Do you think a couple should know how many people the other has been with?

When someone you're dating asks how many people you've slept with. If asked can you say that's not important or should you just answer honestly? Is it important to know these things in a relationship?
personally I don't think it matters

• yes you should both know
  • No it's not important
  • Other

Most Helpful Guy

• Women generally have a higher body count than man. It is also pretty normal to see a man who is in his 30s who is a virgin or had only 1-2 partners. On the other hand, for women, unless they are extremely, extremely picky or religious... it is not uncommon for women to have 5+ partners by the time they are 30.

Most Helpful Girl

• If we get straight down to it then the answer is no. Nobody is required to tell their SO how many people they've been with. As long as you tell them if you're HIV positive or not or if you have any kind of STD's then the number shouldn't even matter. I don't understand why people want numbers. Is the answer "I have been with other men/women before our relationship" not enough?

I understand telling your SO if you've been with someone else. What I don't understand is why numbers has to be involved? Asking for how many is like asking for a fight lol. If you're STD free and the other person knows you've been with someone else before, then why should numbers matter?

And if you think this is a matter of "respect" and "trust" and that the other person deserves the right to know, then you need to stop being so self entitled and respect if the other person doesn't want to talk about it. Numbers doesn't matter!

What Guys Said 4

• I think your life partner has the right to know everything about you inside and out. If that isn't the case, then what distinguishes your partner from your friend?

• yeah they both should know

• i want honest reply from my partner

• I couldn't care less...

What Girls Said 6

• It's not important to me. If he asks, I'll let him know, but I won't be the one to bring it up and ask for specifics about his past sex life. I might ask about past relationships, if they were significant and important to him, but I don't need to know how many people he's slept with. I just need to know he's clean/free of any STDs/STI's.

• I said yes you should both know, under the condition you said, if they ask. Like I don't think you need to put it on a checklist of question and make sure you ask it lol but I think if your SO asks it's not something that needs to be or should be lied about.

• I think if someone wants to know then the information shouldn't be hidden but it's not really necessary. What's more important is to know if they're clean from any previous sexual partners.

• Honestly, I was talking to a guy I like, and we're now dating. And I've never had a boyfriend in my life, so I had nothing to hide. He, on the other hand has had many. I felt like I could trust him if I knew, I asked him and he seemed uncomfortable. To me it meant that he wasn't happy with his past relationships. I think it's actually helped us to have a better and trusting relationship.

• I don't think it's all that important. I'm a curious person so id be curious, yeah. But it wouldn't affect how I felt about the person at all.

• No it's not