Would you dump someone if you found out they have 3,000 of debt?

I've been dating my boyfriend for 5 months now. He told me he's never been great with money. This is the first time I'm in debt. I have no student loans but dug myself into a 3,000 hole this year. It's on my line of credit so it's 5% interest but I feel embarrassed and worried he will dump me.

Most Helpful Guy

• What is this debt from, if you don't mind my asking?

Personally, I wouldn't break up with a woman because she has debt. I don't have any student loans either, but I know that's not the case with everyone. Even so, it's one thing to simply be in debt. It's another to be completely irresponsible with money.

Most Helpful Girl

• By the time I'm done with university, I'll be in debt by over £21,000. So yeah... No.

What Guys Said 17

• I would not be happy. If I didn't see you exert discipline and actively see the debt being reduced, then, yes, I don't see a future because what I do see is a person who will get into trpuble in the future and not able to have the fortitude or willpower to get herself out of trouble.

• 5% interest is fine lol. For an average American, $3k in debt is literally nothing. Student loans, car payment, some have credit card or business debt, mortgage for some, etc

• thats it?

• It depends what kind of debt. If you put yourself in debt because you bought stupid useless junk, then I might leave.

• Pft.

If you're worried about 3,000 then you'd HATE to see my loan statements.

• That depends. Why do you have 3000 dollars of debt?
    No student loads doesn't mean necessarily "bad".
    Did you invest on something? Did you needed a car for reaching your school, since your transportation doesn't help you reach your University? Did you need medical assurance? Those are reasonable things to get in debt.
    Did you spend your money on videogames, new TVs, some very expensive gym furniture, dresses or something like that? In that case, Sayonara.

• That alone wouldn't cause me to dump a girl.

• XD one wouldn´t be able to date any student with less than rich parents in that case... it´s not a big deal.

• No that's even a lot these days, most Americans have $10,000 in credit card debt

• I wouldn't marry you unt you get your act togetger. but I wouldn't dump you.

• only if they expect me to pay it off for them

• I don't think he would dump you if I were him I'd give you the money but not dump you 😕

• No I wouldn't dump her for that, I personally already have a bunch of debt from my student loans

• That's nothing

• I would stand by you and help you get to financial stability...

• That's three months work.

• That's nothing. I have about $100,000 in student loan debt.

What Girls Said 3

• That's nothing. And a reasonable interest rate. I'd be shocked if he used that as a reason to dump you. The average US household has over 15k in debt at around 18%

• No i help them find a way out of it

• That's nothing. My dad has over 600, 000 in debt and mom still loves him.
    Just work on your debt and don't ruin his.
    Also if you call your creditor they can reduce the loan if you ask. So I've heard...