Best way to let a guy down after the first date?

Okay so I've just been on a date with a guy I met online. Unfortunately he came across as extremely cheap (complaining about the price of marshmellows for 5 minutes straight), told me he doesn't like his family at all and they're all psychos and just generally talking about miserable topics during the date. Constanlty checking his watch and asking me if I had any plans later (hence I was left with the impression that he didn't want to see me again either). There were some positives but a lot more negatives than I can get over :/

He just sent me a text saying he had a lovely time and that he wants to see me again next weekend. Now in the past I've simply ignored guys that I didn't want to see again, but I'm wondering if there's a better way I can do this? A more gentle way.

So what would be the best thing to say if I were to text him back and let him down? Or do I just ignore him?

• Text him back
  • Ignore him

Most Helpful Guy

• I think you should be a lady and reply to him. Be nice as just text back "Sorry, no." If he doesn't get the message then you can be a bad ass bitch and write him all this you said about him. I feel like it'll be more fun this was lol.

• Oh and tell him he had a booger sticking out the whole time, that'll be hilarious lol

• :) He actually took it really well! I decided to be honest and as nice as possible. He sent me a nice reply saying he was disappointed but thanked me for my honesty.

• Nice! You at you being all lady like.

Most Helpful Girl

• I always used something like "It was nice getting to know you but I don't see anything evolving from this. Best of luck to you though."

What Guys Said 11

• I think you text him back and say your not interested in anything. Say maybe you want to be single and didn't realize that till the date or its too hard to date and your not interested in dating anyone right now. Ignoring people in my book is childish and I applaud you for taking a step to find a better way to deal with things

• Text him back, don't be a bitch. Act like an adult and be responsible.

• straight. forward.

• just tell him how you feel. i mean it´s the first date, there aren´t any hard feelings anyway... i hate it when girls just choose to ghost it xD feeling ignored isn´t nice.

• "Text him back, don't be a bitch. Act like an adult and be responsible."

-@aledeeurope

• yeah, don't avoid the guy. Just be quick and direct about it. Don't drag this on.

• Actually the best way is to text and if does not work then at least talk to him. Don't ignore, never ignore that is a legendary offense if you ignore.

• Just tell him you didn't enjoy it.

• Just be straight up and tell him. There's no reason to hide or sugar coat things.

• Being ignored hurts more than a text letting him know that your not interested

• Text him back, if he acts like a baby about it, then ignore him...

What Girls Said 4

• I'm not interested. Done. You don't have to explain anything more. It's direct and clear :p

• I think decent people would have the courtesy to reply to a text like that. Just tell him you're not interested in having a second date with him.

• Let him know! Closure is always best.

• text him "we're not compatible stop texting me" and then ignore him if he text you