, you tell him. But don't expect his friendship. He is NOT your fired. One more time, he is NOT your friend. The guy already has friends. What he wants from you is something else.

• Pretty much. If you are selfish and continue to string this guy along because you want to preserve your friendship (cough validation/ego boost). You will be no better than the men who use women for sex.

What Girls Said 1

• Tell him the truth. If your friend likes him you can always tell him that she's into him (especially if she's cute as well).