Would it bother you if you could tell a guy/girl is less intelligent?

If you could tell a guy or girl you're dating is less intelligent, would it matter to you, and why?

Most Helpful Guy

• If it's by a significant margin, yes.

• For the relationship to have depth I'd want to be with someone I can have a proper conversation with. Also if were to stay together and have children I wouldn't want to be breeding with an idiot.

• *we were

Most Helpful Girl

• yes. I don't know why its just really attractive to me when a guy is able to hold a conversation about things that actually matter. s

What Guys Said 17

• I would not want a wide difference in intelligence. That would prevent the two of you from relating to each other well. But a small difference either way would not be a big deal at all.

• That's pretty standard... I don't expect someone to be as intelligent as me, but I do require intellectual stimulation. She needs to have some brains or she's just going to be tortuously boring.

• I would prefer someone who is closer in intelligence, just because I enjoy the conversations too much!

• doesn't really matter. I kinda actually prefer her being less intelligent.

• So it could bother you if she were more intelligent than you?

• Crap. I'll remember that one :P I think this might be an issue I have haha... too independent/smarter/bit too cocky about proving I'm better at things.

• So that you can out smart her. Lol.

• no.

less intelligent people compensate by getting things done... a struggle for many intelligent folk still thinkin' about how to go about it.

• Very true, that's the contrast between book smart and street smart people.

• I prefer them more intelligent that makes the game interesting

• Yeah.. I consider myself intelligent ( but im kinda lazy) but when someone is obviously not very bright at all, it would be a turnoff. can't really talk all yhe topics i can with her...

• it would if they are both stupid and immature otherwise it would not bother that much, but i still prefer intelligent girls.

• well it really depends are we talking like kim kardashian intelegence or or normal average intelegince?

• Nope

• There is nothing wrong with average intelligence.

• What are you using to measure the intelligent? School grades?

• Nope not at all

• This is going to sound arrogant but I've never not had this feeling. I've never had the opportunity to date someone who I felt was as intelligent or more intelligent than myself. It's not a good feeling but you learn to live with it. They're still a ton of fun to hang out with. They at times can say some very insightful stuff. I've tried to stop seeing it as a difference in how smart we could be and started trying to see it just as a difference in what we were interested in growing up. Like every single girl I've dated has been more knowledgable about sports than me. So does it matter? Yes it most definitely does but for me it just needs to be over a certain threshold. Like as long as I'm okay with my children being raised by you I'm not worrying about us being on the exact same intellectual page.

• It doesn't really sound arrogant, I think its just natural to know. I know it, but I am yet to figure out if it's a problem. I think it may not be, because as long as a guy is intelligent and mature about the important things, I can have a conversation with other people about the things that don't interest him or he just doesn't understand.

• To guys it doesn't matter if the girl is less intelligent. However it will be a problem for women if the guy was less intelligent.

2 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 14

• Intelligence can be an advantage in the opposite sex but he doesn't need to be a brain box/ mr know it all, constantly waffling on about facts and figures. Average would suffice for me.

• 0|0
    • I couldn't deal with an idiot.

Conversations are always better with a person who has a similar intelligence level to yourself.

• Yes, my ex was as dumb as a post but thought he was smarter than me. This is a person that can't do basic addition and subtraction in his head. Dumb as a rock.

However, if you're less intelligent but aren't an ass about it, I could deal. I just don't like when someone is less intelligent and is too proud to admit they aren't that smart.

• yes! It would bug me if I had to explain him everything!

• Not really.

• Yeah i guess. I mean I like to talk about certain topics and if the person i'm with is not competent or interested enough to engage in the conversation then it would bother me i guess. And of course nobody likes dumb people so.. But if we're talking "my grades are better than his" kinda of intelligence, that wouldn't be a problem.

• It definitely matters.

Pretty much the core of whether I'll like him or not. If the guy is dumb as a sack of bricks, the attraction is immediately gone.

• If I can't have an intelligent conversation with you, then I'm not going to date you. Simple as that.

• It slightly does, because I would want to be with someone who was bright. It annoys me talking to people who make me feel like I have to tolerate a dumbass.

• I would probably have a hard time finding him attractive if he seemed dumb.

• i don't care if he's book smart at all, i've got enough brains for both of us. i never run out of random facts, did u know banana slugs are hermaphrodites? see what i mean lmao

• What is a banana slug? haha

• that was the end of the 4th season i think, they end those characters plotline soon after that and begin a new generation. last time i watched it i was starting high school lmao

• Cool thanks! might watch that on Netflix someday haha.

• No, there's more to it than intelligence.

• I don't like men that aren't smarter than me.

• I'd it impacted the quality of our conversations, it would. But there are many kinds of intelligence.