Would you date someone who was unemployed?

I'm 23 and I'm thinking of going speed dating.
I know it's something that will count against me. I mean Id date someone in the same situation "graduated from uni and hasn't managed to find permanent work" but maybe that's just because I'm in that position and can relate?
I'm a physics graduate after being lost for a while and taking on 2 unskilled temporary jobs and tutoring a bit I'm now trying to get a job as a data analyst I get interviews for junior positions but there's programing and tools I still have to learn and improve on as well so in the meantime I think I'm likely to be out of work till I learn them well.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 10

• I already am dating someone who's unemployed, same as me, though we're both still in uni. I think that I'd want someone to at least be doing something, like if they're not in employment, I'd want them to be in education, not just sitting around doing nothing.

• Postgraduate study would be expensive you usually can't get a student loan after you finished undergrad. Im working on my portfolio and learning independently I've learnt a lot and networked a bit but I think I'm learning slower out of uni.

• Yes but only if he's actively trying hard to get a job. I don't want to date someone who wants to sit around at home all day playing video games or something.

• If he's in school and not working because of that, I'm okay with that too. As long as he has some way to support basic living expenses.

• Depends on the situation. I would not date someone who's been unemployed for a long time, who doesn't seem to be looking that hard for work, or who tends to go through cycles with unemployment being a regular occurrence.

When I started dating my boyfriend, he was unemployed. But he had been laid off due to recession and was only unemployed 3 weeks before going back to an old job. He wasn't sitting around playing video games all day either. He was actively looking for work as well as spending his extra time finishing off value-adding projects on his property.

• i'm currently dating a 25 year old guy who is living on a student allowance or some other form of government assistance.

• at your age, sure. at my age, it depends on why and what his plans are.

• Depends on the circumstances, but most likely.

• Just because you don't have a job, doesn't mean your any less then the person you are pursuing.. Or anyone for that fact!!
    Your trying.. Who gives a shit what they think. If someone won't date you because your In-between jobs.. Then they are small minded and aren't worth your time.

If you were someone who didn't give a shit about wether you worked, but cared about your partner working.. Then that would be a different story.

• Yes, I would. Especially if he was already looking for a job. Or if he had a good reason to be unemployed.

• and until u will learn and be uneployment, who do u expect to pay for dates?

• I didn't say I was broke until I learn and I'm permanently employed.

• Though I'm also not looking for someone high maintenance who demands we do expensive things.

• I said yes because it would be smug of me to immediately think that you'd need me to take care of you (which is what most people would think).. when in fact your just looking for another person to enjoy your time with. Now if you are set out for a relationship to be taken care of like a child i'd pass on that quickly.

What Guys Said 23

• Yeah cuz your out there looking for work. Its not like your sitting on your ass all day playing computer games in your parents basement. Your interviewing and did some odd jobs. This is normal for kids nowadays getting out of school. Ever since the last recession employers are wanting to hire more experienced individuals. Which fucking sucks because you get out of school and can't find a job. Someone was telling me the other day their friends kid just got his engineering degree and can't find anything. There are people exactly like you.

• While studying and once I had my degree, waiting to be drafted I too worked unskilled jobs: mason, warehouse worker. It didn't stop my girlfriend (now my wife) from continuing to date me. Working as a mason was really hard but it paid well.
    Since I hadn't accomplished my military duty I had to accept what was possible: unskilled labor.

• I was actually thinking of trying for the military early on but found out I can't for medical reasons.

• One of my unskilled jobs was in warehousing as well it can certainly be a tough environment.
      I was packing phones 9 hours a day 5 days a week in a secured warehouse constantly being told to hurry up. I lasted just over a month as a temporary worker there but apparently there were 2 guys before me during the previous week. I suppose If it's a job anyone can do you're just two easy to replace.

• Would I? Sure. I work now and can look after myself financially, and once I finish college next year, no shit, I'll be able to afford a house with the money I'll make... At 19.. My own house.

So yeah, a "house-wife" kind of girl would not bother me in the slightest. In many ways I think I'd actually like it. Though if she had career goals and stuff that's incredible too.

But, would a girl date an unemployed guy? Honestly I doubt it. Money is a major form of attraction to girls so that has to be taken into account.

• Date, possibly, eventually, when I have time and when I get to it. But as an established long term relationship? I don't see how long it can or will actually last though, and I don't blame the other person I blame the way this world and reality is with the whole economic situation it 's difficult for anyone to hold on to their job forever.

Oh and a big fucking thanks to the rise of and use of automation and automated machinery, that and uh offshoring of jobs.

• There is a difference in unemployed but working to resolve the situation and unemployed due to being a shiftless loafer. My decision to date in this case would be dictated by which category they fit into

• No, love doesn't pay the bills.

• Maybe. It depends on why she is unemployed and what she is doing to fix it.

• I would want to hear her story out but at first glance yeah that would be something that stands out to me

• the main thing bro is your trying to find work and not just sitting on your ass good for you :)

• Well I had a my first good job at 22 but hey everyone is different...
    So yeaa I would date a girl like that as long as she is not a lazy ass who wants me to pay all the bills... and soon gets a job Lol

• depends on their situation tbh. if they are a lazy pos, then i have no time to take care of you lol. Show me the worth.

• Damn right i would. I want my missus at home waitin for me when i finish work. I dnt mind taking care of my girlfriends.

• Most gals, if they are on truth serum, will say they won't go for an unemployed guy.

• As long as it's temporary or they have a good reason.

• women wouldn't date an unattractive guy but would date an unemployed guy, this should teach you about the true nature of women and how despicably shallow they really are

• yes i would

• If they're actively seeking employment, I wouldn't care.

• If she was in school yes

• Are you hot?

• I stay in good shape and I'm not disfigured or anything but It's not really for me to say if im hot or not. Personal bias comes into it if I say I'm hot or I'm ugly then a lot of that's probably going to be my self perception.

• Sorry being unemployed is a deal breaker.

• If they're either still studying or actively looking for a job, yes.

• Yes, You can date for her who unemployed.

• I don't care if she has no job, now On the other hand... she will care if I don't have a job.