What's with monogamy?

Monogamy... I don't get it. Look, maybe you just think I'm a horn dog. But I'm not, all the time, just when I have too many fireball shots. Anyway, I don't think monogamy makes a lot of sense, or at least I don't understand why not being monogamous is frowned upon. There are so many people out there, really interesting people. Is it just a little ridiculous that we lock ourselves down to one individual, one personality, for the rest of our freaking lives? How will you ever get to know someone else on that inmate a basis ever again? Anyway, what are your thoughts?

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't frown in people not being monogamous unless they've agreed with a partner to be monogamous and then go against that.

I personally am very monogamous. I wouldn't be comfortable being part of a polyamourous relationship, but I respect that that's what's right for some people, and as long as everyone involved consents then I think that's cool.

I'm just very introverted; I don't 'click' with people very often, and it drains me to spend too much time with people as a rule. I like being devoted to just one partner, and for him to feel the same about me. I know I'd probably feel jealous in a polyamourous relationship and/or guilty because I know I'd always have a 'favourite' if I were to date more than one person. And stressed because of my introversion. I'm much better one on one even with friends, let alone with sexual relationships; I'm not even into the idea of a threesome.

Again, I think it's totally cool if monogamy isn't for you, you just need to find partners who feel the same way; they're definitely out there :) . And other people being monogamous shouldn't infringe on your life; we should all just be accepting of one another :)

Peace haha :3

Most Helpful Guy

• having an intimate relationship with someone is costly and resource demanding. You have to put in numerous hours and dollars. I think this is a contributing factor for why so many prefer monogamy, and lots of people are possessive and don't like to share their significant other.

What Girls Said 4

• Some people don't want to know numerous people that well. They find the one person they know really well, and that person knows them, and the connection is there and they're satisfied and don't want to look elsewhere.

• Getting to know people is time consuming. And frankly, draining. I'd rather get to know one person extremely well than 50 people kinda well. I don't understand this compulsion to try people on like hats.

• Maybe I am different. When I truly love a man I don't look for other men. And for me, it takes emotional connection for me to have sex with a man. I'm in a happy monogamous relationship and I am lucky that my man shares my values on sex.

• How many people do you know who are really only with one person for their entire life?

We're not really monogamous lol, not in that way at least. It's not one person forever... it's one person at a time.

I don't think monogamy is ridiculous, it just might not be for everyone, which is fine. I think whether you want to be monogamous or non-monogamous, it shouldn't be frowned upon, just be open and honest with your partner or partners.

What Guys Said 3

• Polyamorous relationships don't tend to work very well. Men and women with multiple lovers don't love them all equally. Frankly, the people I see who want polyamorous relationships are always after an exotic thrill, not a strong emotional connection. It seems like the relationships are seldom about loving two people equally. They're more often about wanting to have sex with two people, or being in love with one person but wanting to have sex with the other.

• I have been married longer than your 25 years of life and I enjoy it. I don't want an empty apartment and the bimbo of the month.

• Well think of it this way. If you have multiple partners you do not have enough time in your entire life to figure out or learn about your multiple partners. It's not even possible to learn and figure out one person in a lifetime. It's that mystery and discovery that keep things fresh. Monogamy is for those who want love from no one but their S/O. Ask some older couples about why they are still together, and if they feel tired in the relationship. Honestly, if you think it's locking yourself down to just one person, then what makes you think if you can't be happy with one that multiple will make you happy? More isn't always better, but it does make major headaches.